Page 1 of 2
LastLast

War for the Planet of the Apes

I have not seen the other movies. Has anyone seen this and can tell me if I need to see the others before seeing this new one? No spoilers please.

I would recommend seeing the other movies to gain a full understanding. Although you will still enjoy this movie, you'll enjoy it more seeing the other 2 (they are both amazing btw).
    Pally Collector, 785+ Mounts, 1740+ Pets, 715+ Toys, 34000+ achieves.

Definitely recommend watching the prior two movies. Not only are you in for a treat, but when taken with the current movie, the series has to be one of the best written trilogies.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Definitely recommend watching the prior two movies. Not only are you in for a treat, but when taken with the current movie, the series has to be one of the best written trilogies.
    This was my thought without having seen part 3 yet. Just based on the first two, easily my favorite movie series since Lord of the Rings, and even then... I'd need to see part 3 to rank. #TeamKoba #HumanWork
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely watch the first two, then go see the finale. Amazing films.

Deleted
    Woody Harrelson is awesome in this movie.

Deleted
    Thought part 3 was a huge let down, really hope they don't make anymore after this.

7+ Year Old Account
    Very good film.
    The first movie(Rise) is very good, really sets the stage for whats coming
    The second(Dawn) suffers from being "middle", it does have okay action scenes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wife and I walked out of it this weekend.
    Easily the most boring hour of my life in recent memory.

Forbes critic seems to think it will be the best film of the year.

This is the first major 2017 contender for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actor at the next Academy Awards -- not a dark horse candidate, but a straight-up significant contender. It is a testament to how powerful, visionary, and brilliantly realized genre filmmaking can be. With War, the Planet of the Apes series becomes one of the greatest science fiction series in cinema history, and among the finest trilogies of any genre ever put to film.
    War for the Planet of the Apes is a brilliant, beautiful, breathtaking blockbuster filled with grand performances and gripping emotional storytelling. This is why we go to the movies, and this is everything franchise cinema should aspire to be. The best film I've seen all year, War is the must-see movie of the Summer and one I'll return to see again and again.

----------------------

On a more curious note, Matt Reeves will be directing the latest Batman movie.

Soo does it set up for the next movie where apes revolt and that like the originals?
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor With a Saber View Post
    Soo does it set up for the next movie where apes revolt and that like the originals?
    You're a bit out of touch...I recommend seeing the prior two movies to catch up

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
    Saw atleast 10 people walk out of the showing I went to, I considered it but stuck through till the end, wish i'd walked out tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Saw atleast 10 people walk out of the showing I went to, I considered it but stuck through till the end, wish i'd walked out tbh.
    Had either of you seen the first two? I'm just asking because this seems like a very strange response given the quality of the first two and the general consensus that this one is also very good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    Had either of you seen the first two? I'm just asking because this seems like a very strange response given the quality of the first two and the general consensus that this one is also very good.
    Pretty sure I'd seen the original with Franco.
    We visited the theater because we'd heard it was really good also.

I recommend seeing the two first movies of this reboot/prequel serie.

Those are two movies made in 2000s that genuinely get into my top 10 list and that's a tough list to find a spot on.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    I've seen them both, multiple times.

Really enjoyed the first one and thought the second one was really good, bordering on great, this was just flat out boring.

The first one built to a great climax, and the second one had this great tension building all throughout the film where you knew how it was going to end, but you really didn't want it to end that way. War builds incredibly slowly, then fizzles out like a damp squib.

I'll go into some spoilers,

Ok first off, there's barely any conflict in the film, for a film thats titled WAR of the Planet of the Apes, there is no war, there's just the fight scene at the beginning thats been in every trailer, thats it. It feels like they had no idea how to show Apes fighting Humans, so they just decided to go back to the first film and have the Apes be imprisoned again and have to do a breakout.

Woody Harrelsons character felt very flat to me, I didn't care what he was talking about having to kill his son, he didn't seem particularly crazy to me, despite everyone else in the film attempting to tell me so, and the way he was eventually offed was just bland, he's in the film for at most 15 minutes.

The "mutated Simian" flu, isn't explained at all beyond making people not be able to speak, we don't see anyone whose contracted it "lose there humanity" as Harrelsons character states, they just lose the ability to speak. The way they react to it you'd think that people with it would be going full Rage Virus from 28 Days Later, it's obvious where they are going with it (to have the Humans become the new Apes for a future film where the Apes rule the world with the Humans living in the jungles etc) but it felt incredibly forced, or atleast the reaction to the antagonist humans felt forced.

The final set peice/big action battle, what the hell even was this? Humans that we don't care about fighting CGI helicopters that we don't care about, while the Apes just get mown down left and right, until eventually the "Donkey" decides to intervene and save Caeser, leading to Caeser blowing up the entire base.

The human character who Caeser spared at the beginning, killing Caeser, I assume to push the "Humans are the real monsters" angle? I dunno, the other films had a lot more subtlety to them (well maybe not the first one, but the second one certainly did) whereas this film seemed to pretend that it had subtlety, when it had none, Caeser is treated as this religious messiah figure while the humans are in essence these interchangeable bad guys with no sympathetic qualities (despite attempting to force some onto the Colonel).

The girl character was just boring, her wandering onto the base un noticed, to what should be the highest profile prisoner on the base, and just being able to feed him was stupid, incredibly stupid, the fact there is no one watching the Apes so that they can just escape is stupid.

The only good thing about it is Andy Serkis as Caeser, and I hope if he does get nominated for Best Actor, he wins it, but not for this film, but for the other Ape movies and all the work he's done for MoCap over the last decade plus.
    Last edited by mmoc8116b97f51; 2017-07-18 at 02:19 PM.

I think the rule of this board is to crap on every movie that isn't a star wars or marvel movie it seems.

That was my thought initially, until seeing Helden's reply. The girl I was going to see this with hadn't seen either of the others, she ended up seeing it at home with her brother and said she didn't like it "I popped my apes cherry", so I was like... yeah, your dumb blonde ass probably just... it just went over your head. Which is no real shame if you don't "get it" being the third in the series. She was going to see it with me cuz she wanted to do something with me, so I appreciated that, but I'd thought she had already seen the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by V1ndictive View Post
    What also felt forced is the ending, which is my second gripe. The death of Caesar felt utterly and completely forced. They go walking for miles and miles to get to their destination, then "oh btw i'm dying bye". To be honest it's a super annoying trend of films/tv shows lately. I just wanna grab every director and writer in the world and give them a shake and yell "IT'S OKAY TO ACTUALLY HAVE A HAPPY ENDING. NOT EVERYTHING HAS TO END SAD OR BITTERSWEET."
    I can agree to that, if it happened immediately after the avalanche, i think it would've felt better.