Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I just hope getting rid of Moffat makes the writing better.
    Moffatt is a high quality writer. Sherlock proves that. He's just hamstrung by the fact that Doctor Who is a kids show.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Moffatt is a high quality writer. Sherlock proves that. He's just hamstrung by the fact that Doctor Who is a kids show.
    The last two seasons of Sherlock with disagree with you... At his best, Moffat is an amazing writer, but the majority of the time he is at best acceptable.

It doesn't matter if you can write one amazingly fantastic episode per season, if the rest are all mediocre to poor. I'd MUCH rather have someone who writes a solid season, than someone who writes an average to bad season with one or two amazing episodes.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope the new writer can do supporting characters better... like Amy's parents don't mind that they never met their grandchild? :s I know Clara was annoying but surely her family would be concerned with her dieing then going off to see the universe?... Seems like with Bill's step mum they just made her horrible so we didn't care...

russell t davies did great with people like Wilfred/ Sylvia and Jackie tyler.

Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2017-08-11 at 02:12 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    This is the guy who killed Tennant's Doctor.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope the new writer can do supporting characters better...
    Indeed, it's great having a good Doctor, and it's all but required to have a good companion... But if you want your series to be GREAT, you have to have a solid support cast.

Capaldi almost got there, with Danny Pink, who was hugely underused, and Osgood, but that's just not quite enough.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    This is the guy who killed Tennant's Doctor.
    That is one of the most memorable characters of all Dr.who universe and i'm not sure why you hating on that ARC, it was a master piece.

15+ Year Old Account
    I hope the new writer can do supporting characters better... like Amy's parents don't mind that they never met their grandchild? :s I know Clara was annoying but surely her family would be concerned with her dieing then going off to see the universe?... Seems like with Bill's step mum they just made her horrible so we didn't care...

russell t davies did great with people like Wilfred/ Sylvia and Jackie tyler.

The supporting cast is what makes Doctor Who, even though the show is named after him...the show is not about him but the people around him and how he influences them. I honestly think Moffat forgot about this.

Kids shows can be great, take a look at Gravity Falls.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    The supporting cast is what makes Doctor Who, even though the show is named after him...the show is not about him but the people around him and how he influences them. I honestly think Moffat forgot about this.
    It's actually pretty true of writing in general. Even though the "main cast" is the focus of the story, "the story" doesn't exist without a believable demonstration of how the "main cast" affects the world and people around them. If the world feels empty, or the people don't respond to the actions of the main characters, then the story feels cheap and hollow.

This was actually one of my biggest complaints about several of the major earth-based episodes in the last couple seasons. Especially when The Doctor explains it away with "people are dumb and forget stuff easily". You can't just blow up life as we know it and then just explain it away with "people are dumb." It completely strips the story of any meaningful impact.

A lot of "kids shows" are great. But people who like to sound intelligent and snooty act like because they aren't intended for "mature audiences" (which typipcally means nothing more than the inclusion of sex, drugs and violence) means they're somehow less valuable.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Sure, but Moffatt himself is hamstrung by writing for kids shows.

- - - Updated - - -

It depends on how its written. Genesis of the Daleks was really about revealing things about who the Doctor is. He is forced against his will to work on Skaro to stop the Daleks by the Time Lords. He loses people. The Daleks torture him in insidious ways. He has to make calls that affect the universe (which at that time was pretty rare). All of these forces were revealing his character. At the end of the serial, you come away with a much better understanding of who he is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    The last two seasons of Sherlock with disagree with you... At his best, Moffat is an amazing writer, but the majority of the time he is at best acceptable.

It doesn't matter if you can write one amazingly fantastic episode per season, if the rest are all mediocre to poor. I'd MUCH rather have someone who writes a solid season, than someone who writes an average to bad season with one or two amazing episodes.
    Geez those are high standards. If you give me a guy that can write one amazing episode per season guaranteed, he's pretty much an amazing writer.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I'm going to take a moment to appreciate 50 years of the American Doctor Who.
    So you celebrate something that doesnt exist? But Damn now I want a Christopher Walken Doctor! (Nicolas Cage? REALY? *SHIVER*)

- - - Updated - - -

Just because YOU dont like something doesnt mean the writing is bad. Sherlock Season 3 and 4 where awsome!

