Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Character prestige reset in game

I had an idea on how us the character could possibly be reset in terms of our in game prestige.

We started out as lowly adventurers and as expansions have progressed we have been promoted up through the ranks to commander and head of our respective class halls. For some this is a justified reward as we are the ones at the forefront risking our lives and sacrificing everything to repel whatever threat confronts us.

For some of us though, the level of in game advancement has become jarring and uncomfortable. We feel less as an adventurer now from an RPG standpoint.

I had thought of a possible way where this could be reversed.

This relies heavily on an Old god/void expansion, but the sentiment remains and could be transferred to another expansion setting with some tinkering.

Intro into the expansion calls for the player to lead forces to repel a threat with a task force. This would be a race and class specific orientated scenario. Unbeknown to the player, the situation is manipulated by the enemy forces from the start and the player’s overconfidence is taken advantage of. As the scenario continues, the situation ends in catastrophe. There is an unacceptable loss or ceding of an important tactical zone. We were destined to fail from the start.

Due to this uncharacteristic headstrong attitude of over confidence and arrogance, we have been manipulated to fail. Our respective RACE and CLASS leaders chastise and ostracise the player essentially demoting us and sending us back out in to the world as grunts. Due to the manipulation, we try to earn our way back into our faction’s good graces whilst exposing the manipulation of the encounter.

It is then agreed upon that the champions are an easy target due to our experiences and for that; we should allow others to collectively share our burdens whilst allowing the player to earn some respite from our duties.

Then this could help all races create new characters for each class and help promote new characters whilst returning us back in to veteran adventurers.

10+ Year Old Account
    What exactly is with the fetish with being a nobody?
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would hardly call it a fetish. I personally would rather be an adventurer than the pinnacle of my chosen class. The next step would be head of race, then head of faction.

Being recognised for our feats is one thing, but to be lavished with the responsibility and praise that comes with it gets annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    If everyone is the supreme, actually being the supreme means nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercane View Post
    Just like being a nobody.

I think that's the point of every RPG game that ever existed. At start you're nobody who fights with boars, skin them and make armor, then you're maybe fighting with demons and in the end you're doing raids with a big group of friends, killing a dragon and becoming a hero. In WoW we're already pretty much above that level. We're killing Demon Lords, Lords of Death, Old Gods, and in the 7.3 we're going to be on par with the titans... What's next lies beyond?
    Void Lords... And then? Ultra Nether Kings?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    And then? Ultra Nether Kings?
    Final boss, Chris Metzen himself in his Overwatch hoodie descends from the heavens wielding Doomhammer in one hand and Shalamayne in the other.

Deleted
    I agree with this and would love to see it happen. Another option would be a cataclysmic magical effect that greatly reduced everyones power, then you could do a stat squish that's motivated ingame even too.

I hate the hero fetish in-game. HERO HERO HERO SPECIAL SPECIAL SPECIAL *vomits*.

I miss the days when everyone was a scrub and it felt good grouping up to kill things because you knew your character wasn't sh*t in the grand scheme of things.

I really don't know who the HERO/LEADER/BESTMOSTSPECIALPLAYEREVEROMG design appeals to, but not me that's for sure.

Deleted
    after jailing sargeras we will still pick up poo or be chasing kittens in some quests.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, as far as the story goes, how would it make sense to be a nobody after everything we've done? Even with a defeat like the one in this scenario, we've done so much for our factions and even the world in general that it would make no sense for one failure to obliterate that entire reputation unless it is so utterly catastrophic that it completely reshape our factions (ie complete destruction of capital cities and deaths of faction leaders, not that I would be against that but we know Blizzard isn't going to sacrifice gameplay for story, they've shown that already).

Not to mention, if everyone can still face the ultimate baddie who destroys worlds and is the greatest threat we've ever seen yada yada yada a la KJ in a mode where you can be afk and still slay him, well, everyone will still be the hero and thusly no one will be. Ultimately, the feelings of pointlessness that you get at the current story is less about the story and more about challenge being diluted for the sake of accessibility and there being no mystique in the world or it's dangers.
    Last edited by The One Percent; 2017-08-10 at 09:09 AM.

Deleted
    The cyclops won't know who hit them.

From a certain point a view the concept of the unknown soldier or citizen is one that we hold to the highest esteem, the unseen hero is the best hero.
    Last edited by mmoc0aa4a6036f; 2017-08-10 at 09:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    I think that's the point of every RPG game that ever existed. At start you're nobody who fights with boars, skin them and make armor, then you're maybe fighting with demons and in the end you're doing raids with a big group of friends, killing a dragon and becoming a hero. In WoW we're already pretty much above that level. We're killing Demon Lords, Lords of Death, Old Gods, and in the 7.3 we're going to be on par with the titans... What's next lies beyond?
    Void Lords... And then? Ultra Nether Kings?
    The problem is we are not at the start anymore. We are over ten years later. And as far as what is next, every good RPG has to have a good ending. Of course, we know this game will not be allowed to die gracefully and with dignity. But that's the fate of all MMOs because they are not true RPGs due being unable to allow players to have any impact on the world so they don't "interfere" with any other player's experience
    Last edited by The One Percent; 2017-08-10 at 09:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We may not be at the start anymore, that is evident. But I believe far too much focus is being put on us leading the charge where there should be more lore characters for us to look up to.

