Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Chinese tourists arrested in Germany for making Hitler salutes outside Reichstag

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...side-reichstag

Berlin police detain two men after they photographed each other striking Nazi-era poses outside German parliament
    Reichstag.

Nazi salutes are illegal in Germany.

German police have arrested two Chinese tourists for making illegal Hitler salutes in front of the Reichstag building that houses the German parliament.

Berlin police officers say they detained two men, aged 36 and 49, after they were seen striking the Nazi-era pose and photographing each other with their mobile phones.

They face charges for “using symbols of illegal organisations”, the police said in a statement, and were released after posting bail of €500 (£450) each.

Germany has strict laws on hate speech and symbols linked to Hitler and the Nazis, who ruled between 1933 and 1945.

The Reichstag is a powerful symbol in Germany. It was destroyed by fire in 1933 by an arsonist thought to have been paid by the Nazis, who then blamed the blaze on the Communists and used it as an excuse to severely restrict civil liberties.
    As a German I have to say: yeah ofc, if you go to a country you have to abide their laws, even as a tourist. On the other hand, I understand that it can be hard for outsiders to relate to the obsession Germans have with their history.

Maybe we should hand any incoming tourist a flyer with these rules so they don't get themselves in hot water? /sigh

Haha this is funny. Tourists should always be aware of the laws of a country before they enter it, saves you a good amount of trouble in some countries.

lol i laughed hard at that, funny stuff. Guess he loves history

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post

As a German I have to say: yeah ofc, if you go to a country you have to abide their laws, even as a tourist. On the other hand, I understand that it can be hard for outsiders to relate to the obsession Germans have with their history.

Maybe we should hand any incoming tourist a flyer with these rules so they don't get themselves in hot water? /sigh
    Just imagine how large of a flyer you would have to give ppl.

Ah the Germans... what?! they are the ones in the wrong here, stop hiding your past you genocidal maniacs.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Ah the Germans... what?! they are the ones in the wrong here, stop hiding your past you genocidal maniacs.
    Haha, says the guy from the US, I had a good laugh

Stop doing drugs please.

This 100%

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

It's the Chinese, they're not tolerant, well-informed or open. Try living in China as a foreigner to learn about how racist the country is.

Which laws in the U.S. force you to ignore/hide their history again? It must have worked really well because I have no idea what you're referring to.

Ignorance is no excuse.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    It's the Chinese, they're not tolerant, well-informed or open. Try living in China as a foreigner to learn about how racist the country is.
    Why is it that you people talk shit about a country which you haven't even visited? Yes, there's racism in China just like there is racism in other places, no it's not the hellhole you people think it is as portrayed by biased media.

@bungeebungee

Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    Which laws in the U.S. force you to ignore/hide their history again? It must have worked really well because I have no idea what you're referring to.
    I'm not talking about the "hiding"-aspect, though I wouldn't call it hiding. There are monuments all over Germany to remind people of WWII and the Nazi crimes. So nobody is hiding anything.

I was referring to the genocide part. Native Americans /wink

15+ Year Old Account
    Now that is just funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    Why is it that you people talk shit about a country which you haven't even visited? Yes, there's racism in China just like there is racism in other places, no it's not the hellhole you people think it is as portrayed by biased media.

@bungeebungee
    Its a fairly known fact that chinies people are racist as fuck to none natives.
    I'm not really sure what you are even trying to say/cover with your useless post.

Does not matter if he has lived/visited there, there's plenty of documentation and videos, story's and what not that go around for your post to be complete and utter bull whiteknighting something you have no clue about.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    Its a fairly known fact that chinies people are racist as fuck to none natives.
    I'm not really sure what you are even trying to say/cover with your useless post.

Does not matter if he has lived/visited there, there's plenty of documentation and videos, story's and what not that go around for your post to be complete and utter bull whiteknighting something you have no clue about.
    No, they are not racist as fuck to non-natives, there are racists, yes. I live in Taiwan, I visit mainland China a few times per year too due to work and I'm not a native. I've encountered racism a few times over the years but you people make it out to be happening all the time. Drop the hyperbole.
    Last edited by Nitro Fun; 2017-08-06 at 01:27 PM.

are the police sure they were doing a Nazi salute? Asian people tend to point at EVERYTHING when the go on holiday, mixed signals? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Germans don't ignore their history they are taught about it, there are plenty of memorial places also, the use of symbols as these are considering glorification which is forbidden.

I am hoping this is sarcasm although very little surprises me these days.

Deleted
    Well, we learned from our past. If just other countries would learn that fascism is no good idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's next? Italy makes it illegal to take pictures of people holding up the leaning tower?

God forbid anyone gets offended from a hand gesture....