Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    Ragnaros was known and established? Other than the firelord neutral hero, I had never heard of anynthing related to him before. Hell, there were no hints at fire elementals existing in wc3
    We knew of Rags in vanilla. The zones, the Dark Iron and of course the MC raid all established that lore. So when he appeared in Cata it wasn't "Here' a new enemy! Ragnaros!!!"

That's what I mean. Obviously they can and need to create lore of things that happened post WC3 - but for it to really work they need to lay some groundwork. Hell, they even did this in a minor fashion with Garrosh. So when people say "they can just pull something out of thin air! It's no problem creating new lore!!!" I disagree that they can or should just spring new threats with no background at least not if they want it to be well done.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    We knew of Rags in vanilla. The zones, the Dark Iron and of course the MC raid all established that lore. So when he appeared in Cata it wasn't "Here' a new enemy! Ragnaros!!!"

That's what I mean. Obviously they can and need to create lore of things that happened post WC3 - but for it to really work they need to lay some groundwork. Hell, they even did this in a minor fashion with Garrosh. So when people say "they can just pull something out of thin air! It's no problem creating new lore!!!" I disagree that they can or should just spring new threats with no background at least not if they want it to be well done.
    But he was a boss in vanilla first. What is the difference between him being created for vanilla and Bob the Ethereal being created for 8.0?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    But he was a boss in vanilla first. What is the difference between him being created for vanilla and Bob the Ethereal being created for 8.0?
    And again, you had the entire zone setup as lead in to vanilla.They didn't just open vanilla with "Here's Ragnaros...." which is basically what some people are advocating. Also, it was vanilla. Not the 7th expansion.

Now, for something like Ethereals... we've seen them before. We saw some void creatures on the Broken Shore and the 7.3 PTR has etherial around the Vindicaar (one, at least)... so they're starting to lay groundwork. That's fine - I'm not saying they need to do several years of it. But if you read this thread it's like some people think it would be good storytelling to just have J Random Threat suddenly appear.

Separate issue but some people seem really threatened by the idea that we might only have another 10 years of WoW. That's... odd to me.

And again, you had the entire zone setup as lead in to vanilla.They didn't just open vanilla with "Here's Ragnaros...." which is basically what some people are advocating. Also, it was vanilla. Not the 7th expansion.

Now, for something like Ethereals... we've seen them before. We saw some void creatures on the Broken Shore and the 7.3 PTR has etherial around the Vindicaar (one, at least)... so they're starting to lay groundwork. That's fine - I'm not saying they need to do several years of it. But if you read this thread it's like some people think it would be good storytelling to just have J Random Threat suddenly appear.

Separate issue but some people seem really threatened by the idea that we might only have another 10 years of WoW. That's... odd to me.
    No yeah I agree with you, Putting someone never spoken of in the box art wouldn't be genious, taking a whole expansion to develop the new villain would generally be preferable.

I highly doubt wow is ending within 10 years on the simple basis that EQ is still around. Of course, it won't necessarily be the giant with 8M+ players and relatively big expansions every two years.

The same people who think Blizzard can't create new lore are usually obsessed with the nostalgia they have for the first few expansions. These people are of the firm belief anything new Blizzard tries to do is automatically infinitely worse than anything they've done in the past because they're no longer the game's target demographic. They're like bitter exes who just can't accept the fact that the game moved on without them and they'll cling onto whatever shitty fucking argument they can to make their equally shitty opinion seem more prescient.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    The same people who think Blizzard can't create new lore are usually obsessed with the nostalgia they have for the first few expansions. These people are of the firm belief anything new Blizzard tries to do is automatically infinitely worse than anything they've done in the past because they're no longer the game's target demographic. They're like bitter exes who just can't accept the fact that the game moved on without them and they'll cling onto whatever shitty fucking argument they can to make their equally shitty opinion seem more prescient.
    Read the fucking thread. You're just regurgitating bullshit straw man points combined with whiny, semi-personal attacks. Try actually making a point next time.

You forgot the word QUALITY

Run out of quality lore.

Deleted
    Because people in this forum lack the creativity to think up new lore and the ability to know others might not lack that creativity.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's not the Lore that will kill wow OP. It's either the consumer or developer that gets upset at the old software and engine and it's limitations that they abandon it for something else that wow will be dead. It will probably live on as private or open servers long after blizz stops maintaining it many years from now.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Read the fucking thread. You're just regurgitating bullshit straw man points combined with whiny, semi-personal attacks. Try actually making a point next time.
    Oh. Sorry for responding to the OP instead of whatever anti-Blizzard circlejerk this thread has devolved into. Thanks for taking me off your ignore list to point this out.

