Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwarth View Post
    Just like being a nobody.
    No.
    Being a nobody allows for more freedom in writing, as it was in Icecrown. For more immersion, if you will.

The commander led the Horde or the Alliance against the Iron Horde in Draenor, ultimately defeating Gul'dan.
    The champion, the hero led the united armies of Suramar and the joint venture of all the elves against Nighthold, ultimately striking down Elisande and Gul'dan.
    The champion, the hero, the supreme commander led the armies of Legionfall into the Tomb of Sargeras, while side by side with Illidan and Khadgar decided to follow fate's hand and get into the portal to face Kil'jaeden.

But who is the commander in the narrative?
    Me? You? Datboi Jenkins the Dwarf Paladin?
    We hear our character being referred as champion, grandmaster, battlelord, highlord, you name it we get it, but there's plenty around holding what we have, what gives us the right to our title of "the best".
    And this spoils the narrative.

I understand some people like being the hero, and I understand that given all that's been accomplished during the years it makes no sense for us to still be nobodies. But not being the single most important being on Azeroth would help, because we simply cannot be due to how the games' mechanics are made.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't WoW enough like a job already without having to get a dressing down for something that isn't your fault?

10+ Year Old Account
    It just feels as if the immersion is breaking where I enter the class hall as the greatest warrior to rise through the ranks and wield such a coveted artefact.

I as a player have superseded the established lore characters.

How do we come back from that?

How does every max level player of each race and class deal with that? We now possess the artefacts of lore! We are now the pinnacle of our classes!

Quote Originally Posted by iFool View Post
    No.
    Being a nobody allows for more freedom in writing, as it was in Icecrown. For more immersion, if you will.

The commander led the Horde or the Alliance against the Iron Horde in Draenor, ultimately defeating Gul'dan.
    The champion, the hero led the united armies of Suramar and the joint venture of all the elves against Nighthold, ultimately striking down Elisande and Gul'dan.
    The champion, the hero, the supreme commander led the armies of Legionfall into the Tomb of Sargeras, while side by side with Illidan and Khadgar decided to follow fate's hand and get into the portal to face Kil'jaeden.

But who is the commander in the narrative?
    Me? You? Datboi Jenkins the Dwarf Paladin?
    We hear our character being referred as champion, grandmaster, battlelord, highlord, you name it we get it, but there's plenty around holding what we have, what gives us the right to our title of "the best".
    And this spoils the narrative.

I understand some people like being the hero, and I understand that given all that's been accomplished during the years it makes no sense for us to still be nobodies. But not being the single most important being on Azeroth would help, because we simply cannot be due to how the games' mechanics are made.
    If it wasn't for AP Tokens or mid-sized sums of gold- how heroic are our characters actually? I'm not the greatest paladin to ever roam Azeroth, I'm just some drunk idiot with Ashbringer that may or may not save you depending on what you're willing to pay me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercane View Post
    If it wasn't for AP Tokens or mid-sized sums of gold- how heroic are our characters actually? I'm not the greatest paladin to ever roam Azeroth, I'm just some drunk idiot with Ashbringer that may or may not save you depending on what you're willing to pay me.
    Lore wise you are the leader of the silver hand...like every other pally in the game. A better story would of been helping/assisting the NPC who became the leader (chance to introduce new NPCS). Like Yrel in WoD. Something like that.

Maybe tie it in as a whole server class working together to unlock things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allora View Post
    after jailing sargeras we will still pick up poo or be chasing kittens in some quests.
    Your point?

Maximus the great General of the Roman Empire in the movie Gladiator just wanted to be a humble farmer after the war was over. I'm sure that would include helping his neighboring farmers and doing "lowly pick up poo" tasks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Domoda View Post
    I agree with this and would love to see it happen. Another option would be a cataclysmic magical effect that greatly reduced everyones power, then you could do a stat squish that's motivated ingame even too.

I hate the hero fetish in-game. HERO HERO HERO SPECIAL SPECIAL SPECIAL *vomits*.

I miss the days when everyone was a scrub and it felt good grouping up to kill things because you knew your character wasn't sh*t in the grand scheme of things.

I really don't know who the HERO/LEADER/BESTMOSTSPECIALPLAYEREVEROMG design appeals to, but not me that's for sure.

THIS!

There's very little challenge and depth to a mmo where you're practically the leader of your faction/unbeatable. Giant numbers aren't appealing, 1 shotting everything in the open world is lame, flying past everything with ease cheapens the entire experience. In vanilla even when you were raid geared you still needed groups for certain quests/areas. I miss that.
    Classes/Specs: Retribution Paladin, Outlaw Rogue, Frost Mage, Destruction Warlock.

Vanilla veteran of both factions since '04. Former high end player, now casually playing simply to keep up with the lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we're way too far passed the point of being "nobodies" to ever go back, thanks largely in part to spectacle creep. When you're powerful enough to defeat our very creators, there's really no turning back.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it is safe to say that due to so much focus on the player has stifled the ability to introduce new compelling characters!

Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    What exactly is with the fetish with being a nobody?
    It makes no sense.

In 7.3 I'm going to jailing an actual god, like a for reals god god. I am the pinnacle of power embued into a mortal at this point. But mark my words during the next big threat some lowly villager is going to make me kill some bears because they are unruly and might damage their precious garden.

Deleted
    WoW is not an MMO story-wise, you can't pick your alliances, enemies and special tactics that would define your character like in Eve for example. It would be awesome if you could though.

