Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Uh, WoW is #1 on the page you just linked.

Top Grossing Pay-to-play MMO Games by Revenue, April 2016

#1 World of Warcraft Activision Blizzard
    #2 Lineage I NCSoft
    #3 Star Wars: The Old Republic Electronic Arts
    #4 TERA En Masse Entertainment
    #5 Blade and Soul NCSoft

The other ones are free to play, and not mmorpg's lol

Quote Originally Posted by Killigrew View Post

#2 Lineage I NCSoft
    #5 Blade and Soul NCSoft

How the hell is Lineage that high up? :O

I'm glad one of my favorite games that I used to be crazy about is still doing well. I hope someday they do something that will make me interested in it again. /shrug

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Legion released in the 3rd Quarter which consists of July, August and September.
    Legion was released on the 30th of august.

People played more than one month of it, what a shocker.

A bunch of pussies will feel very hurt and triggered by you pointing that out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killigrew View Post

#2 Lineage I NCSoft
    #5 Blade and Soul NCSoft

Cas that poster linked list of MMOS and not just mmorpgs. Free 2 play MMOs matter too in terms of bringing money.

Anyway best selling and top grossing video games are not MMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ame_franchises

Quote Originally Posted by klanker5 View Post
    Legion was released on the 30th of august.

People played more than one month of it, what a shocker.
    August 30th is still the 3rd quarter.

But sure ignore the later two 2017 reports I linked.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strifeload View Post
    http://massivelyop.com/2017/02/09/bl...and-overwatch/

Im sorry, but I had to do this.

I wonder what the so called "experts" are thinking of this, as it seems like WoW won't go away, just because they leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    "Has been for a while"

Which MMO's have surpassed it on the throne? Genuine question.
    None, and we won't know which will unless MMOs start giving out sub numbers and you know they won't.

We do know that Final Fantasy 14's latest expansion brought up to 2 mil players together, while WoW has a realistic number of 2-4 mil at BEST. Legion surely Isnt holding many peoples attention for so long, all the grinding, average at best story and the overuseage of Warhammer/Starcraft like things... especially coming In Argus.

WoW isn't the king among MMOs anymore, but It will survive I never doubted that, It just won't be the king and nobody will know who Is the king either unless some brave soul start to give us their sub numbers alongside WoW subs.

And even then, subs are half of WoWs Income right now, all of their bullship Ingame story, mounts, battle pets, boosts and stuff and most of all.. wow token pays for the other half of WoW now.

WoW are basically transitioning Into getting more money out of each player as the populace gets smaller, It's business that's how they work and think.

Overwatch Is obvious, the loot crates are so good as a business model they make a ton of money, ontop of buying the actual game ofcourse. Loot crates aren't consumer friendly but hey, who cares It's "Getting more money" friendly to them. Despite that, they do bring out content quite regularly, make good balance changes, show Interesting stories and everything.

But WoW... Legion Is average at best, somewhere I read from Blizzard themselves perhaps that they were doing only "Slightly" better than WoD Is. Which doesn't say much for It's success, or future success since around this time WoD's content draught began and I already feel months of content draught, and no I don't consider a snowy version of a bettleground, pet battle "dungeons" or running around doing silly world quests as good and meaningful content.

Yes there's "Content" but not the content I want or like. There's a difference. I'd like more PvP content for example (Hell I'd want the entire pvp system to revert to 2.0 cause this new one Is bad, but they won't do that just yet Im sure), and I sure don't count the brawls as content, not really.
    Permabanned on WoW since April 14th 2015, main acc I had since vanilla gone and trashed for no good reason, 6+ years later still banned with more appeals resulting in my BATTLENET games being suspended for a month eachtime I try making TICKETS because I'm asking for help with the perma ban. Blizzard has stopped caring for their first veteran players and would rather we leave, considering the Lawsuit, can you afford to keep peps banned even for so long under questionable circumstances?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckx View Post
    Cas that poster linked list of MMOS and not just mmorpgs. Free 2 play MMOs matter too in terms of bringing money.

Anyway best selling and top grossing video games are not MMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ame_franchises
    If it's not an MMORPG it doesn't compete with WoW. You think FPS and MOBA's compete with an online rpg? :O

Quote Originally Posted by TheVaryag View Post
    None, and we won't know which will unless MMOs start giving out sub numbers and you know they won't.

We do know that Final Fantasy 14's latest expansion brought up to 2 mil players together, while WoW has a realistic number of 2-4 mil at BEST. Legion surely Isnt holding many peoples attention for so long, all the grinding, average at best story and the overuseage of Warhammer/Starcraft like things... especially coming In Argus.
    No it didn't. You don't have a source that it did. Stop spreading misinformation.

You have no source about WoWs realistic numbers either.

You mean WoW takes elements from Warhammer?

http://kotaku.com/5929161/how-warcra...that-saved-wow

What a shocker.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-08-05 at 11:17 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    August 30th is still the 3rd quarter.

