Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinushka View Post
    Question to those who drink diet soda and consider their own health. Why don't you choose water? Is it only because of the sugary taste water does not have?
    Because people are addicted to it. Most people who drink soda almost exclusively, also tend to not workout, so the water craving doesn't override the soda craving.

Just add an extra tax to it, problem solved. That is what Seattle thinks will solve their soda problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Coca Cola is going big on non-sugar drinks and artificial sweeteners, at least in the Netherlands they stopped selling Spire with sugar and even with Cola you will find more non sugar versions in the store then with sugar.
    Well, there is Coca Cola zero and light, there is Coca Cola cherry with Sugar, Coca Cola vanilla with sugar, Coca cola without caffeine with sugar, normal Coca Cola with sugar..

Did i forget something or are there still more sugar-versions?

Very old news... studies like this have been around since... well... since when sweeteners became a thing.

Question to those who drink diet soda and consider their own health. Why don't you choose water? Is it only because of the sugary taste water does not have?
    Diet cola has caffeine, water doesn't.

Personally... I just hate water by itself. Drinking any form of bottled water, or tap water leaves such a weird taste in my mouth (yes I know... water doesn't really have a taste) and makes me feel physically sick after drinking it.

But either way, I'm at a very healthy weight and whenever I want to drink something healthier than soda I just drink tea (not the super sugary black tea though, that also makes me feel sick).

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Who thinks drinking diet soda will help you lose weight?
    http://www.telesurtv.net/english/new...0118-0017.html

Fake scientists

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    You're kidding right? Have you never looked into this before? Some of the things they use instead of actual sugar are aspartame, cyclamate, saccharin, acesulfame-k or sucralose.

I already explained that. If you want the entire history lesson on Sucralose, its not hard to find.

Herehttp://www.splendaexposed.com/articles/2005/02/weird_science_h.html

Pretty good list of the chemicals they could have used. Chlorine being the one they chose. One fun tidbit for you

Yum. Totally want to eat that.

Indeed its not. I have looked into this stuff. Sucralose is not natural and requires chemical engineering in order to produce. It could have serious health hazards yet its so widely used. I would cut out all sweets before using that chemical filled garbage.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is one for you: http://www.janethull.com/newsletter/...discovered.php

That includes a complete chemical break down for sucralose. In the land of Rational people, we do research on a subject before we assume we know whats going on. We don't accept it as "not affecting your system" since everything you put into your body has some affect.

Oh, and surely you have seen this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2746847/ I mean, surely you know how animal studies don't translate to humans well in multiple situations.

You linked three studies, concerning Aspartame. My example was on Sucralose specifically. So while nothing has been linked to Aspartame in your studies, a quick search found this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.198c17748b42

Several other articles if you want. Summarized results: Diet soda has been potentially linked to increased rates of stroke and dementia.
    Which diet beverage contains sucralose?

Okay, this is rich!

First, let's keep that little tidbit in mind.

Fact Checked
    Now, we have this:

Researchers say the sugar substitutes added to foods and drinks can lead to long-term weight gain as well as diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
    ...but further down, we get those gems:

Researchers said the seven trials failed to show a consistent link between artificial sweeteners and weight loss.
    So no consistent link between sweeteners and weight loss. Doesn't say anything about weight gain. Just because something has no impact on weight loss doesn't mean it has an impact on weight gain.

“Weight loss is very complicated. It’s not realistic to think that sugar substitutes alone will result in significant weight loss,” she said.
    Again, it states that there is no correlation between artificial sweeteners and weight loss. Which by the way, is common sense. If you have a bullshit diet, drinking diet pepsi won't change shit about it. Drinking diet pepsi by itself won't make you lose weight, but it won't make you fat either. Poor nutritional choices will make you fat.

"Fact checked", huh?

So yeah, this article twists common sense and turns it into bullshit.

Just eat well and make sensible choices. Diet soda has no impact, positive or negative, on weight fluctuations. Just like the goggles, it does nothing.

