Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Upgrading current, super outdated PC for Legion.

Budget: $500-$600 US Dollars.
    Resolution: 1080p.
    Games / Settings Desired: WoW - Legion.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): Web browsing, YouTube videos, music while playing WoW. Running a 2nd WoW client at the same time.
    Parts that can be reused: Just going to post my current PC Specs, Id like to reuse anything that i can to save money.
    CPU- Intel Core2Duo E7400 2.8GHz
    Motherboard- XFX MB750I72P9 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
    GPU- Nvidia GeForce GTX 550Ti
    Memory- Corsair 4gb DDR2
    Power Supply- OCZ 700W Semi Modular
    Case- CoolerMaster HAF 932
    Hard Drive- Western Digital Blue 320GB 7200RPM
    Cd Drive- MSI CD/DVD Drive
    Cooling- Corsair Water Cooling System (forget which).
    Do you need an OS?: No.
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?: No.

Basically I'd like to upgrade the main parts of my PC since it's old as dirt. I'm currently leveling in WoW on 2-3 graphics and it does fine but I know once I hit max level and start raids shit will hit the fan. I just would like to run good high graphics so the game is prettier, Ultra not required. Also, I want to run dual monitors so I can watch youtube, browse internet without alt tabbing all the time and I may run a second WoW client for Auction House stuff while im playing on the main monitor. Thanks for the help!

I know Coffeelake is about to come out but I dont want to wait and dont think it's necessary to buy one of those CPU's just to play WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, this got caught in the filter, I've released it

Forgot to mention a SSD is a necessity. Can increase budget to accommodate.

It looks like you'd only really need a cpu/mobo/ram bundle.

look for a skylake or ryzen 1500x bundle you should be able to get those 3 parts within your budget and use everything else from your current pc.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo...=Combo.3482324

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo...=Combo.3488457

things like that you want, intel bundle is faster for wow, but there are LOTS of bundles so its really down to how much you want to spend on it, doing that would probably be the best upgrade and then next time you have money you can get a newer GPU.

with the new motherboards like the ones in the links above come with an M.2 slot which might be a better option than a regular ssd they are considerably faster.

http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/...b-mz-v6e250bw/

enough space for windows and wow, either of those bundles will probably run wow buttery smooth even in raids, while wow will probably load nearly instantly from an m.2 ssd.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-08-09 at 04:37 PM.

Awesome, thanks Heathy.. I didn't even know they had bundles like that. There's so many options these days I didn't know where to start. I'm not a fanboy for either intel or amd, I just want the best bang for the buck since all I do is play one game. I figured I could get away with my current video card as well, it plays high graphics pretty well it's just severely CPU limited in game.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1300X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($128.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($83.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Phoenix Video Card ($164.89 @ B&H)
    Total: $500.74
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-09 11:18 EDT-0400

Something like this. If you want to spend more money to upgrade further, bring the 1300x to a 1500x and getting more ram, or drop back to 8gb of ram and get a 1tb hard drive

Something like this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($118.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($83.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Phoenix Video Card ($164.89 @ B&H)
    Total: $597.74
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-09 11:23 EDT-0400

Quote Originally Posted by Unsubtlex View Post
    Awesome, thanks Heathy.. I didn't even know they had bundles like that. There's so many options these days I didn't know where to start. I'm not a fanboy for either intel or amd, I just want the best bang for the buck since all I do is play one game. I figured I could get away with my current video card as well, it plays high graphics pretty well it's just severely CPU limited in game.
    The main difference for wow between intel and amd, the new cpus, mainly its the difference between single and multi threaded performance, ryzen has better multithreaded performance, while intel has better single core performance, for wow its probably objectively better to go intel. but ryzen may be able to shine better if more games utilizes its multi threaded capabilities. ryzen might have better gains on future titles, so it might end up being the better investment.

teamkillers list above is nice you even get a gpu and ssd in those lists all within budget too.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-08-09 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks teamkiller and Heathy.

I know nothing about multicore usage and whatnot.. if I plan to run 2 WoW clients at the same time with a few internet tabs open also (mom champ, music, YouTube) is that using more cores? To where the Ryzen would work better or is that just basic shit that any modern CPU can handle adequately?

I read that the current Rysen chipset should be around for 5 years, so that's pretty attractive to me that I can upgrade without buying a new mobo every time.
    Last edited by Unsubtlex; 2017-08-09 at 07:11 PM.

Thanks teamkiller and Heathy.

I know nothing about multicore usage and whatnot.. if I plan to run 2 WoW clients at the same time with a few internet tabs open also (mom champ, music, YouTube) is that using more cores? To where the Ryzen would work better or is that just basic shit that any modern CPU can handle adequately?

I read that the current Rysen chipset should be around for 5 years, so that's pretty attractive to me that I can upgrade without buying a new mobo every time.
    For running multiple clients the ryzen with 8 cores will almost definitely outperform any four core Intel chip so you should probably look at getting the 1600.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    For running multiple clients the ryzen with 8 cores will almost definitely outperform any four core Intel chip so you should probably look at getting the 1600.
    I agree with this if your willing to learn to overclock. If not, get the 1500x. Both CPU's come with coolers. 1500x has 2cores and 4 threads less than the 1600 but is set to a higher base and boost clock. The 1600 is def the better buy if you are willing to raise the clocks in bios.

