Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Guild mate says I am only doing 550k dps in ToS N

I am confused as to why I have such crap dps ? I am only i899 geared, and no Tier gear yet. I am running the Blades build.

Character;
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...in/dingohunter

Here is a picture of my somewhat rotation. Top bar is for AOE mobs, bottom bar is the main single boss target;

Any tips or ideas ?

Quick look at your armory and my somewhat limited Havoc knowledge tells me your crit is way too low, do you have the Pawn addon (it tells you whether an item is better or not based on stats rather than ilvl)?

Deleted
    Way too much mastery and missing crit for your ilvl.

Also, please rename

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Quick look at your armory and my somewhat limited Havoc knowledge tells me your crit is way too low, do you have the Pawn addon (it tells you whether an item is better or not based on stats rather than ilvl)?
    Never heard of that add on. This guy was a casual Tank when I first created him, so still has some left over Tank gear

And last couple weeks, dusted him off and trying to make a quality DPS.

Gear-wise:

You've very low crit.
    Bloodstained Handkerchief is a really bad trinket and Engine is kinda medicore really compared to what we've got.
    You don't have Arcway/Court of Stars set.
    Sephuz isn't one of the best legendaries unless you can proc it.
    You've 1 gem slot not gemmed and 2 weaker than they should be enchants. No neck enchant either.
    You don't have 2/4 set from any raid.
    You've too high mastery. Haste is too high as well seeing as you don't have ToS set and no Cloak legendary.

Also, not confirmed, but pretty sure the hidden appearance for Havoc DHs is a DPS loss.
    ^ is joke

So basically your dps is ok gearwise, your gear is just bad.

Deleted
    20% haste is okay
    drop mastery for crit
    get 2/4 set
    entchant your gear

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing the boots on same tier as moargs is so sad lol. Sephuz is actually pretty nice, the crit stats are amazing. Realistically DoG should be like an inbetweener, above A and barely below S. If DoG doesn't line up, and you aren't lusting at pull, sephuz/CT is the next best choice. Depends on which ring/cloak you are replacing. E.g. if you have a 950 cloak then you'll likely keep using sephuz.

Quote Originally Posted by Virent View Post
    Gear-wise:

You've very low crit.
    Bloodstained Handkerchief is a really bad trinket and Engine is kinda medicore really compared to what we've got.
    You don't have Arcway/Court of Stars set.
    Sephuz isn't one of the best legendaries unless you can proc it.
    You've 1 gem slot not gemmed and 2 weaker than they should be enchants. No neck enchant either.
    You don't have 2/4 set from any raid.
    You've too high mastery. Haste is too high as well seeing as you don't have ToS set and no Cloak legendary.

Also, not confirmed, but pretty sure the hidden appearance for Havoc DHs is a DPS loss.
    ^ is joke
    I appreciate the advice, thanks.

I was not aware of the hidden artifact appearance being a dps loss?

Here is a pic of my spell rotation, top row being for AOE mobs, and bottom row being boss single target.

- - - Updated - - -

What's the Arcway and Court of Stars set ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    I appreciate the advice, thanks.

I was not aware of the hidden artifact appearance being a dps loss?

Here is a pic of my spell rotation, top row being for AOE mobs, and bottom row being boss single target.

- - - Updated - - -

What's the Arcway and Court of Stars set ?
    My palm smacked my face so hard just now I left a welt.

Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    My palm smacked my face so hard just now I left a welt.
    I am guessing you are being sarcastic here ? So what's so funny ?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am confused as to why I have such crap dps ? I am only i899 geared, and no Tier gear yet. I am running the Blades build.

Character;
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...in/dingohunter

Here is a picture of my somewhat rotation. Top bar is for AOE mobs, bottom bar is the main single boss target;

Any tips or ideas ?
    Your biggest issue is in your title. You don't even realize how poorly you're doing. You need a guildmate to tell you your own DPS?

