Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Raiding: Why DON'T you do Heroic / Mythic?

Simple question:

If you choose to do anything below heroic and mythic difficulty, why?

Are you one who prefers to do them after the next raid comes out?

I'm sure there are several reasons why people choose not to do the next difficulty, but what is YOUR reason?

For me, I choose to raid heroic because for now that is my sweet spot. It fulfills just enough challenge for me to keep the fights interesting, and at the same time it allows me to clear current raids with a 1 night, 3 hours per week raid schedule.

I used to raid mythic and before that heroic (when heroic was the highest difficulty), because I chose to dedicate more time to raiding then, plus I wasn't married and was young into my career and had quite a bit more dispensable time.

Lastly, i don't think "elitism" is a real reason for not raiding higher difficulties. I feel like that is just a cop out excuse for not being very good at the game or its the excuse people turn to when they won't for whatever reason dedicate the effort to completing raids on higher difficulties.

I dont raid heroic or mythic because I cant stand the endless repetition that follows along with it anymore. For the longest time what I enjoyed the most was the progression feeling, going hard against a boss until it eventually fell, but now I get ticks just thinking about it.

I tried playing other MMO's a while back and those I only played super casually, no guilds and no group content unless it was required to continue with the story, and I believe that opened my eyes - I still enjoyed playing these even though I didnt do any of the things I swore was the prime reason to why I enjoyed WoW and so my raiding spirit was slowly but surely dying out.

I dont raid at all anymore and am for the first time in almost 10 years about to cancel my subscription, I get to play a truckload other games now that I didn't feel like I had time for before and I love that, I used to be one of the people filling up my steam library with countless games that I never got around to play, but no more.

There are many aspects of the game that I have no interest in. So I don't participate in them. Next question?

I still raid cutting edge but question myself why i do so. yes, its fun playing with friends, but throwing hours into a boss because of things outside of your own control is alo frustrating

Deleted
    I would if I have time, but my sporadic time I am free to play means its sometimes tricky.

I know there are pugs, but once again, its the sporadic time I am free. And for the most part when I am free on weekends: going out with mates > going through a raid wins out almost every time. Also, as the 'curve' achievements mean little to me, I can run ToS for example when Argus hits, as the runs are more frequent.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't do Mythic due to unlocking progression or, due to many mythic guilds turn out to be quite, horrible in attitude - not all.

I raid LFR, Normal and Heroic - and I don't mind.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    I like heroic but I no longer want to raid Mythic. Just not interested in investing that much into the game and I have bad luck finding guilds that don't fall apart the second progression gets tough. So flex Heroics are for me.

Really though organized raiding is falling to the wayside for me. Don't really feel like being tied to a schedule so I just pug normal when I feel like it.

Quote Originally Posted by david0925 View Post
    I still raid cutting edge but question myself why i do so. yes, its fun playing with friends, but throwing hours into a boss because of things outside of your own control is alo frustrating
    I'm 4/9M (4th gotten last night) and I 100% feel like this. About a handful of my deaths were caused by me, maybe, MAYBE one wipe. The majority of the time though, it's caused by the 25% special kids club who can't dodge a glaive or decide to trigger a thousand Astral Purges.

I question it every day because my mentality is that if I'm going to raid Mythics, I'm going to put a lot of effort into it, and the rest of my guild should to. If I only did Heroic, I'd be a bit more lax about it. It drives me nuts that I throw hours and hours into improving, getting better, learning new strats and fights, and some people do the bare minimum of just showing up. Makes me want to strangle people.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

To be honest Jay I stick to Normal and LFR because I don't want to be in a dedicated environment anymore. Tried it when I was doing HC/Mythic and it wasn't fun. This was back in Mists.

Used to raid pretty hardcore in TBC, Wrath, and Cata. Little bit in Pandaria. As time has gone by and I've gone from being a college kid with tons of free time to a married man with 2 kids, a wife, and a time consuming job as a server admin, it's just harder and harder to find the time to commit to a raid team. These days, I run the off-night runs with my guild, which means normal for the first several months of a tier, then eventually heroic. I'd love to be part of a progression raid team again, but it's just a matter of time and priorities.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know. Common sense? Do you know how many games a person can play in the time it takes to finish a current mythic raid? And, different from a single player game, in a raid, most of my defeats are out of my control.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Simple question: If you choose to do anything below heroic and mythic difficulty, why?
    Because my quest told me I needed it done in at least Normal. The challenge does not motivate me one way or the other. I could care less. I'd do the quest in LFR just to get them done if I was allowed. Raiding is the least interesting activity in WoW to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock
    Are you one who prefers to do them after the next raid comes out?
    Honestly, I don't like relying on others to do anything and prefer to do it an expansion or two later when I can just solo it. Anti-social maybe... but it gets the job done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    I'm 4/9M (4th gotten last night) and I 100% feel like this. About a handful of my deaths were caused by me, maybe, MAYBE one wipe. The majority of the time though, it's caused by the 25% special kids club who can't dodge a glaive or decide to trigger a thousand Astral Purges.

