Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by koontakent View Post
    I think people get it, its just a pretty scary point when people cant afford to live so they try to raise what you get paid, in response billion dollar companies reduce hours, make everyone else work harder then complain about this shit because they have to maintain their profit.

pretty fucked up
    they could live. they choose not to. they could get better jobs, but they are too lazy or dont want to try. or they are just fuck ups and are getting what they are worth. get roommates and buy less shit. eat rice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alteiry View Post
    If a company cannot survive paying its employees 15 dollars an hour, it's a shitty, inefficient company that doesn't deserve to exist.
    whatever wage someone is willing to take, is what they are worth. no and ifs or buts. you get what you deserve. stuck at min wage? look in the fuckin mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    they could live. they choose not to. they could get better jobs, but they are too lazy or dont want to try. or they are just fuck ups and are getting what they are worth. get roommates and buy less shit. eat rice.

- - - Updated - - -

whatever wage someone is willing to take, is what they are worth. no and ifs or buts. you get what you deserve. stuck at min wage? look in the fuckin mirror.
    that's the attitude that's going to turn your country to shit. Like every empire the USA is going to collapse to its own people and you'll be one of the people that get fucked over because you didnt give a fuck about anyone else or didnt even bother to understand where they come from.

I've read stories about people having to work 72 hour long weeks in the USA to cover rent. If you think thats acceptable you're stupid all that does is create a loop you cant escape

that's the attitude that's going to turn your country to shit. Like every empire the USA is going to collapse to its own people and you'll be one of the people that get fucked over because you didnt give a fuck about anyone else or didnt even bother to understand where they come from.

I've read stories about people having to work 72 hour long weeks in the USA to cover rent. If you think thats acceptable you're stupid all that does is create a loop you cant escape
    i truely, truely doubt it. we have a better chance of n.korea taking over the world.

you have read sensationalized bullshit. get educated.

i truely, truely doubt it. we have a better chance of n.korea taking over the world.

you have read sensationalized bullshit. get educated.
    I'm educated hence why I know what is happening is totally a recipe for disaster and if you can't see that you're blind. You seem to think that people are just lazy. A huge amount of people struggling are victims of circumstance. If your job got taken by a robot in a factory and you had kids to feed and no other jobs you'd more than likely end up doing min wage work for just something. Perhaps taking a look at the whole city of Detroit might be eye opening to see what happens when jobs vanish

Nearly 1/3 of the workforce receives public assistance. Nearly half of those are full-time. Over half of public assistance goes to working families. There aren't "better jobs" available for 30% of the workforce if they....just...work....harder. Sure there are some jobs out there, but unemployment is low right now. Wages haven't kept up with inflation. Cost of living, healthcare, college tuition, etc. have all grown significantly more than employee compensation. We have a wage crisis, not a laziness epidemic.

Only if you completely ignore the concept of bargaining power.

Also, somebody has to work those jobs. The "get a better job" approach is fine for an individual, but isn't actually a solution that can be applied to a society as a whole.
    Last edited by Gestopft; 2017-08-04 at 04:20 AM.

I'm educated hence why I know what is happening is totally a recipe for disaster and if you can't see that you're blind. You seem to think that people are just lazy. A huge amount of people struggling are victims of circumstance. If your job got taken by a robot in a factory and you had kids to feed and no other jobs you'd more than likely end up doing min wage work for just something. Perhaps taking a look at the whole city of Detroit might be eye opening to see what happens when jobs vanish
    you take a job while finding another. its not hard, you lower your expenses. people just want fucking handouts. there will be no disaster. it wont happen. everyone in the use has access to a prosperous life, some take advantage, others are lazy whiners begging for free shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Nearly 1/3 of the workforce receives public assistance. Nearly half of those are full-time. Over half of public assistance goes to working families. There aren't "better jobs" available for 30% of the workforce if they....just...work....harder. Sure there are some jobs out there, but unemployment is low right now. Wages haven't kept up with inflation. Cost of living, healthcare, college tuition, etc. have all grown significantly more than employee compensation. We have a wage crisis, not a laziness epidemic.

Only if you completely ignore the concept of bargaining power.

