Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    This explains it well enough for me:
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Precisely because they are unsubstantiated bullshit that don't rely on a lick of observational evidence.
    Again, there's no way that statement can be honestly made given the stark lack of discussion.

That's the thing about asking what was "before" the Big Bang; time as we know it started with the Big Bang, so there was no before. But "before" itself is a concept that only works when there is time.

Doesn't mean the Big Bang hypothesis isn't possible, though. There are just different theories we don't know. A previous universe's death leading to ours being born, essentially resetting "time"; our universe being brought into being through the actions of matter in another universe; quantum shittery, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Again, there's no way that statement can be honestly made given the stark lack of discussion.
    You don't get it; it doesn't merit a seat at the same table precisely because it's not based on a posteriori conclusions drawn from observational evidence but a priori assumptions based on.....whatever the fuck people were smoking back in the day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    That's the thing about asking what was "before" the Big Bang; time as we know it started with the Big Bang, so there was no before. But "before" itself is a concept that only works when there is time.

Doesn't mean the Big Bang hypothesis isn't possible, though. There are just different theories we don't know. A previous universe's death leading to ours being born, essentially resetting "time"; our universe being brought into being through the actions of matter in another universe; quantum shittery, etc.
    Petition to rename quantum physics to quantum fuckery since it borders on magic at times.

Why do electrons cease to exist between energy levels? Quantum fuckery. Why is there baryon asymmetry? Quantum fuckery. How does gravity work across nearly infinite distances? Quantum fuckery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

You don't get it; it doesn't merit a seat at the same table precisely because it's not based on a posteriori conclusions drawn from observational evidence but a priori assumptions based on.....whatever the fuck people were smoking back in the day.

- - - Updated - - -

Petition to rename quantum physics to quantum fuckery since it borders on magic at times.

Why do electrons cease to exist between energy levels? Quantum fuckery. Why is there baryon asymmetry? Quantum fuckery. How does gravity work across nearly infinite distances? Quantum fuckery.
    Would that make the scientists quantum fuckists or quantum fuckers?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    Would that make the scientists quantum fuckists or quantum fuckers?
    Quantum fuckists has a nice ring to it.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The thing I love about Science, is that it'll gladly say "We don't know", and yet they'll never settle for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    The thing I love about Science, is that it'll gladly say "We don't know", and yet they'll never settle for that.
    The quantum fuckists will find us an answer. Maybe.

The quantum fuckists will find us an answer. Maybe.
    Quantum Fuckists?... I like it! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't get it;
    No, you don't get it. You've got a circular argument on your hands. "We don't talk about certain topics because they're bullshit and because they're bullshit, we don't talk about them." That's all you've got.

Quote Originally Posted by staticflare View Post
    I was thinking to myself and I had a thought that I'd like some answers to. So by hawkins logic space and time began with the big bang right? So if time started with the big bang, how could anything outside of space and time exist beforehand? There had to be a cause for the big bang it couldn't just "happen". But if space and time is literally everything in this universe which enables cause and effect, how can something that is outside of cause and effect cause the big bang to happen? Anyone have any ideas?
    Personally i believe in the multi universe theories and that our universe came about from the big bang as part of a never ending cycle of universes coming into existence and dying off. I seen documentaries about theories like this by serious physicists but i do not know how concrete it is. Their are mathematical models of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, you don't get it. You've got a circular argument on your hands. "We don't talk about certain topics because they're bullshit and because they're bullshit, we don't talk about them." That's all you've got.
    They're bullshit because they're unsubstantiated and invented a priori, and because they're unsubstantiated they do not merit discussion in the same context as science. It isn't remotely circular.

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't remotely circular.
    "We don't discuss unsubstantiated things and because we won't discuss them, they're unsubstantiated."

10+ Year Old Account
    "We don't discuss unsubstantiated things and because we won't discuss them, they're unsubstantiated."
    Substantiation or at the very least being derived conclusions of observations or mathematical proof is the minimum entry fee for a seat at the table. Your 'ideas' don't meet that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Substantiation or at the very least being derived conclusions of observations or mathematical proof is the minimum entry fee for a seat at the table. Your 'ideas' don't meet that.
    Getting dizzy yet from all those circles you're making?

The actual reason those topics can't be discussed on this forum is because they lead to flame wars.

The reason they aren't discussed in science is because nobody has proposed a test for them, and science only deals with testable claims.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    The actual reason those topics can't be discussed on this forum is because they lead to flame wars.

The reason they aren't discussed in science is because nobody has proposed a test for them, and science only deals with testable claims.
    You can't really create a test for something not derived from empirical observation or mathematical proof.

I was thinking to myself and I had a thought that I'd like some answers to. So by hawkins logic space and time began with the big bang right? So if time started with the big bang, how could anything outside of space and time exist beforehand? There had to be a cause for the big bang it couldn't just "happen". But if space and time is literally everything in this universe which enables cause and effect, how can something that is outside of cause and effect cause the big bang to happen? Anyone have any ideas?
    What physicists refer to as "space and time," or more correctly "space-time" (they even rightfully tried to create a new word for it, but they're not known for their creativity) is not actual space or actual time. It's something else entirely, and represents all the "stuff" of the observable universe. There was a time before the Big Bang, and it did happen somewhere in a space. Those two concepts just have next to no meaning for physicists. So when they refer to space and time, they're referring to space-time, not the actual concepts of space or time but rather than the substance of it within the observable universe that seems to stretch and flow, as oppose to the absolutes of the concepts.

My guess is that humans have an extremely limited understanding of nothingness and that it could be at least from my perspective that we are already living n a form of nothingness. We know from thermodynamics that nothing can just begin to exist out of nowhere (the energy of a closed system doesn't change), but what if there is a negative equivalent for the existing things we know (Energy, matter, dark energy, dark matter) so that they exactly cancel each other out? The universe would have zero energy and the big bang would just be the split of the "negative" and the "positive" part.

It's kind of a non sequitur, because part of your question includes "before the big bang" but if time didn't exist yet, there was no "before." The universe would have existed in a state that did not involve time, which is still a non-sequitur, because I used the words "would have" and "did not", implying time.

I'm not sure we'll ever be able to wrap our minds around that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.