Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Guild Wars 2 has the best progression system in any MMO that I've ever played.

Hello champions, good to see you.

Okay, before you start typing "WHAT ARE YOU SAYING LOTUS? ARE YOU INSANE?", listen to me, to why I think that GW2 has the best progression system in any MMO so far.

I played Ragnarök, Perfect World, World of Wacraft, Rift, Runescape, Lineage 2, Tree of Savior, Mu Online, and many others. Most of them offer good progression systems, Ragnarök being my one of my favourites as well.

But I think that Guild Wars 2's progression tops all of those MMO's - GW2's progression is great: You level up with everything, and most of the content is easily accessible, even at early levels. It may be more casual, yes, but it still fun as hell.

Yet, people complain that GW2 has no end game. In the early days, I kinda agreed with that statement. Sometimes you feel lost, because technically you don't have anything to "look out for", to "achieve".

This brings me to the main topic:

Heart of Thorns (and, in the future, Path of Fire) brought Masteries to the table. And I think that Masteries are one of the most incredible things that any MMO has ever created - You unlock things that your character can do, but you don't reset your old progress with that. This brings imaginative ways to progress your PC, and you don't just discard everything that you did on the last year or so while doing that.

Let me give an example:

In MMO-X, you level up to level 70. You farm equipments, get the best loot, etc. Then, after a year and a half, a new xpac comes, raising the level to 80. All your old equipment, all your old progress...is thrown away. You don't keep anything, and everything offered by the new xpac is way better than the gear that you worked a lot in the last one.

In GW2, you keep your equipment, so no need to keep farming new equips - you're already ready for the jungle, you're the Pact Commander, after all. Then, you learn new ways to navigate the jungle - Gliding, jumping on mushrooms, learning new languages, etc.

For me (Read that again, until you understand that this is MY opinion), GW2 nailed the progression with Heart of Thorns - We could use a little less grind on it, yes, it's not a flawless system, but it's what MMO's should be doing nowadays - Your character should evolve, not your equipment. You already have an epic sword made with magic dragon bones, so why would a "green" plastic knife be better than it?

TL/DR: Heart of Thorns nailed the progression system in GW2, and Path of Fire is looking to do more things with it. I think that the progression system in GW2 is better than other MMO's because of that.

PS: Sorry for my english.
    Last edited by Lotus Victoria; 2017-08-06 at 04:52 AM.

I don't agree. As bothersome as being paced by timegates, timesinks and a truckload of RNG is, I will take WoW anyday over economy/credit card progression. No matter how West-friendly it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I don't agree. As bothersome as being paced by timegates, timesinks and a truckload of RNG is, I will take WoW anyday over economy/credit card progression. No matter how West-friendly it is.
    Hmmm what?

GW2 has a bunch of timegates and timesinks? Compared to WoW where grinds/releases are designed around squeezing another $15 sub out of players? To get new content in GW2 all you need to do is log in, thats it. Even if you don't currently have an expac you "saved" the content to your account should you ever buy an expac. In WoW I always have to pay $15/month to access content.

GW2s LS3 is a .5 worth of an xpac of content (the initial release of an xpac), FREE. No monthly sub, its yours even if you don't have the xpac (buying the xpac gives grandfathers your access to the LS content). If I resub WoW, I still have to play through old Legion content paying $15 a month if I want to play through the story.

How much does it cost to access old LS content if you forgot to login or you're a new play (assuming you have the xpac)....$10 or 800 gems worth of in game gold. 800 gems in GW2 gold is much less than buying a WoW token in gold.

Progression in GW2 is skill based. You can't out gear content, you HAVE to learn mechanics or find people good enough to carry you. In WoW I can just outgear a raid, you can't out gear GW2 raids, from Wing 1 to Wing 4. From fractal 70 to fractal 100 (the T4 fractals).

POF comes out in Sept. Guess what? A play that skipped HoT isn't at a disadvantage assuming they had exotic and/or ascended gear when they left off. NO SUB REQUIRED Skip a xpac in WoW and you're left with a laughable ilvl.

The GW system (in GW1 and GW2) has always pitted skill > grinding equipment tiers. Unlock once > sub fees. Is the model better, well no because Blizzard clearly makes more money. Is it sustainable and works for the GW niche? Yes because the GW franchise is almost as old as the WoW franchise (WoW not Warcraft in general) and still going strong. GW2 is easily the most sustainable modern MMO thats not back by piles of money....WoW. 5 years and GW2 is still going strong, says a lot for an MMO.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

i'm really impressed with the game myself i love that it's more skill Based and you can still progress. it's now my mmo of choice

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Mastery system is actually fairly annoying to me. I hated that I couldn't just go exploring throughout HoT without arbitrary X Mastery Exp/Points to learn how to Jump higher.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    i've recently got back into it and as crafting goes its really nice other then the crafted mats don't go into the mat tab.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I really want to love the game, but it feels even more like a damn job than WoW did, somehow. I know a lot of that is because I tend to want to try all the classes and their viable specs, and you just can't get away with that in GW2 the way you can in other games. But still, I'd rather just pay the damn sub fee and make the game stop acting like a goddamned F2P title.
    Whats keeping you from trying all the classes and specs in GW2? Assuming you have HOT.

