Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Hiring the qualified person is so 90's, eh?
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2017-08-12 at 10:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And what Activision want achieve by this? Most of gaming companies starts hiring women to gaming industry, so they must live in cave for didin't notice it.

Diversity for the sake of diversity is stupid. They should hire who is the best for the role they need filled, not to fill a diversity quota.

Quote Originally Posted by IIBloodXLustII View Post
    Diversity for the sake of diversity is stupid. They should hire who is the best for the role they need filled, not to fill a diversity quota.
    This pretty much.

I'm all for it if the people they are hiring are qualified to do the job as I said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnulzenbarde View Post
    https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/08/in...in-more-women/

A good step at the right time. The number of female game designers and game industry workers from minorities should be raised, and blizzard supports that actively.
    I have to add the most important thing. You can't just hire the missing ladies of the market, if there isn't enough, or the right experience. It is a good initiative, as long as they don't here just to hire but folds for their own need of experience and development. Never liked forced equality (Diversity for the sake of diversity), so hope this'll go better for people.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbear View Post
    Technically either men and women can be "socially stunted, inexperienced, kissless virgins". If we're going down the sexism alley, isnt you assuming that it's specifically referencing men inherently sexist as well?
    It was specifically referencing to men, and males can be whores and sluts too.

Or are you now going to quote context as to why it isnt? Then surely I could redirect you towards the context of my posts and point you towards the fact I am using terms provided to me for lack of better words. There is a reason why I put it in quotation marks. I explicitly stated that I do not agree with the sentiments of the woman from the reddit post from which I took the words.
    I've also had my fair share of experience dealing with socially inept women in this curriculum (such as one who thought it was a brilliant idea to share with me that she had a gangbang and yaoi fetish in our first conversation, and another who argued that committing suicide was the only way to rebel against the machine that is society in our second conversation. Yes, these were real people, I couldnt make this shit up.)
    However, for every woman of that kind, you have 20 guys, because game dev courses attract such individuals like moths to a flame.
    Yea, you do not "agree" with them, but you do "understand where these feelings come from", to me that does indicate that you do agree with this sentiment.

Or are you now shouting about this imaginary sexism and tell me it is "nice to call people names" because I somehow offended your feelings? Look man, I did not insult anyone initially, I was merely sharing my observations, experiences and conversations with women who were either interested into getting into the game industry or are already in the game industry.
    It is a fact that tech industries, and especially at the college education level, has a higher saturation of people who could be perceived as "creeps" compared to other programmes. Calling them socially inept isn't exactly insulting, it's what they are for a lack of better words. And because of this perception, it either discourages women from enrolling into those courses or push them towards other courses that has a higher female demographic.
    Im merely pointing out that when you do not fit into a group then you need to change your self in order to fit into the group. Expecting the group to change so you do not have to deal with people you do not like is rather "princess behavior". And not to mention that half of this problem is that these other "socially superior" people will make damn sure that these "nerds" as they are often referred to will not be able to join the social rankings.

Throughout this entire thread I have argued in favour of a meritocracy, hiring people based on merit and completely ignoring gender and skin tones. However, there are reasons as to why several women i've spoken to have chosen for a graphic design or fine arts bachelor programme rather than going into VFX or game art despite having an interest in it, to give an example. And one of those was that both VFX and Game dev programmes have a higher percentage of individuals they'd rather not deal with.
    You find those individuals everywhere, men and women, but it is just a fact that game dev courses have a higher concentration of those of the male sex. And I cannot blame women for choosing another field of study based on that because those people are a pain to deal with, whether they are male or female.
    If you do not want to study the field you love just because there are some people in your course that you do not like then you are a exhibiting princess behavior. And that is just not something we should cater to. You are there to follow an education, not to like the people that are learning with you. The same goes for working somewhere, if you do not like some of the people you either leave and go do something else or just ignore it and go on. You just can not dictate how other people should change just so you would feel more comfortable in that setting.
    If you do not want people around you to be socially awkward then you have to include them, if you do not include them then its hard to take you seriously when you start complaining that they are socially inept, because you know, that is what happens to people that are not socially included. Yet this is exactly what is happening, they have been excluding "socially awkward" people their entire lives and then when they come across the social culture that these "social inept" people have created and then they start complaining that they do not feel at home in this social setting and want it to change. The fact is that they have wandered into another social culture, the culture that these "social inept" people have created. You can either try to change the culture a bit by including yourself into the culture, but that means that they themselves have to change for the biggest part, and not the group they have wandered into. Or they can just sod off, they do not get to demand that everyone has to change because they can't handle the culture that ultimately they themselves helped to create in earlier years.