First and foremost, you have to improve yourself as a player. No amount of BIS stats or ilvl will make a bad player good. Learn your class' rotation, get the appropriate addons (starting with Recount or Skada so you can see for yourself how much DPS you're doing). DBM is a must. TMW is probably a good choice for new guys to let them know which abilities to press, etc.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Your biggest issue is in your title. You don't even realize how poorly you're doing. You need a guildmate to tell you your own DPS?

First and foremost, you have to improve yourself as a player. No amount of BIS stats or ilvl will make a bad player good. Learn your class' rotation, get the appropriate addons (starting with Recount or Skada so you can see for yourself how much DPS you're doing). DBM is a must. TMW is probably a good choice for new guys to let them know which abilities to press, etc.
    I have been using DBM for years, as well as GTFO for Raiding. Super good for Tanking, my main is a DK Blood Tank i923. But all my years playing WoW ( November 2004 I bought the game ) never played DPS until this year.

I've never used Recount or Skada before, will install those tonight. Not familiar with TMW ?

As far as my rotation, the one I listed above was after watching several DH Havoc YouTube videos this past weekend, I watched the ones with the highest views, and a few were in the hundred thousands, and the AOE and single target rotations they showed are what I'm doing. On single target my rotation feels sport on, it's supr fast, and I see the damage numbers above the boss sometimes at 1million +, and a ot inf the 700k damage range, and others lower of course too.

Off topic, but I do find it weird how dps seems hard to master, meaning super high numbers, compared to just Tanking. I can Tank current Heroic Raids fairly well no problem, and my Guild is pretty strict, and they want me in there Tanking, but I suck balls at dps. I tried my DK in Frost and Unholy, and dusted off my old Warrior and ran Fury, got him to i880 back in winter, to to give DPS a shot this past winter, and I couldn't get them over 450 to 500k dps, and my Guild said I should have been 800k dps as of patch 7.1m but for some reason, just could not do it. But I was Tanking those same Raids like pro, never a complaint.

low stats and bad enchants. Until you put a little more effort in you're always going to be subpar.

Well afaik he came here looking for help and to improve. You cant deny ilvl doesn't have anything to do with the amount of dps you do. The jumps in dmg are huge when you compare 890 to 900, 900 to 910. My resto druid is doing 500k dps in balance affinity and resto spec at 920.

And using weak auras or TMW are used by pretty much every mythic raider there is so its not just new guys thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been using DBM for years, as well as GTFO for Raiding. Super good for Tanking, my main is a DK Blood Tank i923. But all my years playing WoW ( November 2004 I bought the game ) never played DPS until this year.

I've never used Recount or Skada before, will install those tonight. Not familiar with TMW ?

As far as my rotation, the one I listed above was after watching several DH Havoc YouTube videos this past weekend, I watched the ones with the highest views, and a few were in the hundred thousands, and the AOE and single target rotations they showed are what I'm doing. On single target my rotation feels sport on, it's supr fast, and I see the damage numbers above the boss sometimes at 1million +, and a ot inf the 700k damage range, and others lower of course too.

Off topic, but I do find it weird how dps seems hard to master, meaning super high numbers, compared to just Tanking. I can Tank current Heroic Raids fairly well no problem, and my Guild is pretty strict, and they want me in there Tanking, but I suck balls at dps. I tried my DK in Frost and Unholy, and dusted off my old Warrior and ran Fury, got him to i880 back in winter, to to give DPS a shot this past winter, and I couldn't get them over 450 to 500k dps, and my Guild said I should have been 800k dps as of patch 7.1m but for some reason, just could not do it. But I was Tanking those same Raids like pro, never a complaint.
    I'm also a tank main and I take DPSing pretty seriously as a tank. The difference between a good tank and bad tank can be 200k+ DPS (that's 120M damage through out the course of a 10m fight, which can easily be the difference between a wipe and a kill), which is a pretty big deal when you're working on progression, so I wouldn't snub DPS just because you play a tank.

