Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    That would depend on if those being non violent are advocating for violence or rather death specifically of others they claim should tolerate them and be non violent.
    REALLY need to be careful with that, BLM and Antifa Chant death to cops all the time. REALLY may want to watch out what you're ACTUALLY advocating for. . .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    I'll skip~ when someone calls internet trolls "Nazi", I'll be sure to throw some cheap shots too.
    And yet, only one group used Nazi symbology the past few days in Charlotteville, the same that used fasces symbols.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    There's no defending the driver that killed someone and there's no defending this. You can't have it both ways.
    Plowing a car into peaceful protestors, killing 1, injuring dozens, and punching a fascist for being a fascist are not moral equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    I cannot understand how someone can be offended by removing a statue.

But seriously, would you like to see someone being publicly honored and glorified who fought for the continued enslavement of your people?
    "The sins of the past helped forge the present".

I think it's important that history is remembered, publicly and wholly, just contextualised for today. I'm generally against removal of statues but that's partly because, living in Britain, if we removed every statue of a figure that would be "controversial" by todays standards we wouldn't have many statues left.

The best ideas I've seen here is to update all the plaques to say "this is why he was honoured at the time, but this is why he was actually a shit-head and what we've learnt from this" so people can take something real away from these statues. At the very least, they're a reminder of that history and open debate.

IMO the huge difference and the biggest issue here the following -
    There was a lot of debate in the UK last year about the removal of a statue of Cecil Rhodes, an ardent imperialist. There was much discussion and many viewpoints... but NONE of these were about whether he was justified in his beliefs, misunderstood, right, or if he was in some way still a hero to a lot of people.

Figures like Lee are still publicly honoured and glorified today in the US, statue or no statue. He still seems to be a national hero to some; where once as a figure of national reconciliation, now he's just used as symbol of a lot of extremist ideas (that even Lee likely wouldn't have agreed with). There's clearly (as evidenced from the protest) a much larger issue here with a radicalised element of the right who are just using things like the removal of the statues to try and justify their own existence.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    And yet, only one group used Nazi symbology the past few days in Charlotteville, the same that used fasces symbols.
    Same can be said about the picture I was commenting about - only one group actually got violent, even though some edgy bearded guy was making a salute and some other dude was flipping the bird on his face.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRickyB View Post
    REALLY need to be careful with that, BLM and Antifa Chant death to cops all the time. REALLY may want to watch out what you're ACTUALLY advocating for. . .
    First off I am not BLM or Antifa, and second no they fucking don't I have watched enough of their protest, and never have I seen anything like that except from questionable sources.

And yeah anybody advocating that shit fuck them, but that isn't what Antifa or BLM is about Alt-Right on the other hand it is nothing but.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    "The sins of the past helped forge the present".

I think it's important that history is remembered, publicly and wholly, just contextualised for today. I'm generally against removal of statues but that's partly because, living in Britain, if we removed every statue of a figure that would be "controversial" by todays standards we wouldn't have many statues left.

The best ideas I've seen here is to update all the plaques to say "this is why he was honoured at the time, but this is why he was actually a shit-head and what we've learnt from this" so people can take something real away from these statues.

IMO the huge difference and the biggest issue here the following -
    As a comparison, there was a lot of debate in the UK last year about the removal of a statue of Cecil Rhodes, an ardent imperialist. There was much discussion and many viewpoints... but NONE of these were about whether he was justified in his beliefs, misunderstood, right, or if he was in some way still a hero to a lot of people.

Figures like Lee are still publicly honoured and glorified today in the US, statue or no statue. He still seems to be a national hero to some; where once as a figure of national reconciliation, now he's just used as symbol of a lot of extremist ideas (that even Lee likely wouldn't have agreed with). There's clearly (as evidenced from the protest) a much larger issue here with a radicalised element of the right who are just using things like the removal of the statues to try and justify their own existence.

As others have pointed out, there is nothing historic about the statue. It was put up decades afterwards in order to whitewash the history. Into the trash it goes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    He was being peaceful. The guy who punched him was not.
    The guy running into protesters was not being peaceful.

Same can be said about the picture I was commenting about - only one group actually got violent, even though some edgy bearded guy was making a salute and some other dude was flipping the bird on his face.
    Yeah one picture.

Ignoring every fucking thing else that happened or what would have led up to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Nothing peaceful about being a Nazi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Someone violently silencing someone whose opinion they do not agree with? Yeah, that's cool in your eyes, I guess
    Nazism isn't an opinion. Nazism is a violent ideology that will not be tolerated. Stop conflating Nazism with opinion. It isn't.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    Yeah one picture.

Ignoring every fucking thing else that happened or what would have led up to it.
    Adults are trying to talk here. If you can't discuss other topics, related to the big subject, refrain from engaging in said conversations. Easy peasy, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    First off I am not BLM or Antifa, and second no they fucking don't I have watched enough of their protest, and never have I seen anything like that except from questionable sources.

And yeah anybody advocating that shit fuck them, but that isn't what Antifa or BLM is about Alt-Right on the other hand it is nothing but.
    "questionable sources" i.e. videos of their rallies, so your boldface lying. but the Point of my post was if you advocate violence against people who want violence against others, it just doesnt apply to people you dont like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not condoning violence doesn't mean you're defending the "Nazi" guy.
    It is defending the guy if you equate punching a Nazi, to running people over trying to kill them.

Deleted
    See me here advocating either side? This isn't black vs. white, there are countless moderates like me (including many on this same thread) that are against both groups.

The thing is the topic of this thread is about one group member using the exact same tactics as a terrorist organization.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Not condoning violence doesn't mean you're defending the "Nazi" guy.
    Not condoning violence against a violent ideology is exactly how Nazism became powerful.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

White nationalists were throwing bricks, rocks, and cups full of piss at people regardless of if they were counter protesters or not, They were grabbing random bystanders on the street and telling them the ways they'd like to kill them. They would have small groups stand outside businesses and yell that the minorities in the shop or shop owners belong in a gas chamber. They bludgeoned and even hospitalized people with torches after getting told to fuck off at UVA on Friday night.

I'm not saying that's what happened in this particular case to warrant the punch, but the white nationalists weren't protesting peacefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    Nazism isn't an opinion. Nazism is a violent ideology that will not be tolerated. Stop conflating Nazism with opinion. It isn't.
    A lot of people are doing and tagging along with Nazi symbols because it triggers the rabid regressives.

That bearded edgelord could hate Jews and want them gone. Or he could be one of those I mentioned above. Until he actually commits a violent action, don't attack him. It's that simple to behave accordingly to what you preach.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRickyB View Post
    "questionable sources" i.e. videos of their rallies, so your boldface lying. but the Point of my post was if you advocate violence against people who want violence against others, it just doesnt apply to people you dont like.
    No, I am saying you are flat out making shit up, because you know good god damn well there is a huge difference between people who's primary goal is protesting the mistreatment of cops and those who want to shut down a lecture of hate speech at a campus.

And a Facist Neo Nazi White Supremacist, who actively promote hatred and death for those they consider the enemy, meaning war with anybody not white.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    See me here advocating either side? This isn't black vs. white, there are countless moderates like me (including many on this same thread) that are against both groups.

The thing is the topic of this thread is about one group member using the exact same tactics as a terrorist organization.
    And, again, what does that has anything to do with what I commented about Elba's post?