Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Steam is arguably one of the biggest reasons why a lot of people have started buying games instead of downloading them for free. You buy the game, you own it forever, you can install it whenever you want to...and there are even decent campaigns and discounts on there. Battle.net, GOG, Origin, these do the same, although, it would, obviously, be nicer if you could have everything under the same roof.

Now, imagine if TV shows and movies were under one roof, and you could buy the movie or buy the episode of the TV show, and then own it forever, just like back in the day you would've recorded it on a VHS when it came on the TV. Imagine if you could do the same with music. Not some dumbass "access to a library" like Spotify, but actually buy the songs, buy the albums, and then own them forever. And not Apple, obviously. A Steam for TV/movies and a Steam for music.

But...hey. Disney thinks fracturing the services up more is better, and won't drive people towards warez. Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Are there really people who don't know that at this point? Oh, and you forgot Pixar.
    I mean there's like 10 people in this thread saying "who would watch only Disney movies" as if it's all just Beauty and the Beast and Frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    How many streaming services am I going to have to get? DC, Disney, Netflix, HBO...

I'm probably just going to not sub to any of them and pirate it all.
    Before long they'll make cable look attractive again... Getting all the interesting stuff may end up costing just as much as cable in 2-3 years. Yeah, I think people have wanted a 'pick and choose' your content service, but if Disney makes this as expensive as I think they will and others keep raising their rates...it won't be as 'good' for someone that likes multiple genres and types of shows.

I swear sometimes it seems like these companies really don't get basic business concepts...

Like markets have saturation points and they are not unlimited. Many people do not have endless amounts of money to sign up to multiple streaming services at a time so straight away they would need to be offering something fucking amazing to draw in people. This is hard to do and so easily undermined by other services you're competing with. Additionally, Disney even with franchises such as Marvel and SW are still going to be a niche of content. I mean how many times will you watch the avengers or SW movies before you get bored? The thing that makes netflix and co work is that they have a huge, diverse range of content that disney just doesn't have.

The fact is that Disney are very late to the party here - too late in my opinion. And they would be better off sticking to existing infrastructure rather then trying build their own lane on a highway for like the 3 cars they have. Also Disney will get the shock of it's life when ISPs start shaki g them down for money.

15+ Year Old Account
    What a wonderful idea, I'm sure everybody will be happy to pay for yet another service.

This shit is getting ridiculous. Platforms need to merge, not branch off, if they want to retain any sort of paying customers. Still waiting for a paid service that's better than pirating, I think it's going to be a long wait.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    I mean there's like 10 people in this thread saying "who would watch only Disney movies" as if it's all just Beauty and the Beast and Frozen.
    Most people don't distinguish between disney, pixar, mcu, SW, etc. it's all disney to them. I don't know why you bothered to bring up this point as if no one was aware of it.

Rather just buy the DVD's and get the bonus features w/o the monthly subscription. I'm sure if they had any foresight they might sweeten the deal with exclusive content but would it be enough? For me? Probably not.

Most people don't distinguish between disney, pixar, mcu, SW, etc. it's all disney to them. I don't know why you bothered to bring up this point as if no one was aware of it.
    because obviously people *arent* aware of Disney's properties if you think its just "animated films for kids". Although that's quite likely a successful way to brand a streaming service. most (all?) of the existing streaming services aren't exactly kid-friendly unless you're a parent wanting to put in the time to program it that your 5-year old will be able to bypass in 5 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Msshammy View Post
    As much as they charge for their physical movies I wouldn't be surprised if it was at least that much.
    The reason it will be more expensive is for one reason. ESPN. That 1 channel alone charges cable companies far more than any other channel. ESPN alone adds ~$35-40 per month to a cable bill. Not surprising though, considering the millions ESPN pays for the rights to broadcast sporting events.

I really don't think this is going to go too well for Disney. There's simply too many children's shows available on Netflix, so users will adapt. Netflix will still get their subscriptions, and Disney may lose out on the licensing benefits. We shall see.

i think streaming isnt where the money will be since no one owns the distribution system. Disney's future is as a movie company. Their business plan is to never stop buying new IPs and turning them into movie franchises. I expect Blizzard will get bought by Disney eventually because the warcraft universe is so massive that its a natural fit for a film franchise. The fact the first one was unsuccessful means little.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, thats not going to work out the way they hoped. They will make money but not meet expectations. People are only willing to balance so many streaming services with Netflix being king. As long as Netflix keeps pumping out orginal content at a competitive price they wont be dethroned.

Hulu had to attract people through its free alternative. Amazon with Amazon Prime. HBO GO isnt huge and its still on Amazon Prime in some form, depends on GoT.

A Disney service will have to pull ALL shows from other services (bet those shows are behind contracts - this includes stuff from ABC and ESPN), put all its old movies from other sources (same applies to shows) and buy out of any future deals (Marvel on Netflix). Not charge a Disney price. And then, only then, will they have a chance to be a player in the market.

"Sorry Billy, daddy isnt subbing to another service just so you can watch Lion King. Better find something you like on Netflix or Youtube."

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I remember when Netflix came out, it was praised because it meant people could watch a variety of shows without being forced into buying multiple channel/packages on Cable TV which made it a cheap alternative.

Now with the amount of Streaming services coming out, it will likely be cheaper to just go back to Cable instead of paying for 5 different streaming services to get the shows you want without pirating.

GG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    because obviously people *arent* aware of Disney's properties if you think its just "animated films for kids". Although that's quite likely a successful way to brand a streaming service. most (all?) of the existing streaming services aren't exactly kid-friendly unless you're a parent wanting to put in the time to program it that your 5-year old will be able to bypass in 5 seconds.
    If its just the stuff from their channel and cartoons its going to be a very niche service that must be cheap enough (under $10) for parents to justify not just buying their kids DVDs or saying "well youll have to learn to watch new shows".

Adding all Disney content sort of defeats the purpose of your last statement and be expensive. Think Ill stick to my Netflix.

If you bothered to read the rest of the replies in the thread you would eat your words and no longer be wondering. Get over yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If the Marvel shows are pulld would it make a difference? It would for me...
    People would pirate them out a spite. Want to enjoy them on your TV? Get a Kodi box.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    The reason it will be more expensive is for one reason. ESPN. That 1 channel alone charges cable companies far more than any other channel. ESPN alone adds ~$35-40 per month to a cable bill. Not surprising though, considering the millions ESPN pays for the rights to broadcast sporting events.
    The way sports rights are being negotiated these days is insane, so clear that whoever negotiates them is playing with money that doesn't belong to them.

This story in general is yet another example of corporate bro's never being happy with having lots of money when they think they can have all the money.

A lot of groups are doing this and I don't see the point from a financial perspective. No one wants to subscribe to 20 different streaming services for content, they want to subscribe to one service that has a large selection. Do companies really think most people who pay for Netflix and watch the occasional show or movie that they (the company) own, will be willing to also pay for Netflix AND a similar cost for their much more limited selection?

10+ Year Old Account
    Bye disney.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

lol as if they have enough releases to keep it interesting