But sure ignore the later two 2017 reports I linked.
    None of these say anything about the playerbase or the subcount.
    Them making money doesnt mean the game is popular.
    A quote from may of this year : "Legion's overall performance is slightly ahead of the prior expansion."
    I would be pretty upset if the supposed final expansion for a lot of blizzard dev&members was only slighly ahead of Warlords of Draenor.

Deleted
    WoW is old, very old... but will probably keep going for another 10 years if possible. WHO cares if it's less people as long as you personally find some enjoyment in it?

Quote Originally Posted by klanker5 View Post
    None of these say anything about the playerbase or the subcount.
    Them making money doesnt mean the game is popular.
    A quote from may of this year : "Legion's overall performance is slightly ahead of the prior expansion."
    I would be pretty upset if the supposed final expansion for a lot of blizzard dev&members was only slighly ahead of Warlords of Draenor.
    Uhm them making money means more people are spending. Read the reports. Player activity is up each quarter.

I'd be pretty happy after 13 years if my game was still making millions per year.

And again playerbase could easily survive on 500k. There are MMOs doing fine with less.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-08-05 at 10:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    No matter where WoW is on some list, Blizzard has a couple of glaring issues they should focus on regardless of how bandwagons on the forums would treat it:

The speed and difficulty level of leveling has hit a point where it is completely unsatisfying to play. Community response is always "make it faster then" because they want it over with, not understanding why they hate it so much. It's not fun to two-shot mobs for 72 hours. The fix is to make mobs more threatening to the player. Threatening mobs means players have to use more than a fifth of their spellbook to succeed. That makes it engaging.

The complete lack of challenging content for lone wolf players. If you could queue for Mythic+ I guess it'd be somewhat alleviated, but overall M+ should probably remain premade only. Why does nearly the entire game have to be guaranteed success until you hit organized raiding?

WoW might be going strong but I wonder how many have been lost because Blizzard sort of forgot for a long period what it is that keeps players playing. Showering them in gold stars for logging in and making content that is balanced around a non-communicating moutbreather doesn't make a longlasting experience.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckx View Post
    And Warcraft universe probably not have existed if there was no J.R.R. Tolkien.
    & Warhammer (also based off tolkien obviously)

Remember all the threads and "experts" on MMOC in the past decade claiming the following?:

During the release of Wildstar: "Wildstar is the new WoW; WoW is going to die now because everyone is moving over to Wildstar."
    During the release of Rift: "Rift beats WoW on every aspect; most of the WoW players are switching over to Rift. WoW will be dead from this point."
    During the release of Guildwars 2: "Guildwars beats WoW on every aspect; I can guarantee you that WoW will be kicked off the throne by Guildwars 2."

Reality: None of them came even close to being true, just to say it nicely.

And the list continues with every other past new MMO release.

Quote Originally Posted by Tisane View Post
    Remember all the threads and "experts" on MMOC in the past decade claiming the following?:

During the release of Wildstar: "Wildstar is the new WoW; WoW is going to die now because everyone is moving over to Wildstar."
    During the release of Rift: "Rift beats WoW on every aspect; most of the WoW players are switching over to Rift. WoW will be dead from this point."
    During the release of Guildwars 2: "Guildwars beats WoW on every aspect; I can guarantee you that WoW will be kicked off the throne by Guildwars 2."

Reality: None of them came even close to being true, just to say it nicely.

And the list continues with every other past new MMO release.
    Yeah, its hilarious.

Only one who can top WoW is blizzard themself.
    Wich they don't need to because World of Warcraft is solid and will be for years. People think its dying because they are not liking it anymore. Can see it in this thread too. Newflash: Your personal opinion means so little as long there are millions who thinks otherwise.

And they earn more and more money. How can that be bad in any way?

If people think Legion sucks, sure, that is a legit opinion. But don't use that as a reason that WoW is declining. Its only your personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVaryag View Post

We do know that Final Fantasy 14's latest expansion brought up to 2 mil players together, while WoW has a realistic number of 2-4 mil at BEST.
    No, the realistic number is 6-7 million. Wishful thinking doesn't speak louder than revenue and there's literally no reason to believe that Legion currently has the game at a worse sub count than the final months of WOD, or 14 months of no new content in MoP.

FFXIV is more realistically around 500-600k active subs, not 2 million. That's like using WoW's 100 million accounts created as some sort of metric for how many active subs it has.

Deleted
    You know what sub numbers are for?

So you whiners can say, "OH LOOK"... "They lost 500K out of 5M players: WoW is dead"and all the BS threads in the community, where everybody is a buisness expert.

They made this, so whiners can shut it or they could assume that WoW is played by 0 people(and Blizz is like /shrug which is a perfect move).
    Last edited by mmocd6fe3ee806; 2017-08-05 at 01:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Q4 2016

The financial reports will have gone up from all the folk purchasing Legion.

Subscriptions will have plummeted since then, even if the game is still making bank thanks to all the micro transactions.