I question it every day because my mentality is that if I'm going to raid Mythics, I'm going to put a lot of effort into it, and the rest of my guild should to. If I only did Heroic, I'd be a bit more lax about it. It drives me nuts that I throw hours and hours into improving, getting better, learning new strats and fights, and some people do the bare minimum of just showing up. Makes me want to strangle people.
    I mean as a mythic raider as well, I think you're overestimating the amount of deaths caused by those "special club" people. A lot of the time it's down to healers and tanks to figure out the fights and that can feel frustrating. A lot of the deaths can be prevented simply by better healing or tanks tanking less damage at key times in order for your healers to focus on healing the raid. I'd reckon that the same handful of deaths you experience that cause wipes are probably the same amount of wipe-inducing deaths that any individual player on your team makes. There might be one or two people who die 2 or 3 times more, but I guarantee the deaths are more split out then you're making them out to be in your mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    I don't know. Common sense? Do you know how many games a person can play in the time it takes to finish a current mythic raid? And, different from a single player game, in a raid, most of my defeats are out of my control.
    Yeah I can see that. The more players you introduce then the less you individually contribute. Probably 1/20th of the wipes are you fault and the other 19/20ths are somebody else's which has this huge negative connotation in literally everybody's minds. Every time it's not them it feels bad because you just have this collective mental grouping. It's like "Your deaths" and "Raid deaths" when it should be "Your deaths", "Joe's Deaths", "Matt's Deaths", etc.

as a mythic raider i would only do heroic if i didnot had enough time to raid mythic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    To be honest Jay I stick to Normal and LFR because I don't want to be in a dedicated environment anymore. Tried it when I was doing HC/Mythic and it wasn't fun. This was back in Mists.
    This is a completely respectable stance. I understand you completely.

Im in the same boat when it comes to mythic. I'd really like to see that progression and down those bosses, I just don't want to dedicate the time it requires to the learning curve and wipes to kill those bosses. Heroic is my sweet spot since I only raid on an organized basis for 3 hours a week. Seems like a small price to pay for the entertainment and reward of heroic for me

Deleted
    I'd like to get into Mythic raiding, but between work and a 5 hour time zone difference between my partner and I, there isn't really time. I've been meaning to see if I can make any progress healing Mythic with a controller too, since heroic seems doable. Also the Mythic set bonus gear looks pretty cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    I mean as a mythic raider as well, I think you're overestimating the amount of deaths caused by those "special club" people. A lot of the time it's down to healers and tanks to figure out the fights and that can feel frustrating. A lot of the deaths can be prevented simply by better healing or tanks tanking less damage at key times in order for your healers to focus on healing the raid. I'd reckon that the same handful of deaths you experience that cause wipes are probably the same amount of wipe-inducing deaths that any individual player on your team makes. There might be one or two people who die 2 or 3 times more, but I guarantee the deaths are more split out then you're making them out to be in your mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I can see that. The more players you introduce then the less you individually contribute. Probably 1/20th of the wipes are you fault and the other 19/20ths are somebody else's which has this huge negative connotation in literally everybody's minds. Every time it's not them it feels bad because you just have this collective mental grouping. It's like "Your deaths" and "Raid deaths" when it should be "Your deaths", "Joe's Deaths", "Matt's Deaths", etc.
    But the whole point of raiding is accomplishing difficult things as a group. There is no "i" in team as the saying goes. You win or fail together, especially when it comes to mythic. In lower difficulties there is some room for individual error because the raids aren't tuned to be so punishing that one death half way through the fight means a kill or a wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by david0925 View Post
    ...this is the idea of a challenge, gaming, sports, and most other activities including life. I'm sorry to say it but you just basically proved the theory of the pity party kids who want participation trophies for sitting on the bench.

I don't raid mythic, simply because I don't want to, it's just that simple. However, I am not one to think putting time and effort into a game isn't the entire concept of every game that has ever existed. Now, if you have some weird notion that you shouldn't have to put in time or effort, there is a thing called television, movies, and books all of which will give you a story with little to no effort, sadly time will still be used up and you can't get it back, also things will happen where you miss parts, have to stop, and so on all of which are out of your control.

Now if you're literally spending so many extra hours on a single aspect of anything in your life because of another person and their inability to learn and progress then that person should be removed from the situation. I mean don't act like you played sports as a kid with ALL your friends on your team always, no you had a few kids you would pick last or not at all but would still hang with em, so if you're making yourself miserable for a handful of dimwits why are they your friends?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    But the whole point of raiding is accomplishing difficult things as a group. There is no "i" in team as the saying goes. You win or fail together, especially when it comes to mythic. In lower difficulties there is some room for individual error because the raids aren't tuned to be so punishing that one death half way through the fight means a kill or a wipe.
    This is semi true, except like any other team if you don't make the cut you're not going to be dragged along for the ride, or shouldn't be at least.

I took a break from raiding Mythic both because I didn't have the same amount of time to spare and started disliking the game because I had to schedule my life around it. I think that's why many people choose not to do it. Just scheduling 12-20 hours a week on specific nights to raiding is really unattractive to a lot of players.

I love mythic raiding and plan on getting back into it again, but I needed the break otherwise I'd probably never pick up the game again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too many logistical headaches for too little reward. If I wanted to work a second job, I'd pick up more hours at work and get paid for it.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!