Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangg View Post
    I love esports, but I hope it won't.

Why do people want that so much? What's wrong with e-sports being it's own thing?
    The games are shit and it's already tainted with big money.

Same reason that Crossfit won't be in the Olympics...it's not a real sport.

The moment gaming stopped being a hobby for enterntainment and become a sport/job is the moment gaming turned to shit , this is why companies start creating DLC infested games, remember the good old days where you bought a disc and it contain the full game? good times.

Considering the Olympic Comittee now allows men to compete as women I don't see a problem, as the Olympic games stopped being primarily about sport. Give it enough time, or better yet pay off enough of the officials, and e-sports can become an olympic sport as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigrifid View Post
    The moment gaming stopped being a hobby for enterntainment and become a sport/job is the moment gaming turned to shit , this is why companies start creating DLC infested games, remember the good old days where you bought a disc and it contain the full game? good times.
    What does DLC have to do with competitive gaming? Like, there's 0 connection. There have been videogame tournaments for at least 2 decades by now.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    What does DLC have to do with competitive gaming? Like, there's 0 connection. There have been videogame tournaments for at least 2 decades by now.
    2 decades yes , but what did we had? CS and dota , not 100 games , now that companies see how many people follow those "proffessional" gamers they try to squish more money out of them , so no i hope gaming doesnt become an olympic game cause it will push companies even further and gaming has nothing to do with actual exercise like olympic games.

Quote Originally Posted by Sama-81 View Post
    Problem is, if you do, the argument for actually making esports into an olympic event becomes even weaker. And not by a little margin, either.
    So to be clear your argument so far has been "They can change the game over time so its unsuitable" and then "If they don't change the game over time it's EVEN MORE UNSUITABLE".

Okay
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Herein is the issue; video games do not have the same permanency as Olympic events. Archery is something that can be done in 2000 BCE or 20,000 CE. League of Legends? Not so much.
    They didn't shot rifles 2000 BCE. They didn't have winter Olympics either. The first proves that the Olympics can embrace technological change. The second means that the whole concept can be radically altered and even have a new branch created to fit its desired purpose. Combine these two things together into the remaining length of human civilization (that granted can be 10 years or 100,000,000 years) odds still are high that some sort of electronic sport will be introduced into the Olympics. I mean any things we are conceived of now will be nothing but dust just a 100 years from now. Let alone 10,000 or 100,000 years from now. The whole concept of what is an athletics or even sport itself will almost certainly be 100% different. I am not saying this is an absolute. In fact, I doubt any current concept of e-sport will ever be in the Olympics. So yeah, your lol @ LoL thing is likely true. But who is to say some day in the future you don't step into a cylinder and simulate hand to hand fighting across the globe as a video game. Or years from now VR isn't some sort of actually reality that is virtual? One that you pretty much cannot tell the difference?

All I am saying is in what could be an infinite future odds play high if the Olympic games stretch for that whole possible time period electronic sport will eventually find its way into the games. In what exact form or within our life time? Unknown on the first and unlikely on the second. But honestly its pretty easy to see beyond these points that odds are favorable. As long as both humanity and the Olympics make it long enough.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2017-08-06 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    So to be clear your argument so far has been "They can change the game over time so its unsuitable" and then "If they don't change the game over time it's EVEN MORE UNSUITABLE".

Okay
    That's a nice try to twist my arguments into becoming seemingly weak, when you yourself actually have none at all. None what-so-ever. Which obviously is why you only try to torpedo other arguments, I mean what else is there when only other people have any in the first place? Either way, my stance is, that esports are highly unsuitable for the olympic games, since they then have to be 'static' for a long time, being unable to change with the developments in esports outside of the olympics. The only, and I do mean only, reason for incorporating esports into the olympics would be the popularity - a popularity that would significantly drop over a short period of time if the olympic version became static and fixed. Now, surely that wasn't too hard for you to comprehend?

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope not. The term e-sport is embarrassing enough.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Herein is the issue; video games do not have the same permanency as Olympic events. Archery is something that can be done in 2000 BCE or 20,000 CE. League of Legends? Not so much.

