Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    https://mmos.com/news/superdatas-lat...e-free-to-play

This info is a year out of date but I doubt WoW has gained too many subscribers in that time, WoW is still very popular but as I said it is no longer top dog and it is mad to think it would have been on top forever.
    league of legends, crossfire, and dungeon fighter online are not MMO's
    league of legends you play 5v5 max
    crossfire is literally counter strike, it is two small teams against eachother in a FPS
    dungeon fgihter online is NO WHERE NEAR AN MMO
    world of tanks, yes bigger, is still not an MMO

the only MMO's on that list are
    Fantasy westward journey online 2
    and maplestory. (Ive played it, it is "ok")

also the article you link shows it is still by far in the lead of paid mmo's more the double the income of the other mmo's that are pay to play
    free to play games have allways been higher
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2017-08-05 at 02:54 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cface View Post
    Been a long while since Blizzard made anything of quality. Overwatch is shit, it even looks shit. It tries to be esport, but it's not even close. HotS is godawful to play, it just feels wrong and leagues away from its competitors. Heartstone is probably good, but I honestly don't know.

So they have wow and starcraft:RM that seems to have their quality on them. As a business, and how a lot of the new generation loves to watch youtube gamers play games, I can't blame them from trying to earn a few bucks here and there. But the era of Blizzard = quality is over for sure. Glad they keep pumping life into wow though.
    You forgot Diablo 3! :P

And I think you haven't touched WoW recently.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Luckx View Post
    And Warcraft universe probably not have existed if there was no J.R.R. Tolkien.

Anyway best selling and top grossing video games are nor MOBAs nor MMOS but video game franchises.

List of best-selling video game franchises:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ame_franchises
    I'm REALLY surprised how low Star Wars and Warcraft are on that list..... maybe it's ONLY taking into account US sales?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    Thing is .. this is not something to be happy about.

Wow is indeed old and it still runs of the same formula.

Find 10 bear butts
    Deliver a letter
    Kill a boss that respawn in 1 week latests and do it again .. the same way, same pattern, same loot pool.
    PvP in small instances ... where everything resets over and over.

The player changes nothing in the world, biggest difference a player can ever do in WoW is to alter the going price of a item in the AH there is NOTHING else to chance.

And the core problem .... everyone else is doing the same .. so why not play the game you did the last 10 years .... when the others just offers a slight variation of this ?

It is very sad when the only MMO that really did something about this, sis it 10 years ago ( Dark age of camelot ) that game was far from perfect. But it did one thing right, the PvP .... 4 massive PvP area not instanced with 3 factions fighting over the the lands and the relics that actually changed things in PvE ... control strength relic and your realm gained power while you had it but the 2 other factions could steal it back at any point if they had the manpower, you see the relics was kept in the PvP zones in a keep that others could attack.

Imagine pvp over a castle involving 200+ players over a thing that actually made a difference with 3 unique factions. sure it could be laggy .. but that game came out like 15 years ago .... why the hell do we not have better MMO's now ?

Today's MMO's is 1 thing only ... find loot with better numbers nothing more this include WoW ... make the world fun make it about something else then numbers.
    And yet....millions of people still play.

15+ Year Old Account
    WoW will be still here in 10 years time unless Blizzard kill it but its time as king of the MMO's is over and has been for a while.
    While I dont play wow anymore, I hardly think any "MMO" has surpassed it.

From your article you quoted:
    World of Warcraft, on the other hand, continues to dominate the pay-to-play MMO scene, "earning more than double its closest paid competitor."

This info is a year out of date but I doubt WoW has gained too many subscribers in that time, WoW is still very popular but as I said it is no longer top dog and it is mad to think it would have been on top forever.
    I guess we just call anything that is a multiplayer online game an MMO now? In what way is League an MMO? 5v5 counts as "massive"?
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by TheVaryag View Post
    None, and we won't know which will unless MMOs start giving out sub numbers and you know they won't.

We do know that Final Fantasy 14's latest expansion brought up to 2 mil players together, while WoW has a realistic number of 2-4 mil at BEST. Legion surely Isnt holding many peoples attention for so long, all the grinding, average at best story and the overuseage of Warhammer/Starcraft like things... especially coming In Argus.

WoW isn't the king among MMOs anymore, but It will survive I never doubted that, It just won't be the king and nobody will know who Is the king either unless some brave soul start to give us their sub numbers alongside WoW subs.

And even then, subs are half of WoWs Income right now, all of their bullship Ingame story, mounts, battle pets, boosts and stuff and most of all.. wow token pays for the other half of WoW now.

WoW are basically transitioning Into getting more money out of each player as the populace gets smaller, It's business that's how they work and think.

Overwatch Is obvious, the loot crates are so good as a business model they make a ton of money, ontop of buying the actual game ofcourse. Loot crates aren't consumer friendly but hey, who cares It's "Getting more money" friendly to them. Despite that, they do bring out content quite regularly, make good balance changes, show Interesting stories and everything.

But WoW... Legion Is average at best, somewhere I read from Blizzard themselves perhaps that they were doing only "Slightly" better than WoD Is. Which doesn't say much for It's success, or future success since around this time WoD's content draught began and I already feel months of content draught, and no I don't consider a snowy version of a bettleground, pet battle "dungeons" or running around doing silly world quests as good and meaningful content.

