Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kufell View Post
    They're evolved humans in the same way any other human is an evolved human. Or are you trying to say they're more evolved? Because that's not how evolution works, nor your belief that they're evolving to merge with technology.

As far as I'm aware, the main reason there are more people classed as Autistic these days is because the classification has broadened greatly.
    Perhaps the word "evolved" isn't the correct word to describe what I'm saying. I'm trying to say that Autistic people have the ability to thrive in a futuristic environment with advanced technology due to their lack of need for social interaction. They have heightened intelligence and they have the ability to see past emotions and feelings and prefer to use logic and reasoning to create decisions.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Ummm, no. Even cavemen humans had empathy. They wouldn't just kill another simply because the were unusual, especially since they traveled with family and a mother/father still had a familial bond with the autist. The biggest proof I have for this theory is that Autism still exists... If we killed every autist back in the day, their genes would have been wiped out by today.
    i don't think you know how genes work. people who are not on the spectrum can still have autistic kids its not like you can only get autistic kids if your autistic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Autism isn't a mental disorder, it's a developmental disorder.
    Developmental Disorder for what? Social interaction? The reason why it's considered a developmental disorder is because neurotypicals are the majority in society.

The neurotypicals consider social interaction to be a core ability to be a fully functioning human being but that's a primitive mindset to me. That was true back then but now with our technology, we no longer need social interaction to be fully functioning anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    I think you are thinking specifically about Autist Savants, not your average autist. This thread is quickly heading towards prejudice, heated argument about things most of us are ignorant and overall nowhere good, so I suggest we all stay away.
    Well I'm sure if we can all keep our cool and remember that this is just a friendly discussion about an interesting topic... we'll do just fine. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Ummm, no. Even cavemen humans had empathy. They wouldn't just kill another simply because the were unusual, especially since they traveled with family and a mother/father still had a familial bond with the autist. The biggest proof I have for this theory is that Autism still exists... If we killed every autist back in the day, their genes would have been wiped out by today.
    Siblings carry genes.If dad and mom have six kids one has actual autism the others still carry that gene partially. If they marry someone else with similar or exact then it carries on. Now I'll grant thats simplistic but this is usually how genes work. So the family could in theory remove the one with physical symptoms of autism and still keep the gene going.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Absomal View Post
    Developmental Disorder for what? Social interaction? The reason why it's considered a developmental disorder is because neurotypicals are the majority in society.

The neurotypicals consider social interaction to be a core ability to be a fully functioning human being but that's a primitive mindset to me. That was true back then but now with our technology, we no longer need social interaction to be fully functioning anymore.
    ya that's not how it works technology is worthless if you don't have people to interact with though it.

No, it's considered a developmental disorder because it's a deviation from normal development, there is something wrong with the brain.

I understand evolution.

I understand Autism.

The type of evolution I'm talking about isn't really about Darwin's theory anymore. It's the next stage of evolution where we merge with technology.

I believe neurotypicals will die out in the future as technology progresses they will find it harder to find mates to procreate with while autistic people will thrive in such environments. I think the scenario has changed rapidly over the past few decades. It used to be more about natural environments and social environments.

Now it's more about technological environments and which types of humans can thrive in it.

- - - Updated - - -

What would you define 'humanity' as?
    You can't evolve to meet a species challenging event before it happens.
    We haven't even begun merging with technology yet. We can't evolve to meet a struggle that doesn't exist and may not ever exist.
    Evolution is a reaction, it doesn't happen preemptively.

Also human interaction whether physical or within some technological medium is still defined human interaction. Just because the medium has changed doesn't mean the same rules don't apply anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand evolution.
    Your posts suggest otherwise.

You say autism has been around for millennia, but now that it isn't so great an impediment, it must be a beneficial evolutionary trait? That doesn't make sense, and you have no evidence to support it, only baseless speculation and misunderstanding of how evolution works.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    ya that's not how it works technology is worthless if you don't have people to interact with though it.
    I meant social interaction as in meeting people in real life, to meet them face to face and to understand social cues and stuff like that.

They can still communicate through technology if they cannot communicate in real life. They can still work together as a species even if the social interaction aspect isn't there anymore. Would you agree with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Given that evolution favors traits that allow the species to pass down its genes...

I'd venture a guess and say no.
    That's not evolution. That's natural selection, a mechanism that influences evolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

This is an evolution that has gone beyond Darwin's natural evolution. Our species I believe has evolved beyond that, we're evolving with the assistance of technology.
    Ah, pseudo-science, gotcha.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Your posts suggest otherwise.

You say autism has been around for millennia, but now that it isn't so great an impediment, it must be a beneficial evolutionary trait? That doesn't make sense, and you have no evidence to support it, only baseless speculation and misunderstanding of how evolution works.
    I think you're right, it may not be evolution. I'm most likely using the wrong word to describe what it is that I'm saying.

