Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by McTroll View Post
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/08/...es-pharmacies/

I can't understand why THIS is a priority to them. How is it any of their business what I do with my body?
    Sin Tax, if they can't outlaw it they will make it unaffordable.

I can't understand why THIS is a priority to them. How is it any of their business what I do with my body?
    Becuase it affects other people as well. In many way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomservo View Post
    Ok. Now do candy bars.
    Candy bars don't cause the person next to me to get fat too. People need to stop with the false equivalence.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Sin Tax, if they can't outlaw it they will make it unaffordable.
    Smoking effects people around that person. Its cause a public health risk, not just a personal one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Excellent. I fully support this move. So fucking sick of breathing nothing but smoke on my way to work every day. Disgusting, inconsiderate, dangerous, immoral.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Candy bars don't cause the person next to me to get fat too. People need to stop with the false equivalence.

- - - Updated - - -

Smoking effects people around that person. Its cause a public health risk, not just a personal one.
    Which is why I favor smoking banned in public areas. Raising the sin tax on that, doesn't fix that problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Which is why I favor smoking banned in public areas. Raising the sin tax on that, doesn't fix that problem.
    Yeah that would be ideal. But idk, it's still a step in the right direction.

Deleted
    I don't mind taxes being higher, I mind it being banned due to second hand smoke issues. As someone who smokes, but doesn't drive, every time I hear a driver complain about second hand smoke, I have the violent urge to shove their head in their exhaust pipe. Then I resist the violent urge and explain how car fumes are a lot more dangerous and unhealthy than second hand smoke.

As for the smell, I think I understand. I can't stand weed, myself, but I never complained to anyone smoking it around me, since it'd be hypocritical. I don't light ciggies around people on bus stops or big crowds, and I blow my smoke away from people who don't smoke, but that's as far as I'm willing to go.

In economy it's referred to as externality. It is a consequence which is not being payed by the entity responsible for it. It can be a positive thing (such as a park that makes people happy), but usually it's negative, such as pollution causing diseases and affecting society's productivity. If you assign a money value to these consequences and make the responsible entity pay it, you are internalizing the externality. That is what environment damage compensation laws try to do.

Smoking causes damages to society which have a monetary value. When you get sick and take a spot in a hospital and stop working, you are consuming extra resources and stop generating income. If government subsidizes medical treatments, basically you are costing society a lot of money when you smoke. That's not even considering the damage you cause onto others.

So when the government raises taxes on smokes, they are trying to internalize this cost. I think it is extremely fair that if you want to smoke, you pay for ALL the costs your vice has to society, even if they are far away and most times unnoticed by the people around you.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Excellent. I fully support this move. So fucking sick of breathing nothing but smoke on my way to work every day. Disgusting, inconsiderate, dangerous, immoral.
    If you're in a major city in the United States, it's much more likely that the disgusting, unhealthy, damagingly bad air quality is a result of cars than of cigarettes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    If you're in a major city in the United States, it's much more likely that the disgusting, unhealthy, damagingly bad air quality is a result of cars than of cigarettes.
    Cars and car related goods are often heavily taxed as well, for the same reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    Cars and car related goods are often heavily taxed as well, for the same reasons.
    Cars also provide utility

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It's pretty easy to distinguish between cigarette smoke and other forms of pollution, especially when I'm walking right past half a dozen people actively smoking on my way to the subway. I would like fossil fuel pollution to be minimized too, but at least cars can be justified on the basis of the utility they provide.

Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    It wasn't a complaint, I don't care about cigarette taxes. Just a statement about the reality of particulate matter and general air quality issues. Wading around in NYC's smog but being more concerned about the occasional smoker just seems silly to me.

- - - Updated - - -

It's pretty easy to distinguish between cigarette smoke and other forms of pollution, especially when I'm walking right past half a dozen people actively smoking on my way to the subway. I would like fossil fuel pollution to be minimized too, but at least cars can be justified on the basis of the utility they provide.
    I don't think single passenger cars are actually a particularly positive utility good in NYC, but *shrug*.

Deleted
    I hope my neighbours are rich, so they can keep smoking and I can keep yelling at them.
    That's the only social contanct I have. Don't take that away from me!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Then move away from them
    Fuck no, they are the ones pushing their disgusting habit on me, they are the ones who should move (or preferably be banned from smoking altogether).

Quote Originally Posted by Annamarine View Post
    I hate cigarettes I hate everything about them. They smell there is absolutely zero redeeming value to them what so ever. The average smoker is completely oblivious to how totally and completely disgusting cigarettes are. I pray every day these things get banned and sent to the 9th level of hell where they belong. So no I wish they cost $99 a pack and only place you could smoke them is your own private back yard where no other human being or living entity has to partake in this disgusting habit
    Why do people like you worry so much about what everyone else is doing all the time? Live and let live man.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    Smoking is disgusting. I hate walking around somewhere and holding my breathing so I don't inhale the crap. There is a group of dudes from the middle east that live directly below my apartment. They basically smoke all day so I haven't opened the window on that side of my apartment since the second day I moved in.

Candy bars are different because they don't affect the people around you.
    You must be a real cool neighbor.

- - - Updated - - -

Cars also provide utilily
    And are like 10 times more likely to kill you than smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    Why do people like you worry so much about what everyone else is doing all the time? Live and let live man.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you have a problem with what I said? I don't like sleeping in MY OWN apartment and have to smell someone else's smoke, so I keep my window's closed. Plus, It is common knowledge that in the middle east, smoking is extremely common and a part of life there. I am not being "racist".

Cigarette taxes are really, from a tax revenue standpoint, one of the most successful taxes because they're generally a tax on the poor that everyone approves of. You can't argue that people need some skin in the game when it comes to income taxes but you can argue that smokers need to pay in.

Banning from pharmacies seems a little silly though. But thats what happens when you live in a big city. If you don't like idiots telling you what to do move away from the idiots.

If you smoke near other people, then it isn't just you who is being poisoned. Poison yourself all you want.

Anti smokers are total pussies. Never seen such a pathetic bunch (apart from RPers).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I would if you kept it to yourself but no you insist on inflicting your disease on everyone else. Group of people waiting by a bus smoker will stand in the middle and not give a shit. Outside patio smoker will stand just far enough away but his smoke still comes to us. That's fucken why, keep your fucken smokes to yourself in a locked room and fine do what ever but noooo smokers have to sit there and make everyone else around them suffer their shit. That's why I hate it with a complete total and utter passion