Poll: Should Doomplate Thrall return as a main character and Warchief?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    The time is now for new stories to be written. We all know Saurfang is just a placeholder. The question is who will step up?
    He could be the Warchief-mentor who thrall once was in the lichking era, and setup a new character with the development like Nazgrin(who could be a great warchief)

there are possibilities who we already know, or they could create more

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    she could be a awesome warchief if Blizzard was rly into the feminist wave of we '"need""" a female characters with power position, but hey, who don't like elves amright
    It's not about gender. In order to co-exist with the rest of the world, the Horde needs a noble diplomat in charge, not a warmonger. Zaela had been one of the few somewhat developed sensible orcs out there. Of course it all went out of the window when she got a crush on Garrosh and became a fanatic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razaron View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. Just because Metzen has retired doesn't mean he won't voice him, he's even said he'd still like to do it. You're assuming a lot, unless you've got insider information we all don't have.

Metzen Tweet
    ...As I thought, you only care about a scenario where he returns as Warchief no matter what. And you're grasping. It's like at least two other people in this thread have said, Thrall will not play a prominent role in WoW anymore. That's why he went out like he did in Legion. At least the Player Shaman got to see "closure" in regards to him. I'll put it like this: IF Thrall appears again, it's very unlikely he will play a huge role in the Warcraft story. Big as in being a key part of a large storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    He could be the Warchief-mentor who thrall once was in the lichking era, and setup a new character with the development like Nazgrin(who could be a great warchief)

there are possibilities who we already know, or they could create more
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking, too. Thrall mentored Garrosh during the Northrend Campaign and proved himself an Orc the Horde could rally behind. Saurfang lost his son during the Northrend Campaign so I'm thinking it would be a new character introduced either at the end of Legion or at the beginning of the next expansion. This Orc would be mentored and trained by Saurfang like Thrall was. Would be awesome to me if this Orc is a Death Knight. Oh, the irony. LOL.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

...As I thought, you only care about a scenario where he returns as Warchief no matter what. And you're grasping.
    Not really, though it is the question I asked. Would I like to see Thrall return and be Warchief again, yes. Would I like to see a leading Orc character play a bigger role, hell yes.

It's like at least two other people in this thread have said, Thrall will not play a prominent role in WoW anymore. That's why he went out like he did in Legion. At least the Player Shaman got to see "closure" in regards to him. I'll put it like this: IF Thrall appears again, it's very unlikely he will play a huge role in the Warcraft story. Big as in being a key part of a large storyline.
    Again, you must have some insider information if you can definitively say that. To me it looks like he's on the back burner for now as other characters are predominately in the spotlight. You say I'm grasping at wanting Thrall to be Warchief, whatever. But you're just grasping at straws full-stop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thrall is one of the best written characters Blizzard have, you don't have a bloody clue. I suggest you go read Lord of the Clans.
    I'm pretty sure novel writers don't write WoW's in-game lore and/or character lines, so pointing at the books is kind of pointless. In-game, yes, Thrall is a horribly written character, with decisions that baffle basically everyone. Appointing Garrosh to lead the Orcs instead of more experienced names, like Saurfang and Eitrigg.... and a better qualified leader for the Horde, like Vol'jin or Cairne, are two major examples.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I'm pretty sure novel writers don't write WoW's in-game lore and/or character lines, so pointing at the books is kind of pointless. In-game, yes, Thrall is a horribly written character, with decisions that baffle basically everyone. Appointing Garrosh to lead the Orcs instead of more experienced names, like Saurfang and Eitrigg.... and a better qualified leader for the Horde, like Vol'jin or Cairne, are two major examples.
    There's is a difference between in-game storytelling and a character written down in a book. Thrall is one of the best written characters Blizzard have thanks to Christie Golden. Cataclysm wasn't Thrall's strongest point but even then it wasn't that bad. Also Garrosh became Warchief in an in-game scene but it was done in the books a lot better. Thrall made a miscalculation, it's all apart of storytelling. Thrall isn't perfect, hopefully no character Blizzard make will be. Thrall making Garrosh Warchief doesn't automatically make him a bad in-game character. That's just silly talk.
    Last edited by Razaron; 2017-08-06 at 04:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's is a difference between in-game storytelling and a character written down in a book. Thrall is one of the best written characters Blizzard have thanks to Christie Golden. Cataclysm wasn't Thrall's strongest point but even then it wasn't that bad. Also Garrosh became Warchief in an in-game scene but it was done in the books a lot better. Thrall made a miscalculation, it's all apart of storytelling. Thrall isn't perfect, hopefully no character Blizzard make will be. Thrall making Garrosh Warchief doesn't automatically make him a bad in-game character. That's just silly talk.
    Here's the thing: when people say that character A or character B are "horribly written characters", unless specified, they're usually not talking about any books, but actually the in-game writing for such character. As for Thrall's "miscalculation", it's been a long while since the Cataclysm expansion, but wasn't every other Horde leader against Garrosh's nomination? I'd say calling "ignoring the council of his advisers, friends and other Horde leaders" a simple "miscalculation" is a gigantic understatement, bordering on misrepresentation of the situation.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Here's the thing: when people say that character A or character B are "horribly written characters", unless specified, they're usually not talking about any books, but actually the in-game writing for such character. As for Thrall's "miscalculation", it's been a long while since the Cataclysm expansion, but wasn't every other Horde leader against Garrosh's nomination? I'd say calling "ignoring the council of his advisers, friends and other Horde leaders" a simple "miscalculation" is a gigantic understatement, bordering on misrepresentation of the situation.
    But how does that decision make him a "horribly written character"?