It seems like a multi-stage rocket going into space; the neurotypicals were meant to be the first stage, the huge rocket boosters that did all the big work and as the rocket gets further it runs out of fuel and has to decouple. The next stage fires it's boosters until the fuel runs out. It decouples again until we reach the small shuttle at the top that is meant to get the people to X location.

What if Autistic people were meant to be the end result for the human beings? What if they were meant to create technology and merge themselves with it? I don't know if this is true and it's just a thought. I don't really believe in this. What do you think?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    Ah, pseudo-science, gotcha.
    Why do you think that? Isn't it possible that we're simply defying Darwin's evolution theory with the recent rapid progression of technology? It seems like we're beyond nature now.

7+ Year Old Account
    I meant social interaction as in meeting people in real life, to meet them face to face and to understand social cues and stuff like that.

They can still communicate through technology if they cannot communicate in real life. They can still work together as a species even if the social interaction aspect isn't there anymore. Would you agree with that?
    as some one on the spectrum no not really. just because i don't have to meet some one face to face does not make it easier to understand and interact with them though technology when working on projects and what not.

I have a molar that has 6 points on it. I'm either a mutant or evolved.

Autism is much more than just being socially awkward.

10+ Year Old Account
    What about higher functioning autistic people? Many of them are leading scientists in fields like physics, astrophysics and mathematics.

Some of the greatest scientists and minds of all time had Asperger's Syndrome. I wouldn't say they were developmentally impaired.
    People with autism specifically or the ones that have some kind of a gift, do so because there is some part of their cognitive function that is slightly higher than all others.

Take the I.Q Test WIAS IV for example test for Perceptual Reasoning, Vocabulary, Short Term Memory, and Processing. Meaning how fast you can work problem.

Basically all 4 elements measure from 0 to 160 or more, Your base I.Q is your average among the 4, so if your Perceptual Reasoning is say 160 the rest of your cognitive abilities could be be much lower a lot lower and with people with rare gifts it typically is, which is why they are capable of say say a extraordinary memories, meanwhile they might struggle with learning to die their shoe.

What if that species now had the required technology to allow it to pass down it's genes? Autistic people couldn't do that in the past but now they can, due to modern technology. They would see the logic and reasoning of procreating in order to survive the species and would do it voluntarily. They would also focus on producing technology and amass more knowledge about their world at the same time.
    People with Autism don't have special powers, some have some cognitive ability they may lack in all others, meaning this wouldn't happen people with autism are just people.

This is an evolution that has gone beyond Darwin's natural evolution. Our species I believe has evolved beyond that, we're evolving with the assistance of technology.
    Darwin was brilliant in many ways but not even he had romantic ideas the way many do not about natural evolution, Technology will however as you said merge with humans, but that still wouldn't change human over all intelligence.

And intelligence also doesn't automatically mean smarter, it means more than likely you are. Which is why I.Q has gone up over the past few decades but have a shit load of dumb people. Something something Einstein and allowing our technology to outpace our humanity.

What about Higher Functioning Autism? Asperger's Syndrome?
    Asperger's Syndrome is a myth in fact so much so the next DSM V will likely drop the term altogether.

It's just autism, higher and lower functioning Asperger's is just a higher functioning form of Autism.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    as some one on the spectrum no not really. just because i don't have to meet some one face to face does not make it easier to understand and interact with them though technology when working on projects and what not.
    Do you feel like you prefer logic and reasoning over emotions and feelings?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    You can't evolve to meet a species challenging event before it happens.
    We haven't even begun merging with technology yet. We can't evolve to meet a struggle that doesn't exist and may not ever exist.
    Evolution is a reaction, it doesn't happen preemptively.

Also human interaction whether physical or within some technological medium is still defined human interaction. Just because the medium has changed doesn't mean the same rules don't apply anymore.
    What about interstellar travel? Wouldn't that be an evolutionary challenge for us? And wouldn't we be able to use technology to offset that challenge and beat Darwin's evolution to the punch by a couple of thousands of years?

Would that be possible?

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Autism has been increasing at alarming rates over the years.

Scientists are stunned.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Autism is much more than just being socially awkward.
    I know that but I think you were implying about the social interaction part the most so that's why I mentioned that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Do you feel like you prefer logic and reasoning over emotions and feelings?

- - - Updated - - -

What about interstellar travel? Wouldn't that be an evolutionary challenge for us? And wouldn't we be able to use technology to offset that challenge and beat Darwin's evolution to the punch by a couple of thousands of years?

Would that be possible?
    in general yes but i also tend to feel very strongly about things in one way or another which shape my views which effect logic and reasoning.