Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    What you just linked also spells out that yeah, it's pretty stupid to say.
    Eat an orange like an apple, just pull it off the tree and bite into it, and see if they're comparable.

Deleted
    What you just linked also spells out that yeah, it's pretty stupid to say.
    You're obviously missing the point...

Oranges and Apples are both fruit that grow on trees but that's where the comparison ends... They both smell, taste and feel very very different thus the idiom

Jesus christ okay we're doing this because you don't get it...

Are they plants?
    Do they have a flesh?
    Can you eat them?
    can you put them in pies?
    Are they warm colored?
    are they fruit?
    are they sweet?
    Is their smell pleasant?
    Are they comparable in size?
    Do they come from trees?
    Are they grown in many areas?
    Are they healthy?
    Are they full of vitamins?

Oh look, I just fucking compared them.
    Do you want to present more evidence that you don't understand the meaning of the expression? Because you're doing a great job so far.

Deleted
    Coward.

If you're going to say it, atleast stick to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    The last time I checked, the First Amendment held no sway over the UK.
    I think a lot of folks over the pond don't appreciate just how many restrictions there are on free speech here in the UK.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

He can always work for Breitbart...

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Where the fuck is our FoS lovers? Oh wait, it's not Muslims that he shat on, so that's okay.
    Nice Victim complex you have there.

On-topic: Someone is surprised that in this day and age you can't criticise Jews?

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    The last time I checked, the First Amendment held no sway over the UK.
    True. So, um ... where exactly did I mention the First Amendment?

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Freedom of speech doesn't apply to a private entity. You can fire someone over things they said as long as you don't work for the government and even then there are limitations such as releasing classified information etc.
    That's the point I was trying to make. Not sure why you quoted me.

As with Kelvin Mackenzie the sacking was a pretty cowardly way to protect the paper - they get rid of the columnist (who has a history of being a fucking fuck and was pretty much hired to be a controversialist) but ignored the fact that other people read and approved the article before it made it into print.

I'll never understand how he didn't realise how this would end his career, if there was an editor or anyone else who "signed off" on this I think they need to be held accountable as well.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

As long as you want to present more evidence you don't know what the word compare means.
    Your list also applies to a number of other fruits, yet those fruits would give an apple farmer absolutely no data on improving his apple orchard. Growing grapes, tangerines, or oranges is not the same as growing and harvesting apples. Eating an apple is not the same as eating an orange. They smell different, taste different, have different texture, different vitamins. So comparing them as the same? Doesn't work. Which is the whole point of the expression.

They appear the same, but are not the same. Hence comparing apples to oranges is comparing two things that are different and saying they are the same. That's the entire meaning of the expression. Whether people apply it correctly is a different debate.

But please, do continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Your list also applies to a number of other fruits, yet those fruits would give an apple farmer absolutely no data on improving his apple orchard. Growing grapes, tangerines, or oranges is not the same as growing and harvesting apples. Eating an apple is not the same as eating an orange. They smell different, taste different, have different texture, different vitamins. So comparing them as the same? Doesn't work. Which is the whole point of the expression.

They appear the same, but are not the same. Hence comparing apples to oranges is comparing two things that are different and saying they are the same. That's the entire meaning of the expression. Whether people apply it correctly is a different debate.

But please, do continue.
    Play it his way. He gave 13 pointers on why they are the same, so shall we have 13 pointers, that by his logic prove he is the same as chimpanzee.

Both exist in the same galaxy
    Both exist in the same solar system
    Both exist on planet earth
    Both need food to live
    Both need water to live
    Both have head
    Both have ass
    Both have arms
    Both have legs
    Both have eyes
    Both have ears
    Both have skin
    Both have flesh beneath the skin
    Both have bones

Ok, that was 14 already. It is now proven that him and chimpanzee are the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    True. So, um ... where exactly did I mention the First Amendment?

That's the point I was trying to make. Not sure why you quoted me.
    First part was clarity for those people who you were mentioning, second part was to you stating that the people in the US most often who falsely claim freedom of speech are typically the ones who normally are against it which wouldn't apply in this case.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    I'll never understand how he didn't realise how this would end his career, if there was an editor or anyone else who "signed off" on this I think they need to be held accountable as well.
    That's what I was wondering. Typically any time anything like this goes down in journalism an editor has to go down as well.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    Let's start a pool, everyone! How many posts until this thread devolves into "but freedom of speech!" complaints about ... a British man who wasn't censored by his government and was merely forced to face the consequences of a poor decision?

I'm going to say ... five.
    Freedom of speech is a constitutional right, but its not a employer right. If you say something your boss doesn't like, prepare to get your ass fired, ESPECIALLY if you're one of the faces of a company.

It would appear that the freedom of speech and the press are working as intended. He's not a victim. He said something stupid, and paid the price. No government involvement was needed.

Not cuz they were jewish, they just gave better head than he did.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================