Yes there's "Content" but not the content I want or like. There's a difference. I'd like more PvP content for example (Hell I'd want the entire pvp system to revert to 2.0 cause this new one Is bad, but they won't do that just yet Im sure), and I sure don't count the brawls as content, not really.
    They were comparing Legion in it's current patch to WoD in it's current patch, when WoD had 7.7 million subs, Legion was doing better than that.

And according to the most recent quarterly report, it is still doing better than WoD.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoW will be still here in 10 years time unless Blizzard kill it but its time as king of the MMO's is over and has been for a while.
    Lmao, considering it's still the "top" MMO and has been for 13 years, says a lot about people who try to say its dead or dying compared to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Haha, it's not though. Can't find a source on exact sub count seeing as how they don't release those anymore, but revenue, compared to previous quarters + a heap of logical reasoning taking into account content releases and the wow token supports my version far more than it supports yours. Revenue hasn't been exclusively from subs ever since WOTLK at the very least.

Legion isn't even over yet people want to believe that it's worse off than WoD after 6.1. HAH!
    Give up, people don't bother reading annual reports or they gloss over it and don't read in between the lines, anything to push the "WoW is dead narrative"

Legion is tracking ahead of where Warlords was at the same time, which was around 5-6.5 million subs, so logically, Legion would have 6-7 million subs.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

I have, and I am.

And I'm not surprised either, this is a very distinguished pattern among people. ^^

- - - Updated - - -

You were debunked in a different thread. Guess you needed to start over fresh in a new one.
    I was what?
    No, I got tiered of your obsessive need to makes stuff up just to fit your agenda and just stopped replying.

Deleted
    And that data is from LAST YEAR, befoe legion

Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    And yet....millions of people still play.
    Yes and that is the sad part ... we got no alternative, there just is nothing better to play and it is the same damn thing as 10 years ago. game companies needs to up there game ... blizzard and others should make better mmo's by now .... the players are there if they make it right.

10+ Year Old Account

Except all of the ones above WoW aren't MMORPGS? One is a Dota, one is a FPS, and the other is a fighter....So WoW is still top of the MMORPG and Subscribers ranks...so I'd still say it is king in its field...just because a few games in completely different fields of gameplay surpass it...I'd say it still has its own thrown to sit upon.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    Give up, people don't bother reading annual reports or they gloss over it and don't read in between the lines, anything to push the "WoW is dead narrative"

Legion is tracking ahead of where Warlords was at the same time, which was around 5-6.5 million subs, so logically, Legion would have 6-7 million subs.
    Exactly. I'mma just do what my sig says I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post

I'm sure Blizzard is happy if they copuld get more than 2 million subs about now.
    Haha, the irony and also case-in-point for the ryanmahaffe's post.

Exactly. I'mma just do what my sig says I suppose.

Haha, the irony and also case-in-point for the ryanmahaffe's post.
    Not sure what you mean here but untill you have actual sub numbers all you're doing is making stuff up.
    No way around that.

I don't really see the point though.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    How the hell is Lineage that high up? :O
    0:12

Btw, I noticed that easiest way to trigger whiners here is just to say ANYTHING positive. Jaylock very often use that to troll them. Seriously it is ridiculous that some people here can't stand than someone could just play game, have fun and be share their positive experience about it. No, they must bring that person to their shitty level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    https://ffxivcensus.com/ claims ff14, which i guess is wows most direct competition in US/EU, has about 460k active players, so probably 575k subs orso. I dare say wow is still in the millions at least. polls on mmo champ are around 2m sample size these days.
    If you think wow has anything less than 7-10 million subs, I have some beach front property in Colorado to sell ya.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    Yes and that is the sad part ... we got no alternative, there just is nothing better to play and it is the same damn thing as 10 years ago. game companies needs to up there game ... blizzard and others should make better mmo's by now .... the players are there if they make it right.
    I don't think you understand how businesses work....WoW still has MILLIONS of subs on a 10 year old game. They have no incentive to make a new MMO when WoW is still profitable beyond belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    If you think wow has anything less than 7-10 million subs, I have some beach front property in Colorado to sell ya.
    Actually, 6-7 million is the more reasonable number. Anyone believing its 2 million or less doesn't need property, they need to buy a clue!

Although I wouldn't put it past them to sit on 10 million without announcing it. The game sure as hell is active, and even with the increased server capacity I've had queues of 900 or more at times.

"Has been for a while"

Which MMO's have surpassed it on the throne? Genuine question.
    Gravity reported, back more than 10 years ago during Ragnarok Online's days, a 25m paid-subscribers count worldwide. WoW barely got through to 1/2 of it
    Edit: Another reminder, back in the day RO had more players on private servers than on official sub servers, so there is that too

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Actually, 6-7 million is the more reasonable number. Anyone believing its 2 million or less doesn't need property, they need to buy a clue!

Although I wouldn't put it past them to sit on 10 million without announcing it. The game sure as hell is active, and even with the increased server capacity I've had queues of 900 or more at times.
    6-7 millions is my feeling as well. Since January I see roughly same amount of people in the world when I do stuff (90% are from my server). It's very hard to compare it to Warlords, because we were stuck in Garrisons and now people are running around Broken Isles.