Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    Well let's see... uh yes, I'm pretty sure they do it for mugshots and the like. Also you could be hiding shit in it. Pretty sure standard procedure for when you get thrown in jail is to search to you see if there's any contraband.
    this wasn't part of the search though, this was to strip her and leave her in a state of undress for an extended period.

and even during a search, clothing removal would be minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    Now tell that to all the White folk who get away with crimes for no reason other than them being White

And for the record, you can very easily abide by the law while still respecting religious freedoms in this case. Like what was said in the article, could have easily allowed only Female officers in that room.
    First off: That's racist. Secondly: Nobody gets away with crimes because they're white. There is no law that says "A white man shall be punished less than any other race or gender." The only reason white people are treated different is because of racial bias in the minds of the people dealing with them. That's 400% different than a law telling everybody that white people are to be treated better. Thirdly: You can't choose to be white. You can choose to be religious and to choose your own religion.

And if they have no available women? Do you just let them go? I mean I'm pretty sure you have to do a search of their person before you even put them in a holding cell, yeah? Where do you keep her? In the car? That sounds like a sound idea. Let's make sure we keep all Muslim women in the police car awaiting a female officer to come in and remove her head wear. Seems legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    "Strip her"

"State of undress"

They removed a head scarf.
    taking i feel naked without *insert item* to a whole new level.
    i feel naked without my watch
    without my belt
    without my pinky ring

now i just need to make a religion that says i need to be wearing those things

You people will complain about literally anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    No... you lose a lot of rights when CONVICTED of a crime. Until such point, you're innocent until proven guilty.
    Weird... so what you're saying is that when people are convicted of a crime, it's illegal to displace them from their home and take them to jail to await trial? Pretty sure that's removing some rights immediately. They also lose the right of a lot of privacy at that point since they get searched. Seems like... maybe you're wrong?

Just because having someone of the opposite gender strip you naked and then force you to remain that way overnight is "standard procedure", doesn't make it morally or legally correct. *ESPECIALLY* should the victim be found innocent afterwards.
    It doesn't matter if the person is innocent or not, it's about the moment of arrest. Also, they didn't fucking strip her naked. They REMOVED HER HEADSCARF. If the law is not morally correct then you lobby to change the law. Until the law gets changed then it doesn't matter if you think it's morally correct or not. Other countries make it illegal to be a certain religion. That means it's illegal to be that religion in that country. Doesn't matter whose morals you're using. That's the law. You can change it or you can leave the place you live, but you can't just ignore the law because you don't like it. You're going to get arrested.

And to clarify on the, "especially when they're proven innocent afterwards," point: It doesn't matter what you did when there was the strong belief that they could be linked to a crime. If she was arrested based on any allegations it means she was a very reasonable suspect. That's the point with which the police treat them like a reasonable suspect. You search them, you put them on trial, you find out if they're guilty of not. It doesn't matter if they're innocent. OJ was found innocent and nobody was like thinking, "Oh man. We really dun goofed when we slapped handcuffs on him and made him get a lawyer."

Its a shame people so easily forget about the presumption of innocence, especially when police overreach often ends in brutality or death of *ACTUAL* innocent people.
    The presumption of innocence doesn't mean you can't detain somebody. It doesn't mean you can't strip search them. It doesn't mean you can't force them to stay in jail unless bail is paid. Officers assuming somebody's innocence would not make brutality any less common. Police kill people when they get scared. It has nothing to do with whether or not they think they committed a crime, only if they think somebody is a threat to their life. You reach for your wallet too fast after getting pulled over and you could get shot. Now you tell me what part of assuming somebody is innocent will prevent that because I don't see it.

- - - Updated - - -

this wasn't part of the search though, this was to strip her and leave her in a state of undress for an extended period.

and even during a search, clothing removal would be minimal.
    Also uh... they literally removed her headscarf. She was fully clothed minus that one item. I mean, if wearing a head piece is not legal in jail then it's not fucking legal. I don't know what to tell you.

Wellll....that's not really true, either. You still have a lot of rights even when incarcerated, and those include religious rights. There's plenty of precedent on that, you don't just lose all your rights to religious expression when incarcerated.

At the same time, that religion doesn't give you the right to ignore rules just for the sake of it. Neutral rules, rules that are enforced universally, rules that aren't specifically designed to infringe on religion...these are all things that generally must be followed, even if they may incidentally cause an inmate to act in a manner inconsistent with their religious belief.
    I mean you're right. My post was a little stupid and a blanket statement which, in my mind, made more sense than the actual post ended up being. What I was thinking was "removing somebody's clothing or not letting them carry a Bible into jail with them is not longer an infringement on their religion if that's what the law says"

Or like... once you're in the hands of the law, you do what the law says you need to do, regardless of what your religion would dictate. If there's a law in existence right now, then it's probably something that is considered "neutral" and doesn't infringe on a specific religion like... I'm sure the law is "No head wear in jail" not "Muslim head wear is prohibited in jail"

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a known practioner of bootyism, I declare the ski mask the official face wear of the religion. It can only be removed by a cop with a big booty, preferably female. Anything else is a gross violation of my religious beliefs.