But I'm not really sorry for having a negative viewpoint of people who are so completely disillusioned by nostalgia they absolutely refuse to even entertain the idea that there are people at Blizzard with the creative capacity to continue a long-standing storyline in new and interesting directions.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    Thank you, Captain Obvious. Was there a point to this post?
    If it was obvious people won't say this expac was pulled out from Blizz's ass. If you like I can quote you several forumers across general section and their lines,I am willing to spend time in searching each and everyone of them as I'll indulge.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kazakov View Post
    That’s just like, your opinion, man.
    I like the Old Gods / Void lore much more than WoTLK. And that's why Ulduar is my favourite WoTLK raid.
    Titan architure the only old god there is Yoggy

- - - Updated - - -

simple formula: assimilation + continuity.
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2017-08-07 at 01:55 AM.

Dumb people think that because they have limited imaginations and are thus unable to understand that other people do not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    There's an infinite number of worlds out there though. The Draenei went to hundreds in their journey away from the burning legion
    Chances to visit other Draenei worlds are kinda low, because why focus on them. When the main threat now is void, and eventually Zandalari because we still don't know, what happend to Zul and eventually Rastakhan. Sources on WoWpedia suggests, that Rastakhan is alive, but Zandalari lost thier home due to Cataclysm.

Blizzard is running out of lore because in legion they are pushing azhsara. Nzoth and the void the only three threats left which conviniently fit in the last areas of azeroth.

MoP used garrosh a character built up over four expansions.
    MoP used one of the four old gods

MoP used the Zandalari

WoD used GulDan Chogall Gorefiend Archimonde and Blackhand.

As far back as vanilla the elementL lords bios and the war of the three hammers story PREDATES WoW. Nefarian and Onyxia are new but important by being Deathwings 2 prime children.

Anyway next expansion can conslude zul, azshara , nzoth and the war against the void considering legions story.

The end is coming and if blizzard wanted new lore chronicles would of established something more than just void lords. If more expansions wdree coming villans would appear now instead of pushing the duo and the void theme.

Blizzard has never used villans that dont have a deep connection to some facet of the lore. Unfortunately a major lore creation hook was Titan lore which culminates and exhausts itself in Antorus

This lore careied ulduar, throne of thunder, halls of origination, and trial of valor.

So legion and titan lore is pretty much axed post legion

The only wild card antagonist is jaina but blizzcon will answer the future and possible end of warcraft story
    Last edited by anaxie; 2017-08-07 at 04:17 PM.

Deleted
    Because people don't have much imagination.

Easy becouse people think that lore can only be made up long before a game, and is not something that can evolve with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Blizzard is running out of lore because in legion they are pushing azhsara. Nzoth and the void the only three threats left which conviniently fit in the last areas of azeroth.

MoP used garrosh a character built up over four expansions.
    MoP used one of the four old gods

MoP used the Zandalari

WoD used GulDan Chogall Gorefiend Archimonde and Blackhand.

As far back as vanilla the elementL lords bios and the war of the three hammers story PREDATES WoW. Nefarian and Onyxia are new but important by being Deathwings 2 prime children.

Anyway next expansion can conslude zul, azshara , nzoth and the war against the void considering legions story.

The end is coming and if blizzard wanted new lore chronicles would of established something more than just void lords. If more expansions wdree coming villans would appear now instead of pushing the duo and the void theme.

Blizzard has never used villans that dont have a deep connection to some facet of the lore. Unfortunately a major lore creation hook was Titan lore which culminates and exhausts itself in Antorus

This lore careied ulduar, throne of thunder, halls of origination, and trial of valor.

So legion and titan lore is pretty much axed post legion

The only wild card antagonist is jaina but blizzcon will answer the future and possible end of warcraft story
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Easy becouse people think that lore can only be made up long before a game, and is not something that can evolve with the game.
    It does evolve. But the WOW createx lore till now is also exhausted thats the point.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They will run out of lore by proxy of players who will run out of interest in their lore.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    Because people don't have much imagination.
    I say its easy to grasp why people are in denial because they are ignorant and consider asspull lore new. When its not it relies on yearss old concepts like titan lore and pre existing characters or long time built ones. That is now exhausted.

Warcraft 3 isnt what is exhausted. The entire franchise from the 90s to now is whats exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    It does evolve. But the WOW createx lore till now is also exhausted thats the point.
    I am sadly too lazy to make this research for the sake of this argument, but if you researched the amount of lore and villains that were created in vanilla, only to get killed in vanilla (not even mentioning the open threads that still linger from vanilla). you'd see how meaningless it is if we run out of lore, provided that blizzard does another expansion without a world-ending threat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    They will run out of lore by proxy of players who will run out of interest in their lore.
    That won't happen, even if and when their lore goes completely to shit (it will take a significantly lower level than WoD story telling, I'd say), you'll still have people consuming it. Have you seen the amount of shit available on netflix that people watch? Things are extremely subjective. Even if you can "objectively criticize the quality of the story", consumers are not professional critics and might not care.