Deleted
    Oh yeah, that complete tolerance of every 'culture' because everything is alright and morality is always relative, and if you don't like it, you just have to sod off and keep to your own people.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    This isn't equal opportunity. It's giving preference to minorities and ignoring those who have better qualifications if they don't meet the quota.
    Take a moment to read the post. There is no quota.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnulzenbarde View Post
    https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/08/in...in-more-women/

A good step at the right time. The number of female game designers and game industry workers from minorities should be raised, and blizzard supports that actively.
    No.....people should be hired etc on skills , not on the fact if they have something between their legs or have a certain color or religion. Is it good to have a decent pool of people of all colors and creeds etc...yes. But their should never be a arbitrary number saying company x needs x amount of x.
    Could they start programs to get in more of X...yes the could.( like they are).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I don't see how any decent person would be against this. We need equal opportunity for all. About time game devs get on board.
    How is it equal if you get a leg in front because of your ( insert sex, etc). People should be hired for their skills. Not to apply to a certain number or a feeling. But creating a program to help to get more people that are not male/white into the sector is a good thing. But people saying its good to get more equal opportunity for people are insane. Its a business...you get the best workers you can.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caaethil View Post
    Take a moment to read the post. There is no quota.
    Yup. But pretty much everyone response who is for it. Says things that makes its sounds like there is and should be. Things like equal opportunity etc. The original poster was that clear on it. And created the feeling that is about SJW rights.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    I feel like it's nice, programming is an industry which women might feel alienated in, so this push may be great for some aspiring female coders. However, I still hope Blizzard will hire people based on their merits and what they can bring, rather than based on their genitalia or orientation.

I also agree with the poster above saying hiring women in story & design (and LGBT+ people) would be beneficial, keeping mind to have any 'diversity' additions feel natural and not shoehorned (the enchanter in Azsuna is a nice touch, imo).

I expected something entirely different based on the title alone, though, so I'm pleasantly surprised.
    How many midgets and scots do blizzard hire considering they've appropriated their culture and stature?

It's also cynical they announce this policy after they've been dodging their taxes.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...s-paying-taxes

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    No.....people should be hired etc on skills , not on the fact if they have something between their legs or have a certain color or religion.
    What if the "skill" sought is one's own perspective?

What if the perspective of say, a woman, was sought? Did that ever cross your mind?

I work in an extremely diverse workplace, and you know what? Each of us have a unique perspective both on life and our business. And those all come together and achieves something even greater than the sum of its parts. And that sum is only achieved by the differing perspectives.

Furthermore, the presence of some perspectives are demonstrably lacking in certain industries. Like the gaming industry, which no one can deny, is strongly male-dominated. A chance to hire someone with a different perspective is an opportunity to expand, and most companies see this. So when someone who falls into a group that is traditionally seen as lacking in the industry, they're by definition in short supply. High demand + short supply = competition.

It's not that hard to understand, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    What if the "skill" sought is one's own perspective?

What if the perspective of say, a woman, was sought? Did that ever cross your mind?
    Even that is an inherently individual position. Unless you are actually arguing in favor of the 'shared' stereotype view?

Furthermore, the presence of some perspectives are demonstrably lacking in certain industries. Like the gaming industry, which no one can deny, is strongly male-dominated. A chance to hire someone with a different perspective is an opportunity to expand, and most companies see this. So when someone who falls into a group that is traditionally seen as lacking in the industry, they're by definition in short supply. High demand + short supply = competition.
    And yet we don't see anything coming from this 'female' perspective in games. Which is why the ESA has to do things like merge Candy Crush with CoD to reach that "50% of players are female!" tagline that the 'diversity at all costs' crowd howls for.

At the end of the day, diversity and equality in certain sectors of the job industry can only truly be achieved by encouraging underrepresented groups on the educational level, so that more aim to educate themselves for those jobs, manage to complete said education, and overall getting the same chances as everyone else. Etc etc. If members of one group will be actively chosen before another for open positions, then that will, factually, lead to someone getting discriminated against due to gender or race. Fighting evil with evil is a dangerous game, not to mention that it immediately and entirely removes the moral high ground for the action taken. Be it for good reasons or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tristannarutofan View Post
    Sorry but these attitudes reek or racism and sexism. It assumes that non white non men are inherintly better and anything is a risk

- - - Updated - - -

^Sounds like alt right talk to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes how is that bad?

