Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Eh, I think they're a bit highly overrated. I'll give them Portal 1 and L4D1 and Dota. I think CSGO, Portal 2/L4D2, and Half Life are exaggerated very much with how they are praised.
    I praise CSGO and DOTA because of how they handle the models. Pure cosmetics and nothing pay to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I praise CSGO and DOTA because of how they handle the models. Pure cosmetics and nothing pay to win.
    Honestly, that were the only model they could've done, both original Dota and 1.6 were free, any monetization model other than lootboxes would leave them both dead on arrival (and it was a close call for CSGO). Also, Dota 2 beta was invaluable for Valve as Steam advertisement.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    It is only natural. Blizzard stole Team Fortress 2, and Valve wanted revenge.
    OW has more in common with Farmville or Candy Crush than TF2.

Quote Originally Posted by cudomix View Post
    Honestly, that were the only model they could've done, both original Dota and 1.6 were free, any monetization model other than lootboxes would leave them both dead on arrival (and it was a close call for CSGO). Also, Dota 2 beta was invaluable for Valve as Steam advertisement.
    I wouldn't have said it was the only model they could have gone for. While the original DOTA mods were indeed free, you would still have to buy a copy of Warcraft 3 to play them. If DOTA 2 was priced around the same as a new copy of WC3 then maybe they could have gotten away with a small upfront cost and microtransacitons on top. It would come with the promise of future value when they added new content to the game, so it's not something that would scare away early adopters, and if updates to DOTA 1 were stopped, then you'd see veteran players gradually make the move.

I think the main driving factor for DOTA 2's model was League of Legends being free to play. It's much harder to ask for a fee when your biggest competetors are giving away their game for free while also offering a quality service with it. That's something not even Valve can really hope to compete with .

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    OW has more in common with Farmville or Candy Crush than TF2.
    And from what little we've found out about Artifact, it'll have more in common with something like Duelyst or Shardbound than it will Hearthstone. Though I think Nerf Now!'s comic on it summed it up best. We really have no information to work with on it other than the tidbit about it having three lanes.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Valve is no longer a gaming company, all those fuckers are doing now is Steam shit. I dunno how the company is run but if it's got a board of directors, then it's about damn time they fire Gabe's fat ass and put a useful person in charge.

I mean come on, why are companies like Valve and Nintendo not using the insanely popular IPs they currently have to their advantage? The gaming industry is so fucking stale right now and it's about time we get some insane games from the well established IPs

Quote Originally Posted by Akande Ogundimu View Post
    Valve is no longer a gaming company, all those fuckers are doing now is Steam shit. I dunno how the company is run but if it's got a board of directors, then it's about damn time they fire Gabe's fat ass and put a useful person in charge.

I mean come on, why are companies like Valve and Nintendo not using the insanely popular IPs they currently have to their advantage? The gaming industry is so fucking stale right now and it's about time we get some insane games from the well established IPs
    I think the execs are just fine with Gabe since he's making them money hand over fist with Steam...
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account

They're a private company, so no such thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    They're a private company, so no such thing.
    That sucks tbh, did he ever give a statement as to why they never did a third L4D game or Half Life to take two popular titles?

Is it just because CS and Steam are doing so well?

That sucks tbh, did he ever give a statement as to why they never did a third L4D game or Half Life to take two popular titles?

Is it just because CS and Steam are doing so well?
    It's like a little of both worlds. They're lazy as shit but moneys from multiplayer.