10+ Year Old Account
    The issue is and pardon my wording is that: we are railroaded in such an extent that have been forced to be the epitome of our race/faction and class.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercane View Post
    I'm not the greatest paladin to ever roam Azeroth, I'm just some drunk idiot with Ashbringer that may or may not save you depending on what you're willing to pay me.
    Well, as it's been pointed out to you, you're a drunk idiot who's the greatest Paladin alive, under whose name the Silver Hand has reunited, making you the leader of one of the most inspiring and revered factions to ever fight for Azeroth.
    And if we go by the things we know but are not present in the game itself, you holding the Ashbringer makes you THE Ashbringer, another figure of legends long past, another beacon of hope.
    But then again just by strolling under Light's Hope you can see plenty of Ashbringers sheathed on other Paladin's backs.

It's not how you perceive yourself. It's how the game portrays you.

And this leads me to:
    Quote Originally Posted by Directionalk9 View Post
    It makes no sense.

In 7.3 I'm going to jailing an actual god, like a for reals god god. I am the pinnacle of power embued into a mortal at this point. But mark my words during the next big threat some lowly villager is going to make me kill some bears because they are unruly and might damage their precious garden.
    Luckily it's not us and I'm not completely privy of what actually happens during the Antorus curtain call, but this is another problem.
    Us being nobodies allow for a little more reasoning in what the next tasks will be.

I mean, I had to suspend my disbelief a lot for a bunch of naga wizards to hold my Warrior with a simple ice prison spell, given that character fought almost anything this game can throw, including motherfucking wallhackers in Ruins of Lordaeron and the absolute travesty that was the old Orgrimmar arena.
    And some fish caught me with Freezing Trap 3.0?
    Please.

Imagine in the next expansion when Wirt the Peg Legged Boy tries and tricks me into a boobytrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Banard View Post
    Lore wise you are the leader of the silver hand...like every other pally in the game. A better story would of been helping/assisting the NPC who became the leader (chance to introduce new NPCS). Like Yrel in WoD. Something like that.

Maybe tie it in as a whole server class working together to unlock things.
    I'm far more in favor of assisting an array of NPCs accomplish a task than I am at being the champion of my order.

Hell, could you imagine being your character's herald, and announcing your titles formally to another champion of similar status? He'd be rattling off shit for at least 10 minutes at this point.

I kind of like the current character importance more than when it seemed like we were dispensable nobodies there to tire out Illidan so that Maiev could steal our kill. Why were we even there if the faction leaders can just beat the bad guys? It makes more sense to me being one of the 25 best fighters that actually take on bad guys in a meaningful way. I also don't consider us to be better than faction leaders, just more equal than before and they can no longer take on the bad guys themselves.

If you did want to do a reset, the best way would be to do it RTS style. Fast forward 20 years into the future when no one remembers who we are or what we did. Then you have to prove yourself again. The real problem for me is that there are no credible bad guys greater than Sargeras. I've been playing since WC1 and the biggest bad guy has always been Sargeras. I don't see myself caring about other threats after he is gone(unless some other titan goes bad). I would fight Azshara because I think she has an interesting character but that is about it. Once all the RTS bad guys are gone, I'll probably be done with this game.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    FFS, does everything has to be black or white? We should be either supreme heroes or total turd-gathering, squirrel-hunting, bear-ass-collecting nobodies? There's a whole universe of middle in between and ANY MMORPG character should belong in that area. That character power creep is annoying. We should always aspire as game characters to advance and WoW has left little room for that ahead, unless a reset to total nobodies. so we can climb back up again. Slower this time.
    /spit@Blizzard

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is the thing with the "if everybody is supreme then nobody is". No other players exist, we arnt adventurers anymore, there are no other paladin leaders. In lore (as much as the player can be) we are the only ones who are the story heroes

I'm alright with it to some extent, but I think Legion's gone overboard with it, to the point where it actually causes problems with the narrative. For example, when you meet Sylvanas/Genn in Stormheim, what is honestly stopping you from killing them right then and there? There's the obvious answer "They're stronger than you, they'd kick your ass" and that is certainly true of a random soldier or even a low tier hero, but when you've got all these other NPCs telling you you're the greatest [class] in the world, and you've got this super powerful magical artifact weapon, is that really true anymore? Or in Azsuna when you get kidnapped by those two Naga, are we honestly supposed to believe they're really a threat to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    FFS, does everything has to be black or white? We should be either supreme heroes or total turd-gathering, squirrel-hunting, bear-ass-collecting nobodies? There's a whole universe of middle in between and ANY MMORPG character should belong in that area. That character power creep is annoying. We should always aspire as game characters to advance and WoW has left little room for that ahead, unless a reset to total nobodies. so we can climb back up again. Slower this time.
    At some point there won't be any advancement. We've been constantly advancing since the very beginning, and I don't personally see any large jumps in said advancement. Why wouldn't we ascend to the levels we have? How many times can you take part in world destroying events and NOT get more recognition? We aided in taking down an Elemental Lord, the children of Deathwing, a fucking Old God and Kel'Thuzad himself. And that's just the first damn expansion. You add in Illidan and his cohorts along with pushing Kil'Jaeden back in BC, helping to take down the Blue dragon aspect, another Old God and finally the Lich King. How would you not get some serious promotion and recognition? If we were to still be looked down upon as some random adventurers after all that, it's even worse writing than constantly advancing through the ranks.

Next step will be Warchief or Hight king! Command our faction led the masses...