PS: If someone (like me) wanna see the new doctor in action: In "Trust Me" is Jodie Whittaker as a Nurse who fakes to be a doctor. (no phun intended)
    Last edited by mmoc25fb373f9a; 2017-08-12 at 02:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Geez those are high standards. If you give me a guy that can write one amazing episode per season guaranteed, he's pretty much an amazing writer.
    No... He's really not. Writing one great episode and 10+ bad ones makes you at best inconsistant. People don't want a writer who will either win awards or get your show cancelled, they want writers who will continue to put out solid episodes season after season.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Just because YOU dont like something doesnt mean the writing is bad. Sherlock Season 3 and 4 where awsome!
    The ratings and the fact season 5 is basically on hold would beg to differ. I actually didn't mind season four, except for the slightly weak finalé, I thought it was ok... But boy the ratings do not agree...

No... He's really not. Writing one great episode and 10+ bad ones makes you at best inconsistant. People don't want a writer who will either win awards or get your show cancelled, they want writers who will continue to put out solid episodes season after season.

The ratings and the fact season 5 is basically on hold would beg to differ. I actually didn't mind season four, except for the slightly weak finalé, I thought it was ok... But boy the ratings do not agree...
    tbh, the ratings likely are more the result of the multiple year breaks the show is forced to take because of the actors schedules. although i will agree that sherlock at this point caters far too much to the fangirls, the past couple seasons essentially just giving the fangirls everything they want.

i have a feeling thats the main reason doctor whos ratings have fallen as well.

granted, this hasnt affected america where the ratings for doctor who are higher than ever and sherlock remains completely stable, although sherlock hasnt fallen as much as doctor who in the uk, its still getting ratings higher than its first season.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    although i will agree that sherlock at this point caters far too much to the fangirls, the past couple seasons essentially just giving the fangirls everything they want.
    Indeed, it's become bad fanfiction... There are so many amazing Sherlock stories they could have adapted, but they chose to make up some wierd shit.

Because of Fangirl Number 1: Moffat XD.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sure, but Moffatt himself is hamstrung by writing for kids shows.
    I disagree that it is even a kids show. Go and watch Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead and tell me that this is a kids show. Kids can certainly watch it and most of the episodes, but Doctor Who is not a 'Kids' show, maybe family friendly is a better word for it. But I do believe it touches on aspects that kids don't really know about.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    So you celebrate something that doesnt exist?
    Didn't see the wink, huh?

Deleted
    lul? The writing on sherlock has been abyssmal last couple of series. moffat is so far up his own arse its hard to work out if he even exists in the external universe anymore. Thinks he is being clever, but everyone works it out immediately, sits there hoping for a twist that never comes.

He needs to fuck off and get someone with talent and a new idea, not his recycled garbage over and over again.

My alternate American Doctor Who: (I'm not allowing myself to use the choices selected in the video)

1. Buddy Ebsen
    2. Peter Falk
    3. Alan Alda
    4. Dwight Schultz (Murdock from the A-team)
    5. Mark Hamill
    6. Jerry Seinfeld (in his sitcom he played a character that basically hates everyone, which he shares with the Sixth Doctor. Its gotta be Seinfeld)
    7. John Ritter
    8. John Shea (Lex Luthor from Lois & Clark)
    9. Alfonso Ribeiro (Carlton from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) (he did the Carlton dance and the Daleks ran away!)
    10. Mark-Paul Gosselaar (Zack from Saved by the Bell)
    war: Dean Stockwell (Al from Quantum Leap)
    11. Ashton Kutchner (Stockwell berating Kutchner would be priceless)
    12. Terry O'Quinn (Locke from LOST)
    13. Sarah Michelle Gellar
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2017-08-29 at 12:54 AM.

his impression of matt is spot the fuck on

- - - Updated - - -

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    What the the hell, thought that really had to be fake until he missed a word from the speech :S

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if they're gonna paint the Tardis pink...