Page 19 of 80 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by twelvethirty View Post
    It's bullshit like this that gave us Donald Trump.
    No. The real reason why you've got Trump can't be written here because it would be Nation bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Free Speech is a principle that has existed for millennia.
    Are you sure? Millennia? =)

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    That whole free speech thing is between you and the government. So again, how is this a free speech issue?
    Which government where? In my country my free speech is limited by the courts and any individual that wants to sue me. Again, I wasn't referring to free speech through the prism of the US constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    And that is exactly what he didn't do. He was calling for less left wing bias and more equality of views.
    Diversity isn't left wing bias. And some views are very damaging to society and to the company he works. He's entitled to his opinions, in the sense that he won't face jail, but he's no protected from getting fired.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by Mizix View Post
    As far back as Athens. It has of course been squashed from time to time by authoritarian regimes.

edit: Also a millennia is 1000 years, not a million, in case that's where your confusion comes from. Silly word.
    Last edited by Aurrora; 2017-08-08 at 09:51 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizix View Post
    Yes, millennia, as the man said. Freedom of speech was the cornerstone of Athenian democracy. Obviously, at this point this freedom was reserved for an elite few, and not without its perils, but the concept very much existed.

Deleted
    people spouting freedom of speech not freedom of consequence shouldn't complain when someone burns their house down for having the wrong favorite color.

Deleted
    ----------------------------
    Last edited by mmoc442be69514; 2017-08-08 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jibberbox85 View Post
    That's an interesting point , but this is the main reason for that decision with the bakery.

"Longstanding Colorado state law prohibits public accommodations, including businesses such as Masterpiece Cakeshop, from refusing service based on factors such as race, sex, marital status or sexual orientation."
    I believe they refused service based on their religious or political beliefs, which is obviously intertwined with sexual orientation. This is not an open or shut case and if more of these cases pop up where people are being effectively financially sanctioned for expressing their beliefs we are going to have real trouble on our hands and we cannot have double standards like this.

"Biologically unsuitable for certain technical roles"?
    Do breast get in the way when you type on keyboards or something?

This one does not sound like the smartest person in the world, I am pretty sure they will do just fine without him.

Deleted
    Go for quality, not if they have a penis or not when you hire someone

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    no, they could not, because they were under pressure to find them. if they make no effort? they are essentially approving of his words.

pretty much

if my theory is correct? this was a calculated, rather then stupid act. he wanted to get found out and fired. worst case scenario - he stays on unemployment for a while until he gets another job, likely with a more conservative leaning company and you don't get unemployment benefits if you quit. and this way, he also puts google in a VERY crappy position no matter which way they spin it.
    Doubtful. This shit follows you. His career is wrecked.

And I'm not even sure what a "conservative leaning" company is. Business is business. I work with people from my company at the anti-Trump group during off hours. But we don't discuss jack shit about it during work hours. There was like a few weeks back in November when it was acceptable. Not since.

Politics has no place in the workplace period.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post

This one does not sound like the smartest person in the world, I am pretty sure they will do just fine without him.
    Maybe he's just smarter than you and you don't understand what he's talking about so you just misrepresent what he's saying in order to feel like you're up to speed with the conversation

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post

Breasts put strain on your spine, if you sit down on a chair all day you are going to end up like the hunchback of Notre Damn. Sure you can solve it with expensive chairs, but biologically breasts are not a advantage when doing office work

Not sure if anyone has seen this. It's an email from Sundar Pichai (Chief Executive Officer of Google) addressing the issue.

"Subject: Our words matter

This has been a very difficult few days. I wanted to provide an update on the memo that was circulated over this past week.

First, let me say that we strongly support the right of Googlers to express themselves, and much of what was in that memo is fair to debate, regardless of whether a vast majority of Googlers disagree with it. However, portions of the memo violate our Code of Conduct and cross the line by advancing harmful gender stereotypes in our workplace. Our job is to build great products for users that make a difference in their lives. To suggest a group of our colleagues have traits that make them less biologically suited to that work is offensive and not OK. It is contrary to our basic values and our Code of Conduct, which expects “each Googler to do their utmost to create a workplace culture that is free of harassment, intimidation, bias and unlawful discrimination.”