TMW = TellMeWhen IIRC, is an addon that tells you which ability to hit next. It's not really used for experienced players since they already know the rotation and being distracted by a shiny button can get you killed, but for people learning the class, it's not bad. Consider it sort of like the training wheels addon for new player to get familiarized with the new spec until they've developed the proper muscle memory for it (and then you can delete the addon).
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain

I'm also a tank main and I take DPSing pretty seriously as a tank. The difference between a good tank and bad tank can be 200k+ DPS (that's 120M damage through out the course of a 10m fight, which can easily be the difference between a wipe and a kill), which is a pretty big deal when you're working on progression, so I wouldn't snub DPS just because you play a tank.

TMW = TellMeWhen IIRC, is an addon that tells you which ability to hit next. It's not really used for experienced players since they already know the rotation and being distracted by a shiny button can get you killed, but for people learning the class, it's not bad. Consider it sort of like the training wheels addon for new player to get familiarized with the new spec until they've developed the proper muscle memory for it (and then you can delete the addon).
    This is not necessarily what TMW is. Its essentially the same as weakauras, but not quite as in depth as weakauras can be. The main thing people use either addon for is to track cooldowns, procs, and buffs/debuffs. Either one can have conditional auras that will show what your next ability should be based on certain variables. I raided with one paladin tank that said he had to manually count in his head to 4.5 seconds every time he used SotR. Another one I tanked with had 4% uptime on consecration and 14% uptime overall on his SotR buff. Safe to say neither of these players had an addon helping keep track of cooldowns and buffs, granted they were both just shit players fundamentally.

The numbers above the boss doesn't tell anything
    And I would say, use Details and not Skada or Recount
    Hard to understand, why you have 2 bars, why not simply one and using Beam when there are 2+ enemies?As you say, you are tanking heroic, so you should know about key-bindings
    We can't see, how you play - this is an important missing part

Off topic: dbm is a must? Are you serious? dbm creates zombies. Many dbm-user are unable to play mechanics without said AddOn - without something, that tells you, what to do. Normal/Heroic mechanics are so easy, that you really shouldn't need this. Just using your own brain and not afk-watching netflix and gg. And furthermore I can't understand, where the 'fun' is, when something else does your job

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noladrew View Post
    This is not necessarily what TMW is. Its essentially the same as weakauras, but not quite as in depth as weakauras can be. The main thing people use either addon for is to track cooldowns, procs, and buffs/debuffs. Either one can have conditional auras that will show what your next ability should be based on certain variables. I raided with one paladin tank that said he had to manually count in his head to 4.5 seconds every time he used SotR. Another one I tanked with had 4% uptime on consecration and 14% uptime overall on his SotR buff. Safe to say neither of these players had an addon helping keep track of cooldowns and buffs, granted they were both just shit players fundamentally.
    I know HEDD or HUDD or something is an addon specifically designed to help out with rotation. Never really used any of those so not sure. I hear TMW is better once properly programmed.

Thank you everyone for the advice, as I said I am still new to dps this year, and only started playing my Demon Hunter in Havoc spec last month, so still gearing up, and learning how to play it properly, reason I came here for advice from you pros to help guide me better.

Earlier this year I dabbled in some DPS with DK, I made off specs for both Frost and Unholy, and could never get them down right to dish out massive dps, back in 7.1 I was only doing like 450k where I should have doing like 700k +. That's why I just stuck to my Tank, and was able to run Nighthold Heroic pretty well, at least my Guild said I was doing well, and they allowed me to stay with them on the weekly runs all Spring in NH H as the main Tank, and my Guild is super cool, but also honest, if someone is sucking they only allow them in the Normal runs not the Heroic runs.

Right now I am only allowed to Tank with them, and if I want to dps with them, they require me to be doing at least 800k dps, which I am not, currently only able to dish out like 550k dps. And the Guild is stacked with some new Tanks, and they lost some dps players this summer, so they asked if some us want to try a dps spec, which I said ok, I will try that out. But it seems a bit more difficult than I thought, to get those higher damage numbers.