Quote Originally Posted by teamkiller View Post
    I agree with this if your willing to learn to overclock. If not, get the 1500x. Both CPU's come with coolers. 1500x has 2cores and 4 threads less than the 1600 but is set to a higher base and boost clock. The 1600 is def the better buy if you are willing to raise the clocks in bios.
    I would definitely like the capability to overclock. I probably won't mess with it at first but I would love to learn and mess around with it.

I would definitely like the capability to overclock. I probably won't mess with it at first but I would love to learn and mess around with it.
    Then get the 1600 its only 25 more than the 1500x. I have the 1600 as well personally non-oced. It still runs like a champ on base clocks. If you're willing to give it a shot, it could be a decent upgrade when you do decide to give a shot and it'll cost you nothing. The standard safe over clock i've seen is between 3.7 and 3.8 ghz(depends on the chip on how stable it will be) using stock cooler and with no voltage increase on the CPU.

Awesome, thank you and everyone else for the help! I'm sure just going from a core2duo and regular old hard drive to a 1600 and SSD will be a jaw dropping performance increase lol, I'm excited! Can't wait to order this stuff and start rebuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    It looks like you'd only really need a cpu/mobo/ram bundle.

look for a skylake or ryzen 1500x bundle you should be able to get those 3 parts within your budget and use everything else from your current pc.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo...=Combo.3482324

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo...=Combo.3488457

Do those bundles come pre assembled ?

I don't think they come pre-assembled they are just sold in bundles because its the core part of the pc so it can be cheaper sometimes to buy all 3 parts together. putting it together isn't that difficult though. you just need some space, patients and some time, 2hrs + this is the main reason why ppl dislike alienware pcs, because they charge you about 100 or more for just putting the thing together for you.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-08-10 at 03:56 AM.

I don't think they come pre-assembled they are just sold in bundles because its the core part of the pc so it can be cheaper sometimes to buy all 3 parts together. putting it together isn't that difficult though. you just need some space, patients and some time, 2hrs + this is the main reason why ppl dislike alienware pcs, because they charge you about 100 or more for just putting the thing together for you.
    Why would you need patients? Does putting together a computer suddenly make you a medical Doctor that needs to have patients? Sorry, I had to. It's "patience" BTW.

Also, no, that's not why people dislike alienware. Firstly, they charge much more than that for their name alone and the parts are at a premium. You can buy the same exaclt parts listed in an alienware build and pay someone $100(which is actually a fairly reasonable shop fee for putting a computer together) and still be cheaper than the alienware.

The real reason though is the lopsisded systems. Yes, now multi-threaded systems are starting to show differences in games, but they still are not huge and certainly have not been for the past 5 years. Yet alienware will sell you an i7 over an i5 in almost all of their gaming rigs, including ones with a 1050!?!?! That makes absolutely zero sense for a gaming machine. Dropping to an i5 and stepping up to at least a 1060 is a much more balanced system. That and cutting corners and using cheap discount components in certain areas is why almost all prebuilts, including alienware, are not a great choice for gaming.

@Unsubtlex
    Since you are building amd, seating the CPU into the MoBo and putting on the heat sink is a piece of cake. Just semi steady hands. Big rule of thumb, do not use force on anything... if it does not fit easily, do not force it.

Here a couple of videos just in case you need reference when building

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCWMByUOgbA
    https://youtu.be/LbpqkiaO7q4

@Unsubtlex
    Since you are building amd, seating the CPU into the MoBo and putting on the heat sink is a piece of cake. Just semi steady hands. Big rule of thumb, do not use force on anything... if it does not fit easily, do not force it.

Here a couple of videos just in case you need reference when building

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCWMByUOgbA
    https://youtu.be/LbpqkiaO7q4
    Thanks, I'm pretty confident in building the pc as I built it by myself the first time but it was an Intel cpu.

Does anyone know if I will be able to reuse my corsair water cooling?? I forget which model it is but it looks just like the H60. Just not sure if it will fit with the new ryzen and mobo. If not the 1600 comes with adequate cooling correct?

Thanks, I'm pretty confident in building the pc as I built it by myself the first time but it was an Intel cpu.

Does anyone know if I will be able to reuse my corsair water cooling?? I forget which model it is but it looks just like the H60. Just not sure if it will fit with the new ryzen and mobo. If not the 1600 comes with adequate cooling correct?
    you will need to order and AM4 bracket if you want to reuse it, and thats assuming they have one for that model. As for the stock cooler, the 1600 stock is more than enough for the moderate OC i listed above of 3.7-3.8ghz at stock voltage. (it may run a bit warm but its enough)

you will need to order and AM4 bracket if you want to reuse it, and thats assuming they have one for that model. As for the stock cooler, the 1600 stock is more than enough for the moderate OC i listed above of 3.7-3.8ghz at stock voltage. (it may run a bit warm but its enough)
    Here you go:
    http://www.corsair.com/en-us/am4-amd...series-coolers
    If you have CORSAIR Coolers: H60, H110i (H110i GT), H100i, the cooler is compatible with the existing AMD bracket out of the box. The AMD bracket for these coolers can be ordered here.
    http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-s...unting-bracket