Oh, and Bootyism's prophet was also a mid life crisis stricken salesmen turned conquering warlord, so my religion is totes legit. Respect it society! Make accommodations should a bootyist get arrested or get sued motherfuckers.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2017-08-13 at 04:49 AM.

If she was so wrong, the department wouldn't have changed their policy, and she wouldn't have won her case. Once again there are laws to protect religious rights, so FOH with that "law is the law" mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Law > Religion
    No exceptions. She was in police custody therefore her hijab was fair game to be removed.
    The fact that they paid her is kind of bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    Law > Religion
    No exceptions. She was in police custody therefore her hijab was fair game to be removed.
    The fact that they paid her is kind of bullshit
    But why? I see no reason to remove it.

Deleted
    The police acted appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    If she was so wrong, the department wouldn't have changed their policy, and she wouldn't have won her case. Once again there are laws to protect religious rights, so FOH with that "law is the law" mess.
    thats not how the world works, dont be so naive

she also did not win anything. it was never ruled on. they just paid her dumbass to go away

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You guys keep saying, the "law is the law", but there are laws to protect the religious rights of inmates. So get wrecked.

For you guys who can't read:
    Female officers are now required to remove a female inmate’s headscarf, “when necessary for officer safety,” outside the presence of male officers and inmates, said Monte Machit, Long Beach assistant city attorney.

See my satire post.

What if a female officer isn't at the station or not working?

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    First off: That's racist. Secondly: Nobody gets away with crimes because they're white. There is no law that says "A white man shall be punished less than any other race or gender." The only reason white people are treated different is because of racial bias in the minds of the people dealing with them. That's 400% different than a law telling everybody that white people are to be treated better. Thirdly: You can't choose to be white. You can choose to be religious and to choose your own religion.

And if they have no available women? Do you just let them go? I mean I'm pretty sure you have to do a search of their person before you even put them in a holding cell, yeah? Where do you keep her? In the car? That sounds like a sound idea. Let's make sure we keep all Muslim women in the police car awaiting a female officer to come in and remove her head wear. Seems legit.
    Let's see.

1) No, it isn't

2) Never said there was a law stating that White folks shall be punished less (or not at all). But your statement regarding racial is more to the point I was trying to make. Which is that White folks (especially rich ones) get away with way more shit than everyone else.

3) Just as much as you can't choose to be Black, Trans, Gay, or anywhere in-between. Also, if you can choose religion, why is it protected?

4) All the more reason to be hiring more Women

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    How do you become more fundamentalist in lack of belief in something?
    You can start imposing your lack of belief to others for starter. See USSR.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xindralol View Post
    What does this have to do with women? If men wore diaper head pieces like that I'd imagine those'd also be removed.
    I mean it's all relative of course but clothing is simply part of any civilized society.
    Why don't you answer the god damn question? I mean you don't even have to go with full naked. Force women to remove top, why that's not okay? Let me tell you, it's because of Abrahamic religions but you guys wouldn't be fine with police forcibly removing shirt/bra of a woman, exposing her chest, would you?

- - - Updated - - -

For whatever reason, "people of faith" feel this weird need to claim that EVERYTHING is "faith".

Science, atheism, logic, etc. It all has to be "faith" because if they can't get you to be of their specific group, they'll at least insist that you're in the same species.
    I am agnostic. There goes your crazy theory.

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    thats not how the world works, dont be so naive

she also did not win anything. it was never ruled on. they just paid her dumbass to go away
    She received a hefty amount of money. Seems like a win to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

She was in the right 100%, she deserves that money as well.
    This. I don't need to read the rest of this thread now!

Freedom of practicing a religion does not apply to the clothes one has or has not to wear in detention. That case is ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Freedom of practicing a religion does not apply to the clothes one has or has not to wear in detention. That case is ridiculous.
    Religion wants to be exempt from the law of the land, just look at sharia
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Should her religious beliefs really come before the procedure? What can be hidden inside a hijab? Could it be used to strangle oneself? If she should get special treatment for her feels, then what comes next?

Can't believe they settled to pay her, essentially giving her the right in this. I don't want law enforcement that is backbound by PC culture...
    Do you even listen to yourself. It's just a freaking hijab. Get a grip. This is clearly a violation going on.

Faith & religion >>> law