Breaking Bad, universally acclaimed drama. Walter White the main character made mistakes, does that make him a "horribly written character"?

Blizzard have improved story telling each expansion, I admit a lot of the stuff that use to appear in the books should of appeared in-game. Thrall went over his decision in the book in great detail, this didn't materialise in-game. Now days you'd of had a cut scene and extra voice acting, just look at the improvements from Illidan from Burning Crusade to Illidan now.

Lets be real as well, Garrosh was always volatile, especially during WOTLK. But by Cataclysm he seemed to have started to become a good leader but it's only because Blizzard completely went 360 with his character that it's been made in to the mistake it has.
    Last edited by Razaron; 2017-08-06 at 04:27 PM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by n7stormreaver View Post
    He's barely 30 years old and world is not getting any safer. It's just completely illogical for such major figure to "retire" at such young age when there is still a ton to be done.
    Thrall is in his late 30's/early 40's.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Argarock View Post
    no, Thrall is a horribly written character, and should have been killed off a while ago.

or, he should try to reclaim the doomhammer at the end of Legion, just to be killed by the player character.
    Pretty much of this. As well Jaina, Anduin, Sylvanas and Greymane are horrible written characters.

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    Pretty much of this. As well Jaina, Anduin, Sylvanas and Greymane are horrible written characters.
    Explain why.

10+ Year Old Account
    But how does that decision make him a "horribly written character"?

Breaking Bad, universally acclaimed drama. Walter White the main character made mistakes, does that make him a "horribly written character"?

Blizzard have improved story telling each expansion, I admit a lot of the stuff that use to appear in the books should of appeared in-game. Thrall went over his decision in the book in great detail, this didn't materialise in-game. Now days you'd of had a cut scene and extra voice acting, just look at the improvements from Illidan from Burning Crusade to Illidan now.

Lets be real as well, Garrosh was always volatile, especially during WOTLK. But by Cataclysm he seemed to have started to become a good leader but it's only because Blizzard completely went 360 with his character that it's been made in to the mistake it has.
    Man just stop trying I know what you are getting at and I agree with you 100%.

Does make me wonder if people on these forums read other books and understand character...

Joffrey from game of thrones is the worst character ever, he made so many wrong decisions, = worst written character ever

God damn that Saruman, was the worst written character ever, he should have been a good guy, the decisions he made in the trilogy were awful, turning into a bad guy what a dumb wizard, as we know good guys always win, hense bad character writing = worst written character ever...