The memo has clearly impacted our co-workers, some of whom are hurting and feel judged based on their gender. Our co-workers shouldn’t have to worry that each time they open their mouths to speak in a meeting, they have to prove that they are not like the memo states, being “agreeable” rather than “assertive,” showing a “lower stress tolerance,” or being “neurotic.”

At the same time, there are co-workers who are questioning whether they can safely express their views in the workplace (especially those with a minority viewpoint). They too feel under threat, and that is also not OK. People must feel free to express dissent. So to be clear again, many points raised in the memo — such as the portions criticizing Google’s trainings, questioning the role of ideology in the workplace, and debating whether programs for women and underserved groups are sufficiently open to all — are important topics. The author had a right to express their views on those topics — we encourage an environment in which people can do this and it remains our policy to not take action against anyone for prompting these discussions.

The past few days have been very difficult for many at the company, and we need to find a way to debate issues on which we might disagree — while doing so in line with our Code of Conduct. I’d encourage each of you to make an effort over the coming days to reach out to those who might have different perspectives from your own. I will be doing the same.

I have been on work related travel in Africa and Europe the past couple of weeks and had just started my family vacation here this week. I have decided to return tomorrow as clearly there’s a lot more to discuss as a group — including how we create a more inclusive environment for all.

So please join me, along with members of the leadership team at a town hall on Thursday. Check your calendar soon for details.

— Sundar"

Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    Idiots will always be idiots. Leftist idiots just tend to be the most vocal. There are conservative idiots as well, no doubt. I'm still to see someone get fired because they believe they should have more diversity in a conservative corporation environment. Or make it to the news even.
    Google fired the guy to drown this entire dumb controversy. Not because they agreed with "leftists" (what a stupid word).

Consider the alternatives. Was there any way to Google to come out of this without it dragging the company through the mud? No. So they did the right thing and amputated the infection.

It made news because Silicon Valley, which is tremndously wealthy, increasingly powerful and whose big five are dominating American business more every year, is very much male dominated, and specifically White, Asian and Indian. That is a fact. The coverage is a natural outgrowth of this fact of life. Because of its size, there is no way it WOULDN'T be covered by the news.

This entire thing really is a big "who cares". I rip into Russia, Trump and the deplorables here in a truly vicious manner every day of the week. But because I'm not a moron, I don't do it at work.

i wouldn't say free speech in this case, had it not been for google initially saying that they want to be open to all views and allow their employees free speech basically.

so, they're liars.

now, i know there are biological differences between men and women. personally, i don't think they would come into place in computer stuff, only physical jobs, so i don't agree with him there.

but he didn't deserve to be fired when google came out right after this memo and said they wanted to be open for all employees to voice their opinions. that's not right, and you just made yourselves liars.

By the way, funs upporting fact. My Undergraduate Computer Science class a decade ago had 120 people in it. It was over 75% male.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I agree with the content and ideas in the memo, you don't go ahead and spread this internally in the company.

Company I work for had a similar case, we have CEO assistant who apparently is member of Jehova Witnessess or some shit like that and one day she sent a memo in regards. Naturally people complained and she got reprimanded for that, with quite clear public "next time you do this shit - you are out".

We are small company and value our people so we aren't firing people for making one mistake, but we do make sure to point out that some stuff is not acceptable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    By the way, funs upporting fact. My Undergraduate Computer Science class a decade ago had 120 people in it. It was over 75% male.
    In my case it was 15%. That's why I consider what that guy was saying as actual correct fact, because the fact is that before everything many more men train and study in hightech field then women. So 50-50 is not feasible really now.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i wouldn't say free speech in this case, had it not been for google initially saying that they want to be open to all views and allow their employees free speech basically.

so, they're liars.

now, i know there are biological differences between men and women. personally, i don't think they would come into place in computer stuff, only physical jobs, so i don't agree with him there.

but he didn't deserve to be fired when google came out right after this memo and said they wanted to be open for all employees to voice their opinions. that's not right, and you just made yourselves liars.
    He absolutely deserved to be fired. Google can fire you for whatever reason they want.

And of course Google lies. Again, the only kind of person who would express politics like this when their career would be effected is an absolutely fucking idiot.