Now for the health impact artificial sweeteners may have on one's health, that's a totally different story. On that matter, I would recommend staying away from those, but not because they'd "make you fat" as this article claims.
    Last edited by McTroll; 2017-08-03 at 06:36 PM.

No, it's not bad.

The bad comes from people continuing to consume the wrong kinds of foods with low activity levels. A lot of people will actually compensate the calories they save from drinking Coke Zero and such by instead eating more.

Drinking soda without calories, won't make you gain weight. Obviously.
    Drinking diet soda, but then compensating for that "healthy decision" by stuffing yourself with solid sugary/fatty foods, WILL make you gain weight. Only retards would believe that it's somehow the fault of the diet soda.

Same as how diet soda won't make you lose weight unless you combine drinking it with other healthier choices. And even then, it's not the diet soda doing the work.

You can bank on the fact that these "studies", are sponsored by elements with interests in the sugar industry. Something along the lines of; "Don't drink Coke Zero, if you drink 20 litres per day you might get health issues!! Instead, drink our sugary poison which only makes you gain weight if you drink it on top of your other caloric intake for a day!!"...

- - - Updated - - -

I drink both. They're not mutually exclusive.

And I like the fizzy sensation. When I drink something else than water, I stick to Coke Zero over alcohol. Fruit juice is a no, I eat natural fruit instead.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-08-03 at 06:45 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherling View Post
    Have you looked at the nutritional info of Orangina? Orange pulp does not make it a low sugar drink.
    But it's not as hellishly sweet in the taste as Coke and Pepsi, which was my point. Not that it's low in sugar.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fudgeit View Post
    To think this didn't make headlines. I wondrr why?
    Mostly because it's complete, pointless bullshit. The logic behind this is that because your body doesn't get the sugar it craves, you'll eat more of it in other forms. Well, that's up to you, just like anything else is.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    But it's not as hellishly sweet in the taste as Coke and Pepsi, which was my point. Not that it's low in sugar.
    Fair enough, sorry. I don't drink any fizzy drinks, never really liked them, especially Coke and Pepsi. Of all of them though, Orangina was the most palatable for me i think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well duuuh... That's why I obviously drink coke zero instead because of how much healthier it is!! /s

I started drinking diet coke because it was supposedly healthier and I continued drinking it because I genuinely preferred its taste over regular coke. I really dislike the sugary slime that gets stuck at the back of your throat and the nasty sugary plaque that very quickly builds up on your teeth when drinking standard sugary drinks.

Seriously though, zero > diet > regular in terms of taste for me.
    Last edited by Terahertz; 2017-08-03 at 07:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    DElicious? Diet sodas are disgusting. They're rancid.
    Coke Zero is by far the best tasting mainstream cola available. Everything else is far too sweet and nasty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scoli View Post
    Well duuuh... That's why I obviously drink coke zero instead because of how much healthier it is!! /s

I started drinking diet coke because it was supposedly healthier and I continued drinking it because I genuinely preferred its taste over regular coke. I really dislike the sugary slime that gets stuck at the back of your throat and the nasty sugary plaque that very quickly builds up on your teeth when drinking standard sugary drinks.

Seriously though, zero > diet > regular in terms of taste for me.
    ^ Coke Zero is the only pop I can stomach now.

Here's the thing: people with bad diets drink diet sodas to help reduce their calorie intake. They're still eating over their caloric limit, which means they still get fat. Plenty of bodybuilders and athletes also choose to drink diet soda when they're not drinking water, but since they're burning their calories off anyways they stay fit.

It's not rocket appliances.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2017-08-03 at 07:13 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherling View Post
    Fair enough, sorry. I don't drink any fizzy drinks, never really liked them, especially Coke and Pepsi. Of all of them though, Orangina was the most palatable for me i think.
    Yeah I don't like them anymore at all. Waaaaay too sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    Well, there is Coca Cola zero and light, there is Coca Cola cherry with Sugar, Coca Cola vanilla with sugar, Coca cola without caffeine with sugar, normal Coca Cola with sugar..