Also, somebody has to work those jobs. The "get a better job" approach is fine for an individual, but isn't actually a solution that can be applied to a society as a whole.
    lower your cost to live, no one needs college or healthcare, nor do they deserve it. you get what you are worth. you stay at the bottom if thats what you are, a bottom feeding leech.

10+ Year Old Account
    People will never be paid what the job is actually worth while participation in the labour market is mandatory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I don't think you get it man, everyone is trying to get better jobs but they're not there because everyone already wanted them.

In Australia we put out an add for an admin person and we got 600 replies in a day

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    People will never be paid what the job is actually worth while participation in the labour market is mandatory.
    they will and are. if you force them to be overpayed, they will just get hours cut or let go, as it should be.

Labor market participation is mandatory because making it voluntary costs too much for the government to provide. You could make the pitch that the evil corporations, inc have managed to hoodwink the population, but the math just doesn't work either.

I don't think you get it man, everyone is trying to get better jobs but they're not there because everyone already wanted them.

In Australia we put out an add for an admin person and we got 600 replies in a day
    its foolish to say everyone is trying. id venture to say, at the bottom, most arent. most just live their day to day life leeching off the govt and others. they self perpetuate their own circumstance. is that 100% no? but 100% dont stay at the bottom. most leave it behind. the remaining deserve to be there.

they will and are. if you force them to be overpayed, they will just get hours cut or let go, as it should be.
    There you are ignoring the concept of bargaining power again. Also, if they have that many hours to cut, then they are overstaffed to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    More specifically the wage an individual will receive is almost never up to then. Its quite a strange notion that it is. Even if your in a position where your skill set is in demand it doesnt necesarilly mean you will be able to negotiate a wage you want. Labor simple doesnt have that power anymore. Quite simple labors wages are paid by employers. Labor does not set its price or the price for the goods and services it buys. Its a really bizarre idea that it does.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2017-08-04 at 04:32 AM.

Dude, we have people ON THIS THREAD who clearly stated that they would rather work less hours even if means making slightly less money. That's proof enough that laziness is a thing.

its foolish to say everyone is trying. id venture to say, at the bottom, most arent. most just live their day to day life leeching off the govt and others. they self perpetuate their own circumstance. is that 100% no? but 100% dont stay at the bottom. most leave it behind. the remaining deserve to be there.
    Most recipients of aid are working families. Again, 30% of the workforce gets assistance: it's a wage crisis, not a laziness epidemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Most recipients of aid are working families. Again, 30% of the workforce gets assistance: it's a wage crisis, not a laziness epidemic.
    it is a laziness epidemic. the lazy stay there, the rest move on. most families getting aid shouldn't be, but that is another argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    Labor market participation is mandatory because making it voluntary costs too much for the government to provide. You could make the pitch that the evil corporations, inc have managed to hoodwink the population, but the math just doesn't work either.
    I was not making a comment as to why it is mandatory, just that it being mandatory massively skews bargaining power in favor of employers and distorts the actual value of pretty much every job.

- - - Updated - - -

Which proves my point. People only accept those wages and conditions because the choice is between working and poverty, which means employers have a vastly superior bargaining position. Thus, they are never paid what the position is actually worth.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

hahaha if you don't know how many people that do work hard get stuck you need to recheck your shit. You're always going to get lazy fucks but you can't be helped. You sir are a bigger part of the problem than you know

It's a clear lack of understanding and the lack to throw out a hand that's going to fuck your country up even more than it already is.

10+ Year Old Account
    it is a laziness epidemic. the lazy stay there, the rest move on. most families getting aid shouldn't be, but that is another argument.
    So what's your solution? Letting them die in the streets?

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    This surprised literally nobody who bothered to do any actual research, or who paid attention in an economics class.
    I mean you say this, yeah but let's look at some stuff here.

Say you work 40 hours working for 7.25. The min wage was increased to 15 and now you're suddenly making 125 less dollars on average than before. You do realize that means they cut your hours? I don't know about you, but I'd rather make nearly the same amount of money in slightly less than half of the time.

And if you want more money then you just try to find a second job. Those people who work 60 hours a week at min wage jobs right now can make more money in only 30 hours of work. I think a lot of people would greatly appreciate the quality of life improvement that would bring to them.

Like I'd much rather work 20 hours a week for the same pay as 40 and then be an Uber driver on the side with all my extra free time.