If you have 10 white guys already and need a new employee and they are all equally qualified you pick the one who might provide different perspective. Thats why diversity for the sake of diversity is always good. Attitudes like yours make it sound like the white guy deserved it. If all your candidates are equal you look for other benefits like a fresh perspective

- - - Updated - - -
    Either way blizz knows infinately more about running a company than anyone here. So if you disagree im going to assume you dont know what you are talking about
    Attitudes like mine don't reflect anything. If you want to engage in a back and forth here, then i would've told that anytime anyone contests diversity initiatives, in come its knights claiming that its critics are nothing more than racists and sexists.

Diversity doesn't assure your company with a brand new refreshing perspective.

Ah yes, the good old appeal to authority. Good closing argument. You want stupid arguments? Alright, then hiring someone just pursue so ridiculous political correct agenda is no more racist than hiring white people only. Both are promoting the exclusion of a given group.

That's the issue with group diversity, you will never stop catering to different groups, because that's just it, you can create an almost infinite number of groups. It's a self destructive process.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Back in my day we hoped to hire the best person for the job, regardless of genitalia or sexual orientation.

That's bigoted nowadays. Oh progressives, thou hast gone too far.
    I've got a bridge to sell you if you think that is what happened back in your day, lmao. Take the stories of female supreme court justices for example; top notch degree(s) from the best law schools in the world and they had trouble getting into secretary jobs as their entry jobs.

I'm all for the best person gets the job; the sad truth is this triggers both sides. Liberals will ramble something about patriarchy, the right will carry on with their self-victimizing boner.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Do you want equality or "equality"?
    I want you to actually grow the balls you pretend to have and stop your constant self-victimizing.

I don't see how any decent person would be against this. We need equal opportunity for all. About time game devs get on board.
    Do you even understand that this is the furthest away from equal opportunity it could be? This is equal outcome.

In other news, Blizzard confirmedly converged. Something we knew 3 years ago already. Now let's observe how in next 10-15 years they slowly decay into nothingness and obscurity as they try to push more and more SJW crap instead of making games.

Now we know why all those employees who poured their life and soul into the company all started leaving one after another.

As for the state of the womein in tech, here's a good read on the reality of situation:
    Note to Female Engineers
    If you are a female engineer and not getting vastly greater compensation then your male colleagues then you are not leveraging the demand that exists. I interviewed plenty of very qualified females to which that I made offers who were smart and just used my offer to leverage better offers from the 5 other companies with strict diversity polices trying to hire them.
    source

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    I've got a bridge to sell you if you think that is what happened back in your day, lmao. Take the stories of female supreme court justices for example; top notch degree(s) from the best law schools in the world and they had trouble getting into secretary jobs as their entry jobs.

I'm all for the best person gets the job; the sad truth is this triggers both sides. Liberals will ramble something about patriarchy, the right will carry on with their self-victimizing boner.

- - - Updated - - -

I want you to actually grow the balls you pretend to have and stop your constant self-victimizing.
    Ah so "equality" it is for you then.

Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    Ah so "equality" it is for you then.
    Can I sell you a tiny violin or something?

I don't see how any decent person would be against this. We need equal opportunity for all..
    If you focus on and talk about minorities it's not equal.

If the minorities are good, they will be hired. No one is insane enough to hire a bad white male employee over a good black female.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post

- - - Updated - - -

How ridiculous.

Take the stories of female supreme court justices for example; top notch degree(s) from the best law schools in the world and they had trouble getting into secretary jobs as their entry jobs.
    1. Stories aren't always true. You should know by now, if you are not utterly naive, that people will lie to save face.

2. Having a great degree doesn't guarantee a good job. Maybe they were good at cramming down on lecture notes but they absolutely suck at being assertive or they gave off entitlement creeps or they simply seemed like a bad fit for the company.

I want you to actually grow the balls
    Ending a post about equality with anti-male sexism.

How fitting.

Why do people keep saying feminists want equality? You all sooner or later show your true colors and it ain't equality.

Imagine Anita Sarkeesian writing the story of the next WoW expansion...