Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Trump threatens McConnell

President Trump on Thursday appeared to threaten Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), suggesting the senator might consider stepping down if he can’t pass Trump’s legislative agenda.

If McConnell cannot repeal and replace ObamaCare, pass an overhaul of the tax code and approve a new infrastructure package, Trump said, “you can ask me the question” if the Kentucky Republican should remain Senate leader.

“If he doesn’t get repeal and replace done, and if he doesn’t get taxes done — meaning cuts and reform, and if he doesn’t get a very easy one to get done — infrastructure — if he doesn’t get them done, then you can ask me that question,” the president told reporters at his New Jersey golf club.

Asked to clarify his comments, Trump said, “Ask me that question. Let’s hope he gets it done.”

The president is escalating his war of words with McConnell, a dangerous gambit with a top Republican ahead of a critical fall legislative session.

Trump fired back at the Senate Republican leader over his claims that the president had “excessive expectations” about advancing his agenda through Congress.

The White House acknowledged earlier Thursday the president’s days-long Twitter tirade against McConnell is a result of his “frustration” with the top senator over the lack of progress on his agenda.

McConnell has long been a target of conservatives’ ire, which has ramped up in the aftermath of the Senate’s failure to repeal former President Barack Obama’s signature healthcare law.

They were particularly angered after the Kentucky Republican pointed a finger at Trump, criticizing him for setting “artificial deadlines” in the healthcare push.

“Now our new president has of course not been in this line of work before. And I think had excessive expectations about how quickly things happen in the democratic process,” the Senate leader said during a speech in Kentucky.

After playing those comments on air, conservative radio host Mark Levin called the Kentucky Republican a “failure” and a “dummy.”

“It’s not a matter of setting early timelines. ... You’re the Republican leader, you have 52, you couldn’t get 51. That’s your failure as the so-called leader of the Republicans in the Senate,” he said.

Fox News host Sean Hannity also piled on, calling McConnell “weak” and “spineless” and urging the 75-year-old senator to retire.

McConnell has also been targeted by two right-wing candidates in the Alabama Republican Senate primary: Roy Moore and Rep. Mo Brooks.
    That's three times since 7AM this morning alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as I love Trump digging his own grave by going against the GOP I also love the idea of that slimy turtle McConnell getting the fuck out of politics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    As much as I love Trump digging his own grave by going against the GOP I also love the idea of that slimy turtle McConnell getting the fuck out of politics
    Actually on that thought, can anyone -- Dem, Rep, Indy, international, ANYONE -- think of a current GOP Senator that you believe could have pushed TrumpCare to 51 votes? Could anyone have made this pass? I'm for putting the blame where it belongs, but I'm not convinced anyone else could have made Trump's better coverage for more people for less money magically appear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Actually on that thought, can anyone -- Dem, Rep, Indy, international, ANYONE -- think of a current GOP Senator that you believe could have pushed TrumpCare to 51 votes? Could anyone have made this pass? I'm for putting the blame where it belongs, but I'm not convinced anyone else could have made Trump's better coverage for more people for less money magically appear.
    Not that I can think of. McConnell is the perfect man if you want to pass terrible legislation in a sleezy way and even he failed. Trump and anyone else trying to push him out would only be shooting themselves in the foot and its for that reason that I completely support their efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Well, if one of the 3 (R) who voted against it was heading it, then probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Well, if one of the 3 (R) who voted against it was heading it, then probably.
    That would just make the other more hardcore tea party jerk offs want to drop it and even the three that voted against aren't favorites to the Democrats but maybe at least they'd give them a seat at the table /shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jugzilla View Post
    The left is outnumbered in this country.
    How on earth can you make this statement with a straight face when Hillary won 3 million more votes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    How on earth can you make this statement with a straight face when Hillary won 3 million more votes?
    Well.. he's kinda right since the US "left" is still right of center.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmitro View Post
    Gonna be 45+% within a year, mark my words.
    ....is that something to be proud of? "Hey guys, more people like me, but a majority still hate me, but hey, it's better than nearly everyone hating me right? Right?!?"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jugzilla View Post
    Senate? Congress?
    The GOP lost seats in both the house and senate in 2016.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Well.. he's kinda right since the US "left" is still right of center.
    Except conservatives argue that using a global political scale to US politics is stupid and wrong. So by his own definition he's wrong. (but I get the point you are making, and sure. Globally there are more right wingers than left wingers in the US. But by the US political scale there are far more leftists than rightists. They are just concentrated in urban areas thus have weaker federal reach because of the EC and state systems).

Through the Internet's social media the neo-nazis, white supremacists, alt-rightists, authoritarian nationalists, right-wing populists and so forth got an outlet to circle jerk with each other and have their garbage pile of an ideology rise up through the ashes of the 20th century and reward them with their beloved God-Emperor The Donald.

But now those same technologies of liberty lays bare the deceit, disorder and decay of such a regime.

The free flow of information* giveth, and the free flow of information taketh away.

