Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taheen74 View Post
    My husband swears up and down that he saw a horn in Roland's bag in some shots. He hasn't read the novels but knows about the horn because I've been talking about this movie for months (okay bitching).
    Still not enough. They were making out like it was going to be a huge thing, and they don't even mention it? Or do a suitabley "Chekov's Gun" level intro for it?

Fuck that.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I have to wonder how and why this movie got cut down to 91 minutes. I wish people did more reporting on the actual making of shit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by taheen74 View Post
    My husband swears up and down that he saw a horn in Roland's bag in some shots. He hasn't read the novels but knows about the horn because I've been talking about this movie for months (okay bitching).
    Yes you can see the end of it poking out of his bag.

That is it.

Literally.

Edit:

That is it, this is the extent that the horn is in the movie. It is not even mentioned in dialogue.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-08-07 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Why not cause some turn out to be bad? this is a bs reason.

Stand by me, The Shining (Kubrick), Misery, Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, IT, The Mist and Running man where good ones.
    Yep those are the exceptions. I'd like to point out as well that half of those are good movies that are GOD AWFUL adaptations.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Feederino Senpai View Post
    Quite a few problems with that though, isn't it? The Man in Black is rather dead in the books. <- spoiler if you haven't read the books.
    And Roland wasn't black. And he didn't have his horn.

Remember how the books end? With Roland starting his journey over.

...The Man in Black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

This movie just basically ended up being the Warcraft movie on a smaller scale.

Big pants to fill, much hype, giant turd.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Spoiler if you haven't read the books:

The last line of the last book is the first line of the first book: "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed." He literally cycles back to the "crux of his journey," where he became irredeemable, IE, right before he met Jake and let him fall under the mountain.
    See and I think that creates a big problem for those of us that are really iffy on this film. For years now, we've been running under the same assumption that it's the same journey each time, however, with small differences/different decisions. I think a lot of us can agree that if they had actually started this movie the correct way: that being the MiB fleeing miles and miles across the desert and then panning into Roland (The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed), it would have more acceptable then the changes start showing (the differences now that he has the horn).

I know I was really disappointed that we didn't get the correct beginning. Not sure why they felt the need to tell it via Jake's perspective from the beginning.

I started accepting the changes when Roland didn't drop him off the cliff.

I generally did enjoy the movie, but I think it would have sat better with the correct beginning.
    "When you've got to get down, but can't find the elevator, you have to do it any way you can. Even if it's with a shovel."- Dark Tower II: Drawing of the Three, Stephen King
    Juju's kgpanels: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/jujus-kgpanels Juju's blog: http://mouthygoblin.weebly.com/jujus-blog.html#/

Quote Originally Posted by f3llyn View Post
    And Roland wasn't black. And he didn't have his horn.

Remember how the books end? With Roland starting his journey over.

...The Man in Black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
    Yeah, we've gone through that in the previous posts.

To be honest, it hardly matters that Roland is played by Idris Elba, he is an awesome actor. And as many critics and reviews have mentioned - Idris Elba is one of the few things that actually went right with the movie. So don't even take that route
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Yeah, we've gone through that in the previous posts.

To be honest, it hardly matters that Roland is played by Idris Elba, he is an awesome actor. And as many critics and reviews have mentioned - Idris Elba is one of the few things that actually went right with the movie. So don't even take that route
    I wasn't disputing that..?

Quote Originally Posted by f3llyn View Post
    I wasn't disputing that..?
    "And Roland wasn't black" was your very first sentence.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

He's implying that this movie was a fresh cycle, allowing Roland to be black, like you were discussing how the man in black can be "back" despite dying in the books. That's it.

"And Roland wasn't black" was your very first sentence.
    Yeah, so go back and read our entire discussion and put it in context. I feel like this shouldn't even need to be explained considering you're the one who made the point to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    He's implying that this movie was a fresh cycle, allowing Roland to be black, like you were discussing how the man in black can be "back" despite dying in the books. That's it.
    Exactly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Glad this aint doing so well. The dark tower deserves, demands an authentic retelling if you ever want to try and bring it to the big screen. It simply can't work unless the first film is a 3 hour saga of desert walking, strange conversations and flashbacks that ends on the most absolute cliffhanger.

Idris is savagely miscast. Might be the mans a good actor, I can only recall him from his bland dozen lines spread out over two thor films. But he simply does not belong here. Call it a diversity problem but change for its own (sjw appeasement) sake is just dumb. The combining of several Plot points and starting somewhere near book 4 or 5? At best this has just looked like streamlining gone wrong.

At worst it's another case of "we have the bones of a new IP but nobody will greenlight it so we'll make it dark towerish and sell on that"
    Wrath baby and proud of it

Deleted
    Idris Elbas talent is squandered again.

Quote Originally Posted by FragmentedFaith View Post
    Glad this aint doing so well. The dark tower deserves, demands an authentic retelling if you ever want to try and bring it to the big screen. It simply can't work unless the first film is a 3 hour saga of desert walking, strange conversations and flashbacks that ends on the most absolute cliffhanger.

Idris is savagely miscast. Might be the mans a good actor, I can only recall him from his bland dozen lines spread out over two thor films. But he simply does not belong here. Call it a diversity problem but change for its own (sjw appeasement) sake is just dumb. The combining of several Plot points and starting somewhere near book 4 or 5? At best this has just looked like streamlining gone wrong.

At worst it's another case of "we have the bones of a new IP but nobody will greenlight it so we'll make it dark towerish and sell on that"
    idris elba is the best part of the movie. hes one of the best actors working at the moment. had the rest of the movie been as good as elba performance it would be one of the greatest movies of all time.

if the movies a flop we will likely never get a dark tower adaptation again, just like how we'll probably never get another john carter of mars movie.

unless king starts pumping out more dark tower stuff the fanbase will only continue to decrease over time.

if were lucky the movie will do well enough for the wizard and glass tv show to get greenlit and thats the best book anyways and idris and the kid who plays jake are already contracted to do the tv show if it gets greenlit
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Idris Elbas talent is squandered again.
    He'll always have the wire.

Man, Stringer Bell, one of the baddest of badasses ever, taken out by the ultimate badass. Sorry for spoilers for a show you should have watched a decade ago, but yeah, Stringer Bell is what Idris will always be to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    He'll always have the wire.
    And Luthor. BRILLIANT show, hugely underrated crime drama.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

And that shit crashes and burns. That's so good. I hope that will teach them not to cast black people in white roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    And Luthor. BRILLIANT show, hugely underrated crime drama.
    Yeah it is good, bit low on the episode count