Also GW2 would've been classified as a F2P game 6-7 years ago. Difference being is that GW2s model is less restrictive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    i've recently got back into it and as crafting goes its really nice other then the crafted mats don't go into the mat tab.
    Not sure how recently you came back but they just expanded the storage system thanks to an independent dev putting in lots of OT. It wasn't exactly advertised in patch notes but a lot of stuff got added to storage.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    POF comes out in Sept. Guess what? A play that skipped HoT isn't at a disadvantage assuming they had exotic and/or ascended gear when they left off. NO SUB REQUIRED Skip a xpac in WoW and you're left with a laughable ilvl.
    If you skip an expansion in WoW you just buy the new expansion and level up like everyone else. It's not like ilvl matters at that point. Even if you come late to an expansion there's ton of catchup mechanics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by leviathonlx View Post
    If you skip an expansion in WoW you just buy the new expansion and level up like everyone else. It's not like ilvl matters at that point. Even if you come late to an expansion there's ton of catchup mechanics.
    Same thing applies in GW2. You get a free xpac boost and lvling another to 80 is fast and simple.

- - - Updated - - -

Because getting decent gear for them costs an arm and a fucking leg relative to how much gold you get actually doing things, and I'm not going to spend my nights bored out of my mind farming gold. If that's what other people find entertaining, then more power to them. I refused to do that shit in other MMOs, and I sure won't do it here where it's even more miserable.
    Decent gear in GW2 is what? Berserkers or Vipers? Berserkers is available anywhere. Viper isn't exactly expensive to get hold of. The jump between exotic Viper -> ascended Viper is negligible in raids unless your group(s) is struggling to meet the few hard enrage timers in the game. Berserkers is a bigger jump but not game ending. You can get the overall feel of builds in the pvp lobby.

The only hard stat combos in GW2 can be easily earned in WvW in 1 week or 2s work playing casual. Ascended isn't needed to raid. You need it for fractals but these a stupid amount of ways to earn it/get agony resist before you're forced to "grind" it out.

Different strokes. GW is the "alt" MMORPG to WoW for people who don't want to pay sub fees. I'm just posting for a game I like, doesn't mean everyone has to like it.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2017-08-06 at 06:23 AM.

Deleted
    Meh, honestly GW2 is a B2P game that behaves like a F2P game
    as someone that's played plenty of f2p games by now, no.
    Gw2's cash shop is far more 'respectful' to its playerbase compared to the stuff that's out there. At least with gw2 i never have that lingering feeling that one day i might have to cash out because the devs decide to up their revenue a bit with some must haves.

The grind in gw2 is far more tolerable than that of f2p games. where the dev's intention is usually to make the grind as tedious as possible so you spend that $$$ to bypass it
    Last edited by mmoc30ed4cc660; 2017-08-06 at 11:38 AM.

I'm sorry to ask this here, but I want to know what ever (if anything) happened to the personal story aspect of the game. It was ths the only thing that kept me playing GW2. Is it still around, or was it abandoned entirely?

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    I'm sorry to ask this here, but I want to know what ever (if anything) happened to the personal story aspect of the game. It was ths the only thing that kept me playing GW2. Is it still around, or was it abandoned entirely?
    It is still around - it's called "Living Story".

I guess I would agree. It certainly is the only MMO that I come back to play and the system is the most friendly to those that take a bit of time off.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    The Mastery system is actually fairly annoying to me. I hated that I couldn't just go exploring throughout HoT without arbitrary X Mastery Exp/Points to learn how to Jump higher.
    it would be no different if it was levels

you would be gated by levels

but at least this way there isn't a power steep where you lose all your gear and progress.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    it would be no different if it was levels

you would be gated by levels

but at least this way there isn't a power steep where you lose all your gear and progress.
    Well no I wuldn't, since I already had to get to level 80 THEN need to get mastery levels. People talk about pointless grinds in WoW, yet GW2 has some of the worst grinds in any MMO i've played.

Well no I wuldn't, since I already had to get to level 80 THEN need to get mastery levels. People talk about pointless grinds in WoW, yet GW2 has some of the worst grinds in any MMO i've played.
    you must not have played very many mmos

That's why I stopped playing Legion. I had already levelled to cap in WoD - now they wanted me to get more levels?! The gall of the developers!

I disagree, and that's why I don't play GW2.

I've always agreed that raising the level cap is silly and pointless for the most part. No free passes for either game here.
    It's however one of the bastion core parts of the genre.

raising the level cap is the easy way out