* and disinformation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Because 50% of republicans actually think Trump won the popular vote.
    Well given that Trump thinks he won New Hampshire they are just following dear leader in their ignorance.

I hate just about everything leading up to and resulting from the 2016 election -- and a lot of it has nothing to do with Trump but rather the absurdity of how far people have abandoned facts and logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wvvtayy View Post
    http://politicaldig.com/quinipac-pol...mp-and-repubs/

His core voter base, white males with no college education, has fallen sharply. 66% voted for him, in June he had a 56% approval rating among this group, and finally this week the same group gives him a 43% approval rating.

His Support from Republicans as a whole has fallen from 84% in June to 76% this week. Still high, but finally starting to fall.
    His weakest support comes from the least informed, which was the non college educated base. I mean, anyone who was paying attention knew Trump's policy as President would just be the same as the current Republican party despite Trump's economic populism rhetoric on the campaign trail. There's polls that show this same group cares little about his actual policies and more about the slogans like "America First". Clinton wasn't very inspiring to these people.

The problem for democrats these aren't the voters who vote in the midterms anyways. The Republican base of 70 year old retirees who want lowers taxes and more benefits for THEM ONLY are by far the biggest midterm voting block.

Democrats could also use some fresh faces, which some grassroots organizations are trying to get. They also need to define their own message and not like right-wing media define them. There is so much for Democrats to work with heading into 2020 and even 2018 if they would just be petty and politicize more issues like the right would. China is expected to surpass the US as the world's largest economy in 2018, if this happens BLAME TRUMP. We could've had TPP securing America as a world leader in the global economy, but nope, Trump would rather have a stagnating protectionist style economy (Fuck off Bernie Bros. and TPP is bad). 100 million Americans are expected to be out of the workforce within Trump's term, if this happens BLAME TRUMP. Right-wing media took 4 dead Americans in Benghazi and had their base losing their fucking minds over a non-story. If democrats can't do something similar they deserve the mediocre results they get from elections.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a fairly simple thing at play here. The President is unlikely to be be gaining support from anywhere as divisive as he is. That same thing will gradually cause his base to erode as he lurches back and forth between positions, engages in more dishonesty and hypocrisy and generally stays as overexposed as he is.

People will get tired of this. It won't be all at once but Trump-fatigue will be a thing over the long run and drive his numbers (and the Republican Party as well) down.

It's inevitable. It's probably unstoppable although an actual war might change things. It also might make things worse if the President's carelessness is seen to be a contributing cause. The U.S., outside of D.C. and its think tanks and pundits, is tired of being in wars all the time; tired of seeing its sons and daughters returning to less and less care if they are injured and disabled. And even his supporters will learn that he has no positions, has no theory of what he's doing and that he has surrounded himself with people just like himself. Bannon, Gorka, Conway, all of them are no better. And the better people will not work in this administration and those that are left will leave.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2017-08-10 at 08:40 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted

How is Bobby Three Sticks approval rating ?

Through the friggin' roof.

WHAT IS THIS

Trump Escalates Attacks on McConnell With Suggestion His Job Is at Risk
    http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/cong...b-risk-n791546
    Last edited by mmoc92b33f154f; 2017-08-10 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slinkypoe View Post
    WHAT IS THIS

Trump Escalates Attacks on McConnell With Suggestion His Job Is at Risk
    http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/cong...b-risk-n791546
    Favorite part is this:
    For instance, McConnell's team had thought that Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, who was one of the three to vote against the final version of health care, known as "skinny repeal," was going to come around to support the bill. But after Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke reportedly threatened to withhold resources from Alaska, Murkowski’s opposition hardened.
    The notion that Trump might have sunk the bill himself. Brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Favorite part is this:

Trump is his own worst enemy has been said a million times, but to see this self-destructive force in action and the man from whom all this comes to be completely unaware of his idiocy, is quite a sight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiklis View Post
    As he doesn't have enough rested soldiers right now, reupping the draft would do it
    Why do we need soldiers when we can just plaster the North Koreans with atomic hellfire?

he asked sarcastically
    Putin khuliyo

Favorite part is this:

I'm more impressed by this:
    When asked if McConnell should step down from his leadership position, Trump told responded: "If he doesn’t get repeal and replace done and if he doesn’t get taxes done, meaning cuts and reform, and if he doesn’t get a very easy one to get done, infrastructure, if he doesn’t get them done, then you can ask me that question."

"Let's hope he gets it done," Trump added.
    See that? That's the president threatening the job of someone he doesn't have the authority to terminate. Like, at all. In any way, shape, or form. Mitch McConnell does not answer to the president, and Trump is going to learn that the hard way.

I'm waiting for the Tweetstorm when Trump discovers he can't fire Senators...

The best part is that it doesn't even have to be true, she could've wanted to vote against it for whatever reason, but selling an "f you" to a guy who threatened you is the easiest thing possible. Trump is an absolute lightweight in this game.