7+ Year Old Account

Biohackers encoded malware in a strand of DNA

When biologists synthesize DNA, they take pains not to create or spread a dangerous stretch of genetic code that could be used to create a toxin or, worse, an infectious disease. But one group of bio-hackers has demonstrated how DNA can carry a less expected threat—one designed to infect not humans or animals but computers.

In new research they plan to present at the USENIX Security conference on Thursday, a group of researchers from the University of Washington has shown for the first time that it’s possible to encode malicious software into physical strands of DNA, so that when a gene sequencer analyzes it the resulting data becomes a program that corrupts gene-sequencing software and takes control of the underlying computer. While that attack is far from practical for any real spy or criminal, it's one the researchers argue could become more likely over time, as DNA sequencing becomes more commonplace, powerful, and performed by third-party services on sensitive computer systems. And, perhaps more to the point for the cybersecurity community, it also represents an impressive, sci-fi feat of sheer hacker ingenuity.

“We know that if an adversary has control over the data a computer is processing, it can potentially take over that computer,” says Tadayoshi Kohno, the University of Washington computer science professor who led the project, comparing the technique to traditional hacker attacks that package malicious code in web pages or an email attachment. “That means when you’re looking at the security of computational biology systems, you’re not only thinking about the network connectivity and the USB drive and the user at the keyboard but also the information stored in the DNA they’re sequencing. It’s about considering a different class of threat.

For now, that threat remains more of a plot point in a Michael Crichton novel than one that should concern computational biologists. But as genetic sequencing is increasingly handled by centralized services—often run by university labs that own the expensive gene sequencing equipment—that DNA-borne malware trick becomes ever so slightly more realistic. Especially given that the DNA samples come from outside sources, which may be difficult to properly vet.

If hackers did pull off the trick, the researchers say they could potentially gain access to valuable intellectual property, or possibly taint genetic analysis like criminal DNA testing. Companies could even potentially place malicious code in the DNA of genetically modified products, as a way to protect trade secrets, the researchers suggest. "T
    here are a lot of interesting—or threatening may be a better word—applications of this coming in the future," says Peter Ney, a researcher on the project.
    https://www.wired.com/story/malware-dna-hack

Deleted
    Hum yeah it's just information so they could just aswell have encoded fifty shades of grey or Trump tweets it's not like than can actually use it to do anything

So basically, any children I'd end up making will come bundled with PC Optimizer Pro?

Makes sense. DNA is just a form a data storage.

And where you can store data, you can store code.

Bullshit. Just bullshit. Reading genes will never allow you to take over a computer and reprogram it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    Bullshit. Just bullshit. Reading genes will never allow you to take over a computer and reprogram it.
    I know right

Reading information stored in magnetic particles is so idiotic too you will never infect computers with that its bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    Why not? It all depends on the firmware of the device that is doing the reading.

Reading data from DNA is not different from reading data off from a hard disk. The storage medium is juts little different.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Why not? It all depends on the firmware of the device that is doing the reading.

Reading data from DNA is not different from reading data off from a hard disk. The storage medium is juts little different.
    Are you though? You compile the sequence, look for start and stop codons, make a 3D image of a protein, but at what point does the program take that information and translate amino acid equivalents into a programming language and rewrite the software? Was the software made by night school graduates of DeVry? That seems like a software issue more than a 1337 BiO-HaCkEr taking over. They just want to sound cool, get on a TED talk, and parrot maybes could bes and might bes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post

Because this is real life not a fucking SYFY that's fucking why, sweet Jeesuz!
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Put your kids behind firewalls

I would write the word "PENIS" in the human DNA so that it would propagate to future generations.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

heh, we're fuckin' doomed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I would write the word "PENIS" in the human DNA so that it would propagate to future generations.
    First one out would be a female with female genitals that identifies as a male, but is attracted to those with vagina.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    Hereby I lay claim to the human genome by the power of the Finnish Shitposting Forces!

We shall inscribe it with the following message...

Greetinks trabeler D

While concerning it's also equally fascinating that we have such delicate control over that stuff that we can do that. I wonder what sort of data we'll eventually write into the human genome now that we're the ones holding the pencil?

Probably that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Ya, I don't get why a DNA analyzer would even accept the data it reads as input for commands...

Then again, what do I know...