People seem to confuse character with written character on this forum, it's actually laughable lol

Just because someone writes someone as a dick or an asshole or a bad guy doesn't make it bad writing. Thats just the character they are perceived as.

I for one like the Genn 'character' because he overlooks the simplest things, he doesn't see reason, he sees the world in black or white with no gray, he is headstrong and pretty brash, but doesn't tend to think before he acts. That's not bad writing just because you don't like the character if anything thats a sucess
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-08-06 at 05:07 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Either kill him off or give him a purpose. Having him be subservient to the people he once ruled over is bad writing, and having Sylvanas Windrunner as Warchief is just... ugh.

Bring WOTLK Thrall back and he can become Warchief with Sylvanas as his right hand
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    Explain why.
    Jaina because turning her from peacekeeper into bloodthirsty wanted vengeance archmage.
    Anduin because even with Shalamayne, he will still don't have Varian balls to do any actions.
    Sylvanas because she is more and more desperate to turn more people of Azeroth into undeads, she is no better than Lich King.
    Greymane same reason as Jaina, but at least is reasonable and stayed in Alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    Jaina because turning her from peacekeeper into bloodthirsty wanted vengeance archmage.
    Anduin because even with Shalamayne, he will still don't have Varian balls to do any actions.
    Sylvanas because she is more and more desperate to turn more people of Azeroth into undeads, she is no better than Lich King.
    Greymane same reason as Jaina, but at least is reasonable and stayed in Alliance.
    I feel you're judging them by their personalities rather then how they are written, which is fine. But just because you can't stand Anduin's lack of action shall we say, it doesn't mean he's a poorly written character. He's just not your cup of tea, I personally don't like a few characters but they have there place in the Warcraft story.

I think that's where a lot of peoples opinions stem from, the inability to see the difference between not liking a character and twisting it so that they appear to be a badly written character.
    Last edited by Razaron; 2017-08-06 at 09:22 PM.

There was a period of time that might've worked, but it's been too long.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

Thrall is one of the best written characters Blizzard have, you don't have a bloody clue. I suggest you go read Lord of the Clans.
    what is lord of the clans? I'm assuming it's one of the books?

I'll judge in-game Thrall based on in-games Thralls writing.. and in-game Thrall has been struggling since Wotlk.. you know, when they started writing a story for him..
    I've no idea what to write here.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Cataclysm kinda butchered Thrall. It's too hard to look at him and not see Green Jesus.
    I'll never understand why people soured on Thrall in Cataclysm. He IS the world's strongest Shaman. So what if he wielded the Demon Soul as the 'Earth' part? He's probably the strongest Shaman who ever lived, it only makes sense that if ANYONE were to represent that element it would be him. Thrall even as a newbie Shaman levelled a fortress with an earthquake casually.

No one bitched when Malfurion destroyed Archimonde.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Presenting Thrall as in any way a peacekeeper who wanted good relations with the Alliance means he was either a hypocrit or incompetent and that predates his choice of a Warchief replacement.

He did nothing to curb Warsong hostilities in Ashenvale. He glorified the orcs of the Old Horde instead of trying to set up a different example for the new generation and promoting the views of orcs like Saurfang or Drek'thar by naming every last place after them and using their arms and armor. He allied with the Forsaken. No, Thrall was never interested in peace or at least he had no understanding of how to achieve it.

Now if Thrall wearing the Doomplate and coming clean with his first priority being a better life for his people outside the wasteland that is Durotar, who is openly antagonistic to the Alliance and who owns up to his mistakes without going into depression, I'd welcome that orc. But not seeing that happen.
    Thrall believed in the idea of peace but he also thought that his responsibilities to his people came first. According to him, if he didn't do the things he did, his people would shun him and eventually challenge him for the mantle of Warchief. He mentioned this a few times in the novels IIRC.

What's wrong with Saurfang and Drek'thar's views anyway? Neither of them seeks conflict with the Alliance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    All it takes is an incel at the wrong place wrong time and we won't even know what hit us.