There is too much emphasis being put on the player as the lore pinnacle.

From nobody looks for coke addicts to Nerevarine.

You think you are celebrated now. Haha
    Wajt till next expansion when npcs will know you rescjed titans dismantle the legion. Killed 2 full titans. And sealed sargeras. You will have TMZ following you in azeroth
    Last edited by anaxie; 2017-08-10 at 11:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allora View Post
    after jailing sargeras we will still pick up poo or be chasing kittens in some quests.
    Exactly, that's the hilarious thing about being a supreme hero-god in this game.

And I agree, it's not a wannabe nobody fetish, but rather always being this godly after a while is just boring imho

Deleted
    Just beacuse we're the best doesn't mean lesser threats are beneath us. Wod and Mop are lesser threats then Deathwing. If the next xpack has us fighting Kobolds trying to sink Stormwind that is a genuine threat and the Allaince would send their best (us) even if it a lesser threat then the previous threat. Healthpool and level are not lore. Molten Core Ragnoros could destroy the common demons we face even in Legion lore wise but not gameplay wise.

But everyone being a nobody means something? Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic View Post
    I had an idea on how us the character could possibly be reset in terms of our in game prestige.

We started out as lowly adventurers and as expansions have progressed we have been promoted up through the ranks to commander and head of our respective class halls. For some this is a justified reward as we are the ones at the forefront risking our lives and sacrificing everything to repel whatever threat confronts us.

For some of us though, the level of in game advancement has become jarring and uncomfortable. We feel less as an adventurer now from an RPG standpoint.

I had thought of a possible way where this could be reversed.

This relies heavily on an Old god/void expansion, but the sentiment remains and could be transferred to another expansion setting with some tinkering.

Intro into the expansion calls for the player to lead forces to repel a threat with a task force. This would be a race and class specific orientated scenario. Unbeknown to the player, the situation is manipulated by the enemy forces from the start and the player’s overconfidence is taken advantage of. As the scenario continues, the situation ends in catastrophe. There is an unacceptable loss or ceding of an important tactical zone. We were destined to fail from the start.

Due to this uncharacteristic headstrong attitude of over confidence and arrogance, we have been manipulated to fail. Our respective RACE and CLASS leaders chastise and ostracise the player essentially demoting us and sending us back out in to the world as grunts. Due to the manipulation, we try to earn our way back into our faction’s good graces whilst exposing the manipulation of the encounter.

It is then agreed upon that the champions are an easy target due to our experiences and for that; we should allow others to collectively share our burdens whilst allowing the player to earn some respite from our duties.

Then this could help all races create new characters for each class and help promote new characters whilst returning us back in to veteran adventurers.
    It's an interesting idea, but you didn't take it far enough.

Instead of being busted down to private in our own military forces, we get converted to the side of evil/madness and have to work our way up through the ranks of being the badguys.

I don't know about anyone else, but quite frankly I'm sick of playing to the fiddle of the "goodguys" who seem to mary-sue their way through things. Screw this continued nonsense of Horde vs Alliance that doesn't even apply anymore. Lets go full polarized Good vs Evil.

Deleted
    For me it's more about feeling like a cog in the machine, which the game does embrace at times even to this day (the table on the broken shore) and then it switches to incredible individual prominence.

There's not quite a distinction between it either, everyone has the pinnacle position thrust upon them, even if its a character that has only picked flowers and mined ore from start to finish.

That is ultimately a limitation of the game, but I guess it'd be the equivalent of everyone being a 5 star general. If the entire army is 5 star generals, including that guy who only signed up last week, its not quite the right vibe.

The easiest thing I'd envisage resolving it would be a rather meaningless rep system that only had rep rewards coming from difficult, time relevant achievements and the rep name changing over time.

Its not that its a fetish, its piss poor story telling.

We took down the Lich King as "part of a army" ..everyone a nameless face...everyone unique.

Now we are all playing the same hero. Every warrior is the class champion, the hero of the alliance wielder of XXX.

It gets to the root of the issue with current day wow. It is no longer a mmo, its a "instance" video game. Guilds always died and people get leave...but once upon a time you knew which guilds died...who left what guild.

Now with all the LFG/LFR/CRZ/SHARDING on top of the lame character story every one is truly a nobody.

The story should of never evolved past us helping NPCs as a group of nameless red shirts.