- - - Updated - - -

e-Thletics
    Here is a list of possible 2020 Summer Olympic events that don't meet you criteria:
    badminton
    baseball and softball
    basketball
    beach volleyball
    cycling (track, road, mountain, BMX)
    equestrian (dressage, jumping and eventing)
    field hockey
    golf
    handball
    roller sport
    rugby 7s
    shooting
    soccer / football
    surfing
    table tennis
    tennis
    volleyball (indoor)
    water polo

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    naaah, nobody wants to mess with biathlon, these athlets are awesome.
    But the other ones, just standing around and point a rifle or pistol ? Pfft ! CSGO is more skill based than that IMHO
    You are aware that there are a lot of lesser sports in the Olympics that never get national coverage because they just aren't that popular? Yeah, if it isn't something like the biathlon at the winter games, no one gives a shit about any sporting event where shooting is involved (and I know biathlon only gets covered during the winter Olympics because there are usually Canadian athletes involved, we wouldn't give a damn otherwise). Might as well put them all on Duck Dynasty or something because there really is so little physical skill involved in aiming a gun, just like there is no physical skill involved in aiming a mouse. Do it with stock controls and no modified settings or specialty keyboards and mice and let's see how good half of these CSGO players actually are.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    God no.

Sitting in a computer chair clicking the keypad and moving the mouse isn't a sport. No matter how many times people want to classify it as a sport.

Secondly, skateboarding is fucking hard as shit to do.
    It's more than that or the gap between players would be none existed and if it's so easy go do it. Top players make millions, it will be easy cash for someone like you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zigrifid View Post
    Downloadable content exist because while developers wait for there games to be given a rating by the esrb. They have two options fire people or create downloadable content which saves peoples jobs. Scummy companies like electronic arts probably withhold actual content as downloadable content but they're just assholes and will abuse the system until people stop buying their shit.

We've had gaming competition before downloadable content was even a thing. Grow the fuck up and start blaming the company or the consumers who buy Ea's shit which is basically early access garbage. They fucked up battlefront somehow all they fucking needed was a conquest mode on launch with pvp but they seriously fucked that up because of greed and incompetence.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2017-08-06 at 03:58 PM.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Quote Originally Posted by Sama-81 View Post
    That's a nice try to twist my arguments into becoming seemingly weak, when you yourself actually have none at all. None what-so-ever. Which obviously is why you only try to torpedo other arguments, I mean what else is there when only other people have any in the first place? Either way, my stance is, that esports are highly unsuitable for the olympic games, since they then have to be 'static' for a long time, being unable to change with the developments in esports outside of the olympics. The only, and I do mean only, reason for incorporating esports into the olympics would be the popularity - a popularity that would significantly drop over a short period of time if the olympic version became static and fixed. Now, surely that wasn't too hard for you to comprehend?
    Well done for recognising what I was doing. Sorry you felt your argument got torpedoed

To be clear I was never trying to make an argument for their incorporation. I just find this topic interesting because nearly every argument people present as a reason not to has a caveat or is simply flawed; so it mostly just boils down to "It doesn't feel right to me"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by druenos View Post
    ... its too niche as well, it might be popular in the gaming world but most of the human population isn't interested in even playing video games, never mind watching others play video games, most people find it pointless, which it is.
    Being fair, though, outside of the Olympic games, no one gives a fuck about long-jump, javelin, sprinting, long-distance running, hurdling etc. etc. etc. all pretty "high class" olympic events.
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2017-08-06 at 07:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Well done for recognising what I was doing. Sorry you felt your argument got torpedoed

To be clear I was never trying to make an argument for their incorporation. I just find this topic interesting because nearly every argument people present as a reason not to has a caveat or is simply flawed; so it mostly just boils down to "It doesn't feel right to me"

- - - Updated - - -

Being fair, though, outside of the Olympic games, no one gives a fuck about long-jump, javelin, sprinting, long-distance running, hurdling etc. etc. etc. all pretty "high class" olympic events.
    Yeah for now I don't feel the e-sports need to be in the Olympics it's mostly just a E-sports isn't athletic enough to be in it. But most of the other reasons people give for it not to be in it are easily gotten around or just don't hold water.