Page 12 of 80 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivick View Post
    You have freedom of speech from government interference. you are not free from consequences. Google is a company and it is free to fire people who hurt it's brand, which this douche definitely did. If conservatives really cared so much about the free market i'd think they'd champion google's adherence to do what is best for it's business.
    A company can't fire prople based on opinions of the person. But of course you support it, you didn't like his views.

"Political belief or activity - Workplace. It is against the law to discriminate against anyone in the workplace because of their actual or assumed political beliefs or activities. Employees are protected from discrimination at all stages of employment including recruitment, workplace terms and conditions and dismissal."

Regressive.
    Last edited by Fojos; 2017-08-08 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Yeah, except that isn't what was written. You're flat out lying now.

I haven't got around to that article, but was curious to see if that was mentioned. Maybe this is what he's referring to? I dunno, I might be wrong. He could be talking about punching someone else, and or have a different meaning to it.

"And as for its impact on you: Do you understand that at this point, I could not in good conscience assign anyone to work with you? I certainly couldn’t assign any women to deal with this, a good number of the people you might have to work with may simply punch you in the face, and even if there were a group of like-minded individuals I could put you with, nobody would be able to collaborate with them. You have just created a textbook hostile workplace environment. "

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I read the entire thing and if you somehow think he backs up any of the things I just mentioned feel free to quote it in this thread. But you can't do that because the author didn't do that.
    I mean, that's sort of the problem with the original memo too, it isn't backed up by anything other than the author's words.

What are you arguing?
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    Also, epic bay area insult. Next you're going to make some clever punsult about Oregon being the beaver state, yeah? ./predictable.
    Well the bay area is filled with people like that. Everyone who has lived three and isn't one of those people knows this. It's not a terrible place or anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    A company can't fire prople based on opinions of the person.

"Political belief or activity - Workplace. It is against the law to discriminate against anyone in the workplace because of their actual or assumed political beliefs or activities. Employees are protected from discrimination at all stages of employment including recruitment, workplace terms and conditions and dismissal."

Regressive.
    They can if those opinions are so toxic they are literally illegal. Because, incase you couldn't notice, they were. Discrimination based on sex, regardless if its individual opinion, is illegal, not to mention it trumps personal belief statutes and laws in practice. Add in the human resources codes and ethics codes he was breaking internally. He would have 100% been a liability hire after that, much like the women he claims are in his memo.

For all you know he voided his contract with Google simply by speaking about internal affairs on public forum.

- - - Updated - - -

Well the bay area is filled with people like that. Everyone who has lived three and isn't one of those people knows this. It's not a terrible place or anything.
    New Jersey isn't a terrible dump, either.
    Last edited by Manabomb; 2017-08-08 at 07:15 AM.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Deleted
    Oh wow, treating women like equal human beings is such a laborous task, it's exactly like worshipping at an altar fifteen times a day. /s
    Read the damn piece and what he said. Diversity is not about equal rights in any case.

You are so hysterical.

If you walked into Google's dining hall wearing a MAGA hat, human resources would send people to hover around you while you ate to see what you were up to.

Seeing you, some of your fellow employees would go home for the day, claiming they were sick.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Is this guy talking about social engineering, because i know lots of engineers and he's way off the mark with this comment:

Engineers I know will tell you it's all about facts and figures.
    And that's why businesses end up creating roles like mine to translate engineer speak to normal human speak, so that the business can get actual value out of its technical resources rather than get frustrated at its opaque bank of weird robots that speak in code.

Thing is, as the article says, coders with no social skills are a dime a dozen in Silicon Valley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I mean, that's sort of the problem with the original memo too, it isn't backed up by anything other than the author's words.

What are you arguing?
    http://diversitymemo.com/

The memo contains links to various sources to help him make his case. That article criticizing the memo contains no sources for the few arguments it makes that might benefit from some.