Did i forget something or are there still more sugar-versions?
    Quit a few actually.

Everything you just mentioned has the non sugar version....while not mentioning sprite and fanta

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post

^ Coke Zero is the only pop I can stomach now.

Here's the thing: people with bad diets drink diet sodas to help reduce their calorie intake. They're still eating over their caloric limit, which means they still get fat. Plenty of bodybuilders and athletes also choose to drink diet soda when they're not drinking water, but since they're burning their calories off anyways they stay fit.

It's not rocket appliances.
    The reason why athletes and bodybuilders drink non sugar drinks is because they count the stuff they eat, they don't cheat when just because

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Quit a few actually.

Everything you just mentioned has the non sugar version....while not mentioning sprite and fanta

- - - Updated - - -

The reason why athletes and bodybuilders drink non sugar drinks is because they count the stuff they eat, they don't cheat when just because
    Lots of people count calories and track macros, which was my exact point. If you eat healthy and drink diet pop nothing is different. People who drink diet pop as a way to last resort cut calories are already eating like shit and that's why they're not fit.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...They have known this for years.

My dad had diabetes and they told him to NEVER drink Diet Soda. The artificial sweeteners just makes your body crave actual sugar, it can also give you a messed up heart rhythm, cause sugar crashes even though they don't HAVE sugar, and they're a pain for your kidneys to digest.

My doctor told him if he had to choose between a diet soda and a regular one, go with regular soda, it'll do less damage to his system.

Most weight loss advice is terrible. The whole "eat less, move more" thing doesn't work. Calorie counting doesn't work. Working out to lose weight doesn't work. Most advice about what to eat is plain wrong (and yeah the AHA and the ADA are in lockstop with complete BS). Billions of dollars are at stake in a concerted effort to sell the public on bad dietary information. Your job is to consume what you are told to consume. The 1% profits from the misery of you and those around you, and most of them literally do not care even a little bit.

Below the age of 30 approx. your body is a lot more flexible in terms of what its doing. After the age of 30 approx. the body seems to enjoy homeostasis a lot more, it doesn't want to budge either up or down BUT it can be motivated up or down in weight because of lifestyle habits. The tendency will be for weight to rise because of dietary choices.

The Kellogg boys were quacks that wanted their chance at big money and controlling people's sex lives. Human beings are not really meant to eat grains. This is controversial because a lot of money is at stake concerning this simple truth. One's daily bread has always been what you ate if you had literally nothing else.

Despite this, the U.S. government subsidizes the overproduction of grains - mainly corn, wheat, rice, soy. Former defense manufacturers like Monsanto are all into this shit with their GMOs. Approx 90% of GMOs are modified expressly so they can be grown using Roundup herbicide. I like Neil Degrasse Tyson as a science presenter also, but he's dead fucking wrong on this GMO issue. But then I don't like to get my health/diet information from astrophysicists nor from mechanical engineers like Bill Nye.

So how to lose weight? Well, our knowledge about this is limited but manipulating your insulin levels seems to be a key factor. When your insulin is high you will tend to pack on weight. If you can manipulate it lower, you will tend to lose weight over time.

Why do artificial sweeteners make people gain weight? Again, certainties are scarce but they seem to spike insulin because of what the body expects having tasted something sweet. So you chew gum, brush your teeth, use a mouthwash - all with artificial sweeteners and they will all spike your insulin because the body expects sweet things to require insulin to handle the sugars. And while insulin does more than one thing, one of its primary functions is to convert serum glucose into stored body fat.

Spike insulin = stored fat is the simplest way to think of this.

P.S. Typhoria is correct in my opinion: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post46758367
    Last edited by Louisa Bannon; 2017-08-04 at 03:06 PM.