Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Smoking is disgusting. I hate walking around somewhere and holding my breathing so I don't inhale the crap. There is a group of dudes from the middle east that live directly below my apartment. They basically smoke all day so I haven't opened the window on that side of my apartment since the second day I moved in.

Candy bars are different because they don't affect the people around you.

Quote Originally Posted by Annamarine View Post
    I hate cigarettes I hate everything about them. They smell there is absolutely zero redeeming value to them what so ever. The average smoker is completely oblivious to how totally and completely disgusting cigarettes are. I pray every day these things get banned and sent to the 9th level of hell where they belong. So no I wish they cost $99 a pack and only place you could smoke them is your own private back yard where no other human being or living entity has to partake in this disgusting habit
    I feel how you feel about cigarettes about your ability to share your opinions with others. You should be confined to just your room to speak your mind.

Signed,
    A former smoker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    You can't even, but not because of "holes", but because those are not valid comparisons. Here's some better ones:

- You don't have a right to bitch about someone on food stamps buying a candy bar.
    - You don't have a right to bitch at iPhone users because them buying them makes them expensive.

You don't have the right to bitch at people who live their lives how they want, just because you contribute to the same resource pool. That's how those pools work; Some use very little, some use a lot. If that weren't the case, whoever operates the pool would either go broke or being rolling in money. Once your money is out of your hands, it's no longer your money and that's where it stops being your business.
    The above statement is correct, however you don't understand what your previous statement actually means:

Taking part in any product/service market does not give you any say about the effects of others using it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomservo View Post
    Ok. Now do candy bars.
    Candy bars do not cause direct physical harm to everyone that happens to be near you at time of consumption.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McTroll View Post
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/08/...es-pharmacies/

I can't understand why THIS is a priority to them. How is it any of their business what I do with my body?
    Smoke tends to go other places. Like how my neighbour smokes on the balcony and it gets into my place. That's fucking rude and I've already had cancer once in my life and would like to avoid having it a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciarán View Post
    Candy bars do not cause direct physical harm to everyone that happens to be near you at time of consumption.
    Those few seconds you breath in second hand smoke outdoors are the few seconds that will give you the cancer.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    The above statement is correct, however you don't understand what your previous statement actually means:
    Yes, I do. I typed it. Health care is a free market product. That someone may use it more is none of your business. You can bitch to the health care industry about the supposed increase in prices due to usage, but you don't have the right to bitch at the people using it. Nor does it make it a valid argument as for why someone shouldn't live their lives how they want. Individual freedom >.

10+ Year Old Account

I can't understand why THIS is a priority to them. How is it any of their business what I do with my body?
    If you smoke anywhere near other people, it's not just YOUR body.

Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    If you smoke anywhere near other people, it's not just YOUR body.
    Then move away from them

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Yes, I do. I typed it. Health care is a free market product. That someone may use it more is none of your business. You can bitch to the health care industry about the supposed increase in prices due to usage, but you don't have the right to bitch at the people using it. Nor does it make it a valid argument as for why someone shouldn't live their lives how they want. Individual freedom >.
    I guess this is a pretty stupid argument because health care is not a free market product where I live, which invalidates everything you've said. But then we're comparing apples and oranges.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    I guess this is a pretty stupid argument because health care is not a free market product where I live, which invalidates everything you've said. But then we're comparing apples and oranges.
    Private sector = free market. So unless the government owns all health care facilities, even local dentist/GP offices, and is the direct employer of all medical personnel, it is, in fact, private sector, thus free market. But that's a semantic debate for another topic.

And no, it doesn't invalid anything. Even if what I mentioned above were true, you're still contributing to a resource pool. Who operates the pool is irrelevant. Once you contribute to the pool, that money is no longer yours and you have no say in how others use the benefits that pool provides. Period.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2017-08-10 at 11:35 PM.

smokers foul the air we all have to breathe and seem comfortable throwing disgusting filters all over the place. So, fuck'em. Higher the consumption tax the better

and I actually like smoking! fuck cigarettes though

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomservo View Post
    Those few seconds you breath in second hand smoke outdoors are the few seconds that will give you the cancer.
    You do realize it's not that simple I hope. Every single exposure, as well as several other factors, adds to your chance of developing cancer. It might be those few seconds that push the cumulated DNA damage past the critical point or that point is reached many years later or not at all.

I don't care if choose short term gain (the pleasure of smoking) over long term loss of health the issue comes from the (potential) damage you do to others who didn't sign up for it (and don't have the short term benefit).

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    The issue I have, is if they are known to have 0 health benefits, can and will more than likely kill you, and are even bad for people to be around. Why are they legal in the first place.

These constant price hikes are obvious deterrents, just get it over with and make the sale of cigarettes illegal.
    I doubt we will ever see tobacco products become outright illegal in the united states. Perhaps in certain cities or certain states, but the entire country is a far stretch. Too many politicians involved with the federal government also having hands in the industry is a huge problem as well.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Then move away from them
    Common courtesy would dictate that if you are about to do something unpleasant that you politely remove yourself, although admittedly it's futile to expect everyone to show basic manners, especially irritable people with a substance addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by turboether View Post
    Common courtesy would dictate that if you are about to do something unpleasant that you politely remove yourself, although admittedly it's futile to expect everyone to show basic manners, especially irritable people with a substance addiction.
    If the place doesnt have no smol
    King policy how bout you move. I would only move if its next to small children. An adult? Move or go fuck yourself

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanablossom View Post
    Do you smoke near other people?
    Do you drive a car?

Deleted
    As a smoker who is bouncing between the US and the UK, I personally welcome this change.

I feel for the most part I have kicked other, less dangerous addictions such as coffee due to the ever increasing prices (particularly in Brighton, UK), so the higher, the better!

I can also say as a smoker, I tend to stand away from people when I am smoking outside, like on the street. I know what its like when people smoke weed near me (I hate the smell, ironic I know as a smoker), so keep the legislative pain coming to us smokers!

Will make it easier for me to quit! I have gone from 20 to 10 in the past few months, but give me that final push big brother!

Aside from the fact that they're raping smokers for more money nonstop, I find it hilarious that so many people here think it's okay to denature, torture, and ultimate murder the imprisoned and addicted.

We can laugh when they do the same thing to them some day, like by taxing soda like they're doing in Mexico. Excellent. Watch everyone die, hooray!

The only real funny and sad joke is the fact that still nobody understand lowering nicotine in cigarettes will only force people to waste even more money on them to get the same fix for the addiction they cannot control, raping smokers even harder. That makes all the scientists who agreed with lowering nicotine in cigarettes complicit in crimes against humanity and they should all be painfully fucked in a manner against their will to death, the lying scientists ruined the good title of scientist.

It's funny all of the different ways they're trying to get people to stop smoking. What isn't funny is how they justify it by saying it effects other people. As if somehow the majority of things we each do in our lives don't effect others. The best solution to the entire problem would be to allow insurance carriers to decline coverage to smoking related illnesses in people who actually smoke. It would take a generation or two for the full effect to spread but I guarantee we'd see some dramatic decreases in smoking. Plus, freedom wins!