- - - Updated - - -

New Jersey isn't a terrible dump, either.
    Who said anything about New Jersey?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    If you walked into Google's dining hall wearing a MAGA hat, human resources would send people to hover around you while you ate to see what you were up to.

Seeing you, some of your fellow employees would go home for the day, claiming they were sick.
    I feel a little queasy myself.

Conjures a mental image of 70 year old poorly maintained skin with a bad fake tan dusted with Cheetohs. Unappetising.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgrym View Post
    The ex-Googler who destroyed this dude and his "manifesto" pretty much covered it.
    So the main topic was gender differences.

the response from your guy
    "I’m not going to spend any length of time on (1); if anyone wishes to provide details as to how nearly every statement about gender in that entire document is actively incorrect,¹ and flies directly in the face of all research done in the field for decades, they should go for it. But I am neither a biologist, a psychologist, nor a sociologist, so I’ll leave that to someone else."

Destroyed ? LUL.

Deleted
    If I stirred up an internet shitstorm naming my employer I would be fired as well. Most would be

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    A company can't fire prople based on opinions of the person. But of course you support it, you didn't like his views.

Regressive.
    A company can however fire an employee for violating Company Code of Conduct and for creating a hostile work environment though.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://diversitymemo.com/

The memo contains links to various sources to help him make his case. That article criticizing the memo contains no sources for the few arguments it makes that might benefit from some.

- - - Updated - - -

Who said anything about New Jersey?
    When the links in his memo link to places like https://becauseits2015.wordpress.com...aq/#addressing
    I'm suddenly disenchanted by the so called "various sources that help him make his case."

Not to mention, the majority of his 'sourced' links end up linking to on the border fringe science that might as well be lumped together with gender studies, since we are talking about women. Half of its unverified, none of it is published by any reputable or scientific source. Kind of hard to take it seriously when it is literally a manifesto of sexism and a complete misunderstanding of duties.
    Last edited by Manabomb; 2017-08-08 at 07:20 AM.

I think some people in this thread have spent a lot of time shitposting on the internet and not a lot of time employed in any serious job.

This kind of behaviour will get you shitcanned pretty much anywhere remotely professional.

When the links in his memo link to places like https://becauseits2015.wordpress.com...aq/#addressing
    I'm suddenly disenchanted by the so called "various sources that help him make his case."

Not to mention, the majority of his 'sourced' links end up linking to on the border fringe science that might as well be lumped together with gender studies, since we are talking about women. Half of its unverified, none of it is published by any reputable or scientific source. Kind of hard to take it seriously when it is literally a manifesto of sexism and a complete misunderstanding of duties.
    I'm not even going to argue with you about this because it's not going to lead anywhere. Think whatever you want.

At least 50% of people in any given country would consider themselves conservative. how are you promoting diversity by only ever employing progressive liberals?
    Sorry, nobody wants the wrong kind of diversity by keeping troublemakers employed. Employees are there to work, not to mouth off far-right propaganda and lies, lowering the productivity and morale of everyone else at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    Unemployment is never a happy occasion. It occurring due to wrong-think only makes this a more disagreeable outcome.
    It's not a happy occasion for the troublemaker involved.

But for the other people who are not interested in toxic working environments will rejoice.

Good job Google for cleaning up their working environment for people who are only interested in honest work and detest evil.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Is this guy talking about social engineering, because i know lots of engineers and he's way off the mark with this comment:

Engineers I know will tell you it's all about facts and figures.
    This depends on the scope of what you're working on and at Google that only matters in the lower level positions. This was clearly stated in the blog so I'm not certain why you're intentionally glossing it over to make it sound like he's wrong because of your anecdotal second hand experience.

15+ Year Old Account
    I read what he wrote, seems okay with me. Shouldn't have gotten fired. It was well written.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not even going to argue with you about this because it's not going to lead anywhere. Think whatever you want.
    Okay hun, if you're alright with being proven wrong over the internet by some liberal bi weedsmoking cuck-quean. I thought you people had more teeth than that.