Thread: Asian

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karadros View Post
    Are Russians Asian?
    The most populated parts of Russia is to the west of the Urals.

They've a pretty strong case for arguing that they're Europeans geographically, and ethnically they're Slavs rather than turkish. They've got a pretty strong case going for them arguing that Russia is European.

10+ Year Old Account
    You really want to have an argument about semantics?

Americans: "Brits talk funny."

Brits: "Americans talk funny."

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Should the rest of the world also drive on the left side of the road? Or call chips crisps and fries chips?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    In Germany, if you say "Asiate" (=Asian), very close to 100% of all people will have the predominant phenotype you find for example in China, Japan and Korea - the sino-mongolian type with almond eyes. If it's the kind you find in for example India or Pakistan, we mostly refer to those by their country of origin. Even if you used South Asian, you'd risk people first thinking of the first kind. Your research was quite crappy.

Russia, the country/region, and that is what we're talking about here, has quite a large portion of people with very clear mongolian features, as they have a rather large border with the very country that gives that appearance it's name, and the fact that the Mongols did quite a bit of conquering west-wards in the past. A very similar looking phenotype is also mixing in from the far nothern regions of Russia. The predominantly caucasian type is mostly found in the denser populated south and west, but in the east and north you'll find many that resemble Chiniese people quite well.
    So yeah, I'm gonna call a distinctly eastern looking Russian Asian any day.

What you're saying is different countries have different meanings for the word "Asian"?

That's what we are trying to tell Adam.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karadros View Post
    Are Russians Asian?
    There are Asian-Russians. They live in the east.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    What you're saying is different countries have different meanings for the word "Asian"?

That's what we are trying to tell Adam.
    Eh? I know other countries have different meanings - I said this in my OP

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I re-read your OP. Your beef is that people from the US, mainly, don't know that you are talking about Middle Eastern types when you say Asian?

I don't think they do this on purpose it's just the word means something different here.

Well they might be doing it to you on purpose because they found out it was your soft spot.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    So what's the point of this thread then? o_O

If you're afraid of being misunderstood, elaborate on stuff you're posting or words you're using, e.g., Asian (incl. Indians, Pakistanis, etc), or something like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I re-read your OP. Your beef is that people from the US, mainly, don't know that you are talking about Middle Eastern types when you say Asian?

I don't think they do this on purpose it's just the word means something different here.
    Maybe i'm weird, but when someone says "This Asian person" I ask if they mean North or South Asian.

But then again, when someone says "In America" I ask if they mean North or South, and more specifically if they are talking about the U.S.

But that's just me.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Should the rest of the world also drive on the left side of the road? Or call chips crisps and fries chips?
    Yes, of course.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    What the hell?
    Kubera - you don't read it weekly?

I'm not sure what the criticism here is.

Have there been many specific discussions where people have argued against the fact that in the UK "Asian" refers to South Asian people and not East Asians? If so I understand the criticism. They are wrong, you are correct.

Or is it that you insist on using Asian on an international forum when you refer to South Asian people and is annoyed that people assume, rightly so, you are talking about East Asian people? This is not the UK, so that's just you being stubborn about this issue. Let it go. You are wrong, they are correct.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    So what's the point of this thread then? o_O

If you're afraid of being misunderstood, elaborate on stuff you're posting or words you're using, e.g., Asian (incl. Indians, Pakistanis, etc), or something like that.
    The point is people knowing yet being obtuse to troll topics about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I notice white people talk a hell of a lot more about Asians than any Asains do or anybody else. That's weird.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    I'm not sure what the criticism here is.

Have there been many specific discussions where people have argued against the fact that in the UK "Asian" refers to South Asian people and not East Asians? If so I understand the criticism. They are wrong, you are correct.
    This ^ People reading articles from the UK and claiming Asian is being disingenuous

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know that we need an entire thread just to correct some niche misunderstanding, but we don't allow discussion of race here anyway.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |