Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    If Trump was a real dictator, I highly doubt anybody would be able to legally criticize him, but nice try though.
    He's a dictator wannabe. Luckily our government structure is built so that he can't seize control. I'm glad that the founding fathers set up a government with strong separation of powers, so that power is never fully concentrated to one person. Trump is exactly the kind of person they made these checks and balances to protect us from. We can be thankful for that.

They have to feed him positive news about himself, even if it's made up. We've learned that much. And Trump lashes out at any criticism of himself.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyyrogue View Post
    “We consider the U.S. no more than a lump which we can beat to a jelly any time,” the Korean Central News Agency said, quoting Institute of International Studies researcher Kang Kum Chol.

Direct quote from Pyongyang, the people in NK are so brain washed that they actually believe they can with a war, this is not a joking matter.
    They're speaking to their people. Christ, you don't need to be a fire systems control officer nor an internet diplomat to understand basic things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    Meanwhile Trump re tweeted US Pacific Command saying B-1s are ready.
    Skroe's most recent post on the B-1 suggested they would be a poor choice for such a mission, and that the tweet is likely incorrect. Trump has also been very clear about telling the enemy what's coming is a dumb idea (I disagree, but I'm not the one who retweeted). It might not be as "happening" as you think.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Skroe's most recent post on the B-1 suggested they would be a poor choice for such a mission, and that the tweet is likely incorrect. Trump has also been very clear about telling the enemy what's coming is a dumb idea (I disagree, but I'm not the one who retweeted). It might not be as "happening" as you think.
    Perhaps and I do agree it's stupid to try and strike North Korea with just B-1s as per the NBC report. Still it's a nice way to draw attention to them I guess...while the Pentagon prepares the REAL strike ( B-2s most likely ).

Regardless both the US and North Korea have drawn their plans to strike at one another. The question is who does it first. Will Kim Jong-Un fire ICBMs towards Guam as they've said they'll do? China has stated very clearly they will NOT protect them if they do that.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    They're speaking to their people. Christ, you don't need to be a fire systems control officer nor an internet diplomat to understand basic things.
    That's exactly my point man, everyone there, including their "Supreme Leader" are brainwashed by this propaganda. I really don't understand how you don't get that, there have been plenty of dictators who have gone balls deep, when they surely should have known they were going to be annihilated, but did it anyways. These people dont think like us, they literally think theyre gods who cant lose.

- - - Updated - - -

If we do bomb missile instillation it would be with B-2s due to stealth capability. Not only that, they have a range where they can leave their base in NV, strike the targets in NK, refuel on the way back (probably near Guam or Midway) and safely arrive back by the next day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    Perhaps and I do agree it's stupid to try and strike North Korea with just B-1s as per the NBC report. Still it's a nice way to draw attention to them I guess...while the Pentagon prepares the REAL strike ( B-2s most likely ).
    In a related manner, it's possible that NK is lugging around a missile-shaped trash can.

Both nations would be stupid not to have plans. Both nations would also be stupid to strike first. You mentioned a good reason, for example, NK shouldn't fire.

- - - Updated - - -

If we do bomb missile instillation it would be with B-2s due to stealth capability.
    Yeah I'll defer any discussion on military hardware to people who actually know what they're talking about, because that's a little outside my realm of expertise. I just wanted to make sure that information was brought up as it seemed relevant.

Curious that North Korea would lay the accusation of "criminal attempt to impose nuclear disaster" upon Mr. President's lap. Is it not North Korea actively planning to launch missiles near United States territory?
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    Curious that North Korea would lay the accusation of "criminal attempt to impose nuclear disaster" upon Mr. President's lap. Is it not North Korea actively planning to launch missiles near United States territory?
    I'm fairly sure you're trying to analyze propaganda with logic.

- - - Updated - - -

Trump's strategy of not telling the enemy what you're going to do is hitting a wider range of enemies than expected.

Congressional leaders not hearing much from White House on North Korea

Several key congressional leaders say they have yet to hear from the White House on the administration's North Korea strategy as President Donald Trump has ratcheted up his rhetoric threatening "fire and fury" against Pyongyang.

While intelligence committee and "Gang of Eight" members report some engagement on North Korea, Democrats say the lack of updates from the White House on the tense situation in the Korean Peninsula is alarming.

"We are not receiving updates or briefings at all. The legislative branch of the US government is hearing about these developments on Twitter at the same time as Kim Jong Un," said Ben Marter, a spokesman for the Senate's No. 2 Democrat, Dick Durbin of Illinois.

A Democratic aide said the engagement from the administration on North Korea was "not much and not enough," saying there was "limited member engagement and only some staff level engagement."

The recent advancements of North Korea's nuclear program have been a major concern on Capitol Hill this year. In April the White House took the rare step of inviting all 100 senators to the White House for a classified briefing on North Korea.

But the threat escalated in a major way this week, amid reports that US intelligence agencies assess that North Korea has the produced a miniaturized nuclear warhead. Trump responded by threatening to unleash "fire and fury like the world has never seen," which in turn prompted Pyongyang to threaten Guam, a US territory where 6,000 US troops are stationed.

The developments with North Korea have occurred while Congress has largely deserted Washington for its month-long August recess, leaving the President's comments to stand for themselves without much chance for congressional leaders to weigh in or potentially moderate his rhetoric.

As a result, formal briefings can be difficult.

Senate armed services committee aides said that administration has not offered the committees any formal briefings on North Korea. A Senate foreign relations committee aide said there have been no member-level briefings on North Korea this week.

There is some discussion, however, particularly connected to intelligence and the "Gang of Eight" — the Republican and Democrat leaders of House and Senate and the intelligence committees who are briefed by the administration on intelligence matters.

A Senate intelligence committee source said the committee's staff have held a series of briefings across the intelligence community on the situation in North Korea.

The briefings were described by the source as part of the regular and frequent updates the intelligence community provides, and the committee has not heard from the White House or National Security Council, the source said.

North Korea is just going to keep posturing until Trump attacks first. I really don't think NK is dumb enough to attack the US, especially now that China has said they're not getting involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    And Trump's words of fury and fire play directly into NK propaganda that only weakens our ties to SK.
    A reaffirmation that the US will attack North Korea if it attacks US allies weakens our ties to US ally South Korea? Step away from the social media for a bit. Take a walk, get some fresh air.

That's exactly my point man, everyone there, including their "Supreme Leader" are brainwashed by this propaganda. I really don't understand how you don't get that, there have been plenty of dictators who have gone balls deep, when they surely should have known they were going to be annihilated, but did it anyways. These people dont think like us, they literally think theyre gods who cant lose.

- - - Updated - - -

If we do bomb missile instillation it would be with B-2s due to stealth capability. Not only that, they have a range where they can leave their base in NV, strike the targets in NK, refuel on the way back (probably near Guam or Midway) and safely arrive back by the next day.

You're serious with this shit? The message is intended for their people. That means, if you're a functional adult, you understand that the statements are what they are, and you don't react like a petty little bitch and make declarations about "fire and fury" and whatever other bullshit Trump's addled little mind managed to create.

It's propaganda directed to their audience. Anyone with half a brain understand this. That's why Trump doesn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    I swear Trump and Kim are reading from the same catch-phrase book with their threats....which probably was based on some 80's action movie.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    North Korea is just going to keep posturing until Trump attacks first. I really don't think NK is dumb enough to attack the US, especially now that China has said they're not getting involved.
    They seem to be winning the troll war so far. "Hey, let's see if we can make the US flinch over Guam" (it works) "Yes!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    How do you do politics with a dictator who has never been told no?
    We're seeing it happen, twice, simultaneously as we speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I swear Trump and Kim are reading from the same catch-phrase book with their threats....which probably was based on some 80's action movie.
    Kim is acting like an authoritarian leading a repressive regime. Trump is talking like he thinks big, tough world leaders talk. It just so happens that he things big, tough leaders talk like the heads of authoritarian, repressive regimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fortunately, Trump is not the only one involved.

"My portfolio, my mission, my responsibility is to have military options if you need it," Mattis told reporters at a Defense Innovation Unit Experimental (DIUx) event in Mountain View, California, in his first remarks since North Korea threatened to launch missiles near Guam. "However, right now, Secretary Tillerson, Ambassador (Nikki) Haley, you can see the American effort is diplomatically led, it has diplomatic traction, it is gaining diplomatic results. And I want to stay right there right now. The tragedy of war is well enough known. It does not need another characterization beyond the fact that it would be catastrophic."

While I still think we shouldn't get involved, it would make my day if Trump brought the "Great White Fleet" out of storage and just paraded a massive navy around North Korea that could level their country as a "stick"-waving measure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    B-1s are a great diversion as the B-2s make the actual opening strike. Plus, they can fire the stealth JASSM (24 per bomber) well outside of even the SA-5's effective range.

Fortunately, Trump is not the only one involved.

"My portfolio, my mission, my responsibility is to have military options if you need it," Mattis told reporters at a Defense Innovation Unit Experimental (DIUx) event in Mountain View, California, in his first remarks since North Korea threatened to launch missiles near Guam. "However, right now, Secretary Tillerson, Ambassador (Nikki) Haley, you can see the American effort is diplomatically led, it has diplomatic traction, it is gaining diplomatic results. And I want to stay right there right now. The tragedy of war is well enough known. It does not need another characterization beyond the fact that it would be catastrophic."
    These are the words of an adult who knows the gravity of the situation, words, and the decisions that will be made.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    A reaffirmation that the US will attack North Korea if it attacks US allies weakens our ties to US ally South Korea? Step away from the social media for a bit. Take a walk, get some fresh air.
    No, it's about the decadal propaganda campaign by the North Korean government to persuade both North and South Korean citizens that SO is a puppet, a human shield for US interests and consider their people less valuable.