Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyyrogue View Post
    Im in MA, where it is legal to now smoke pot recreationally
    I'm in another state where it's legal to smoke/grow/possess. However, the entire country hasn't come over yet. And some places have horrific laws still on the books for even minor/petty drug possession.

And don't forget the three strikes laws - that's sure fun. Small bag of weed can get you life in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Because, then we get to a point where we are denying gays, blacks, women, christians, muslims, right wingers, left wingers, hipsters, nonvaxers, anti-GMO, Man made climate change deniers, Mets fans, people who drink Pepsi.

A failed background check done for insurance reasons would deny them a position working with money.

If they were going to rob a bank again, do you think it mattered where they worked? If you owned a bank, would it matter if the bank robber worked for you or worked across the street?
    I'm fine with denying people employment for any reason. If an employer wants to be a bigot, he or she should be free to do so. And people should be free to point out that such a person is a hateful bigot. Once again, the problem solves itself.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Perfect, then everything is free.
    Also, people drink at a young age because its glorified, i think if people really saw what long term drug and alcohol abuse did to you, they wouldnt do it.

Just eat an edible, or smoke a joint, or have the occasional craft beer or glass of wine.

Also, people drink at a young age because its glorified, i think if people really saw what long term drug and alcohol abuse did to you, they wouldnt do it.

Just eat an edible, or smoke a joint, or have the occasional craft beer or glass of wine.
    I prefer naps. Naps are better than all of that shit.

Thats the problem though, people wont let them suffer, everyone is trying to enable this type of behavior. I agree on just making it "legal", because being illegal just helps things like the cartels and MS-13. But we live in a society where everyone needs to be saved, which is just not realistic, if you make poor life choices, you have to live with that.
    I agree to an extent. Recidivism is high in part because there is a certain %age of people who really do want to change their life but cant because nobody will hire them. So they result back to crime. You can either choose to help when you can, if you can or help pay to keep them locked up. Otherwise an ex-con released from jail/prision who cant find an honest job is just a time bomb waiting to explode on society

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Not a victim less crime then.
    Exactly - thanks for agreeing. Possession is certainly a victimless crime - but those others are not, obviously.

I'm fine with denying people employment for any reason. If an employer wants to be a bigot, he or she should be free to do so. And people should be free to point out that such a person is a hateful bigot. Once again, the problem solves itself.
    I can agree with that as well.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I'm in another state where it's legal to smoke/grow/possess. However, the entire country hasn't come over yet. And some places have horrific laws still on the books for even minor/petty drug possession.

And don't forget the three strikes laws - that's sure fun. Small bag of weed can get you life in prison.
    Well, three strike laws were abolished a few years back and labeled as unconstitutional by the supreme court.

http://www.mintpressnews.com/supreme...es-law/207222/

This was big news, my minor was in criminal law, and this was all going on 2011-2013 when i was a senior in college.

Give it 5 years and most states will allow recreational pot, also, when i lived in Texas, no one gave a shit.

- - - Updated - - -

I prefer naps. Naps are better than all of that shit.
    Valid answer

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    I agree to an extent. Recidivism is high in part because there is a certain %age of people who really do want to change their life but cant because nobody will hire them. So they result back to crime. You can either choose to help when you can, if you can or help pay to keep them locked up. Otherwise an ex-con released from jail/prision who cant find an honest job is just a time bomb waiting to explode on society
    To an extent i agree, but some crimes are just too serious for most jobs to look "look the other way". There are also a TON of work release programs, people just have to show up and take them. Most of them teach trades, where a felon is more likely to get employed. Unfortunately, felons probably wont end up being financial advisers or Doctors, however there are quite a few who become lawyers.

To an extent i agree, but some crimes are just too serious for most jobs to look "look the other way". There are also a TON of work release programs, people just have to show up and take them. Most of them teach trades, where a felon is more likely to get employed. Unfortunately, felons probably wont end up being financial advisers or Doctors, however there are quite a few who become lawyers.

I agree, you wont get many Doctors or Financial advisers, most may end up doing some sort of manual labor job or a service job and their past record should not be a major impediment in getting employment. Someone who served 7-10 years for manslaughter on a DUI related incident shouldnt be held back from a construction job for example. I could understand if he was going for a warehouse job that required some driving, under which I would be ok having him do other stuff around the shop until I felt I could be comfortable with him driving delivery trucks for my company.

Thank you for agreeing with me then that you can't have one without the other, obviously.

- - - Updated - - -

Except for the part that they literally do.
    Alright, show me how. How is someone literally harmed by a guy growing pot? How is someone literally harmed by a dude driving a car with a car full of meth? How is someone literally harmed by some asshole snorting coke in his bathroom?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for agreeing with me then that you can't have one without the other, obviously.
    Exactly. Some crimes are victimless - possession is one of those. I'm glad we agree.

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, show me how. How is someone literally harmed by a guy growing pot? How is someone literally harmed by a dude driving a car with a car full of meth? How is someone literally harmed by some asshole snorting coke in his bathroom?
    Those are great examples of victimless crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Exactly. Some crimes are victimless - possession is one of those. I'm glad we agree.

- - - Updated - - -

Those are great examples of victimless crimes.
    I'm still waiting for an example from him (or her). I honestly don't expect to get one.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm still waiting for an example from him (or her). I honestly don't expect to get one.
    S/he is going to argue that the drug trade is interconnected, so one affects the other. But that's a shallow analogy and doesn't work for this discussion. After that, s/he will come in with either a butterfly effect argument, or that using drugs affect innumerable unknown people - both of which are also shallow and incorrect.

7+ Year Old Account
    Looks like you're trying to sell it. "no officer, I know I have 100 lb of weed in my van but I just have it cuz I live in Colorado!"
    Where did you get 100 lbs? And even if it's 100 lbs, if I don't sell it, who is the victim?