Thread: No Man's Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Looks like a way to get some more interest on the game. Too bad they're not publicizing it a lot.
    I think for the mainstream the bridges were burnt at launch. It probably has an audience but its not the blockbuster numbers sony wanted and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I think for the mainstream the bridges were burnt at launch. It probably has an audience but its not the blockbuster numbers sony wanted and never will be.
    Well, that's for sure. Not going again on the hate train, but i wanted to buy it and my habit of waiting payed well off. Ended with a shared Steam library which had the game, tried it and got bored after not even an hour so not my kind of game i suppose - though it simply failed to get a grasp on me.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

They just announced that the ARG has officially ended and that Patch 1.3: Atlas Rising will be comming out this week for free.

No patch notes yet, but two things they said will be in there is a much deeper focus on story and now the use of the planetary Portals that have been present since day 1, but defunct until now.

Update 1.3 will release this week and will be available for free to all No Man’s Sky players. We're calling it Atlas Rises. It focuses on improving the central story of No Man’s Sky and adds the ability to quick travel between locations using portals. Patch notes will be made available shortly before the update goes live.
    Basically, the ARG in a nutshell was an introduction to the company Atlas, some of the staff behind the AI it created called "Emily", and "Emily" communicating with us and finally going rogue... which so far seems to point to her becoming the Atlas/Sentinels of the game (was pretty interesting to deal with, especially the last run this weekend!)

Two screenshot teasers were given:

1) New special kind of ship:

And here's one of the now apparently-fucntioning portals (Not Stargate inspired at all! Noooooo... :P)
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2017-08-09 at 12:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How has the game state been improving since launch? I didn't follow it too much, but tons of people were disappointed, that much I know.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    How has the game state been improving since launch? I didn't follow it too much, but tons of people were disappointed, that much I know.
    The people who were disappointed were just people expecting something different, that's all I know. No Man's Sky was great at what it did, a relaxing adventure game with the goal of finding the most interesting stuff its procedurally generated universe could make. So far it's added more player customization options with the option to build bases and customize huge freighter ships, ground vehicles to improve planetary exploration, and a hardcore mode that is FUCKING HARD CORE.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    It was largely a shallow none game. You pottered about 'mining' things for fuel to keep pottering about and you could follow this series of waypoints to the center that just took you back out to the edge to keep pottering about and it was basically all work for no reward. It developed a strange cult following from the "but the dev said you can do anything" crowd that do it everytime someone make a toddposting comment like that and fell for a total bullshot trailer. Half went nuclear it wasn't something that was clearly never real the other half went hard into denial and started using any term to excuse whats just a 3/10 busywork simulator including such abstract terms like "its just a chillout game, you settle down and throw it on and stop thinking" which is always a sign of quality when a game experience is described like dying in the snow from exposure.

They have tried to basically make a game out of what felt like a tech demo and now it looks like they are trying to add a story. Maybe it will be something neat but if any game should have taught people to hold their expectations in check to wait and see what gets released its no mans sky.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    The people who were disappointed were just told something different than what was delivered, that's all I know.
    Fixed it for you. I did not buy it because I expected them to have lied.

Deleted
    The people who were disappointed were just people expecting something different, that's all I know.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure people were "disappointed" because No Man's Sky was like 10% of what they promised it would be, and not just in general broad strokes, but specific details. If you're promised an amazing sports car, and all you get is a cup holder, then you're not exactly satisfied with what you paid for. Especially when you were shown pictures and videos of the sports car beforehand, and given specific details about the sports car as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Oh boy, oh boy, here we go again.
    Perfect timing, just bought aome popcorn. What flavour do you want?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Yeah I'm pretty sure people were "disappointed" because No Man's Sky was like 10% of what they promised it would be, and not just in general broad strokes, but specific details. If you're promised an amazing sports car, and all you get is a cup holder, then you're not exactly satisfied with what you paid for. Especially when you were shown pictures and videos of the sports car beforehand, and given specific details about the sports car as well.
    Except plenty of people were satisfied with what they got, myself included. It's only people that were butthurt about not getting some action-packed adventure game that think they got a cupholder when they were promised a car.

Except plenty of people were satisfied with what they got, myself included. It's only people that were butthurt about not getting some action-packed adventure game that think they got a cupholder when they were promised a car.
    Clearly not since the number of users on one platform dropped to an all time low in a matter of months. If anything it seems you are in the minority here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Clearly not since the number of users on one platform dropped to an all time low in a matter of months. If anything it seems you are in the minority here.
    Just people riding the hate train. I'm sure if half the people ranting about it actually sat down to play the game without any bias, they would love it.

Just people riding the hate train. I'm sure if half the people ranting about it actually sat down to play the game without any bias, they would love it.
    Yes I'm sure the game dropping to an all time low is because they are riding the "hate train"

Nice to know I don't need to take you seriously anymore.

If anything it seems you are in the minority here.
    That's always been the problem with NMS, it was always going to be a small niche game. But people were pretending otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    That's always been the problem with NMS, it was always going to be a small niche game. But people were pretending otherwise.
    And imagine if it had launched how it should. Would have hit a way bigger audience.

And no. The game had plenty of hype generated for it.

It had it's chance to get the big audience and it failed because of development and marketing issues.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-08-09 at 05:03 PM.

The whole game felt like grinding herbs in WoW to reach max level except with limited inventory room to make it less fun.
    "Punching things is cool and stuff. Pow bam bam bam Pow. O yah... God I'm eloquent." -Dalai Lama

And imagine if it had launched how it should. Would have hit a way bigger audience.
    Most likely. All the marketing and (mostly) promotion for it was a completely blown opportunity.

And no. The game had plenty of hype generated for it.
    Never suggested otherwise, so not sure who you are correcting.

It had it's chance to get the big audience and it failed because of development and marketing issues.
    Agree. It seems like almost every decision made regarding the launch of NMS was wrong.

Deleted
    Except plenty of people were satisfied with what they got, myself included.
    Anecdotal evidence is irrelevant. Your experiences are irrelevant. Look at the big picture. Look at the response. Look at the critics. Look at the ratings. One would have to be completely blind to reality not to admit that it was a massive failure at launch, and even with the updates it hasn't, in all this time, gotten up to the level of what was actually promised.

32% in Steam overall, 45% recent tells a story. You can claim that 70% of all the people just simply jumped on the hate bandwagon for no reason whatsoever and that the game was fine, but I think we all know that's a load of cow manure.

For a 59,99€ game, it should be AAA-level. It's not. It's a nichy indie game that should sell for 20-30€. And, even if it was sold for a price that actually represents what it is, that would still not explain away how it was praised by the developers, and how it didn't, and still doesn't, deliver on most of those promises.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2017-08-09 at 06:17 PM.

Deleted
    Patch 1.3 is out! It adds 30 hours of story missions, multiplayer, new resources and more!

This game is getting better and better with each update. It's nice to see that developers didn't abandon this project.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    Patch 1.3 is out! It adds 30 hours of story missions, multiplayer, new resources and more!

This game is getting better and better with each update. It's nice to see that developers didn't abandon this project.

video
    For real this time! Let us hope that it's so, at least :P