Current WoW development team.

Hi all,

since cataclysm, i have been really discontent with the direction the game was going in all aspects except the raids. class design was tale and boring, world content was stale and boring, etc. since then we've had changes to the development team, the most notable ones probably being ghostcrawler gone and Ion replacing Tom Chilton. There are a few things i still think could be improved, but legion has general turned the game around, it almost feels like everything in between Wrath and Legion was a filler, the story included. I never understood why a lot of people here on MMO-champion praised ghostcrawler, i always personally thought hes design ideas were disconnected from the community needs and subpar at best, i guess blizzard agreed and sent him off, you can just take a look at the state LoL is in now, correlation doesn't mean causation but food for thought nonetheless. Enter Ion as game director, highly involved with the community. So many things changed in legion it shows they are listening, gone is the old teams "you think you wanted but you dont" attitude, which is most welcomed.

Im sure there are a lot of people that may be unhappy with the game today but theres no denying this expansion made the past three look like a patch.

TL;DR: Im glad changes were made to the design team, and really enjoy the work the current team is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by berdrek View Post
    Hi all,
    Hi Ion's mom!

Quote Originally Posted by mingarrubia View Post
    Hi Ion's mom!

Either that or he paid someone to post in his defense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by berdrek View Post

class design was tale and boring

but legion has general turned the game around
    Legion has the worst fucking class design since Vanilla... Everything got pruned to hell, classes got iconic abilities like Hammer of Wrath stripped away for no fucking reason at all.

This is the second worst expansion, just barely ahead of WoD as far as I'm concerned (Except PvP, PvP is worse than WoD).
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Legion has the worst fucking class design since Vanilla... Everything got pruned to hell, classes got iconic abilities like Hammer of Wrath stripped away for no fucking reason at all.

This is the second worst expansion, just barely ahead of WoD as far as I'm concerned (Except PvP, PvP is worse than WoD).
    Fully agree with second worst expansion. I don't understand how people can say that Legion class design is good in any way.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    These threads (no matter if OP is positive or negative) are always funny. If you look at posts, everyone seems to shit on Legion (99% are one liners "worst shit expac rng duablo 3 lol"). If you look at poll (if there is any), result shows something complete opposite.

And of course class design is always black and white, it's not like some specs are fun to play, some are mediocre and some shit. No no, it doesn't work that way. It's always black & white, "current class design is worst shit ever, bring back old specs".

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Everything got pruned to hell, classes got iconic abilities like Hammer of Wrath stripped away for no fucking reason at all.
    This. So many classes feel so weird and wonky to play now

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not really fond of current class design which seems to be interested in making specs more complicated than they need to be by relying on procs and IF A = B then C has a 17.14578% chance of happening. It just seems pointlessly arcane and a result of theory-crafting first. Mostly it just seems soulless.

I don't have any issues with cutting back on marginal skills and talents per se but what they're doing is what happens when engineering takes over from creativity. Celestalon is in love with mathematical solutions and that changes outcomes a lot.

As for the expansion itself it's encouraging that they thought a great deal about the majority of players who don't spend a lot or any time raiding and worked to provide them with something to do. Some of it has worked, some of it hasn't. More hits this expansion than misses though. I hope that trend continues.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

still waiting for some purges in the class design team. i am happy that chilton was gone as he was one of the pioneers of pruning but there must be 1 or 2 cancer cells in "senior" development positions that keep pushing for this god awful class design we have today. i don't believe that Celestalon is one of these cancer cells as much as he loves his numbers, he should have a superior that is pushing him in the direction we see in game.

it is too early to say if Sephuz is a positive influence in the class design team, since he was a big part of the terrible legendary system and really all he is doing is looking at beta feedback and making changes a year later. he has a lot to prove going into the 8.0 alpha but he has a good attitude so far.

what i want to see a community manager that is solely in charge of communicating about classes. i want someone who can immerse themself in every spec community/discord and find out what players love about their specs and what they hate, and bring that information to the class design team. it's time that the class design team swallows their pride and listens to the players, because they clearly do not have the talent they used to. they don't deserve to be making creative decisions in this game.