Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can you take a picture of the back of your computer?

Have you tried reseating the GPU and power cable for it?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Can you take a picture of the back of your computer?

Have you tried reseating the GPU and power cable for it?
    Here you go:
    https://ibb.co/niMbuv

I have done reseating the GPU and power cable. They are all connected and seated in where they should be.

you can install amd gpu drivers? got any error on the installation?, when i got my rx 480 i had some problems similar to what you are having (gpu not detected as a rx 480 just a standard gpu) i fixed it removing all previous drivers with DDU (http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html)redownloaded the driver, uncompress it and then installing the driver STANDALONE without using amd program (amd program was the culprit in my case may be yours too), double click on the gpu in the device manager and manually point to the uncompressed folder of the amd driver to search for a driver
    Last edited by azkhane; 2017-08-13 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by azkhane View Post
    you can install amd gpu drivers? got any error on the installation?, when i got my rx 480 i had some problems similar to what you are having (gpu not detected as a rx 480 just a standard gpu) i fixed it removing all previous drivers with DDU (http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html)redownloaded the driver, uncompress it and then installing the driver STANDALONE without using amd program (amd program was the culprit in my case may be yours too), double click on the gpu in the device manager and manually point to the uncompressed folder of the amd driver to search for a driver
    Hmm. I'll try that.

- - - Updated - - -

Which driver should I install? There's like 3 of them. Should I use the one that auto detects from the utility or something else?

- - - Updated - - -

Can you go step-by-step on how to do that? I only see an executable file on the AMD website. When I click on it, it installs it. It is not a zip file so I can't uncompress it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Right-click the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" and click properties.

If in the window that pops up under the "Device Status" section it states: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" then you're SoL.
    It means your graphics card has dropped into a panic state and cannot recover, in essence meaning it's dead and needs replacing.

I've never seen a graphics card recover with a Code 10 error, a BIOS flash (if the tool detects it) has helped in the past for all of 10 - 30 minutes before it dies again.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Right-click the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" and click properties.

If in the window that pops up under the "Device Status" section it states: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" then you're SoL.
    It means your graphics card has dropped into a panic state and cannot recover, in essence meaning it's dead and needs replacing.

I've never seen a graphics card recover with a Code 10 error, a BIOS flash (if the tool detects it) has helped in the past for all of 10 - 30 minutes before it dies again.
    Nope. It says "This device is working properly". I have no idea what to do next.

I tried installing an older version of the AMD driver by downloading it from guru3d and installing it but it didn't work I even used the one with WHQL on it. Had to use DDU to be able to boot up into windows normally.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm...

Is there a friend you can test this GFX card with?
    You have to plug it into his/her PC with the power connectors.

Don't worry this is perfectly safe as long as you don't do it whilst that person's PC is powered on.
    Even if your GPU is busted it will not affect his system at all.

If the same symptoms appear it is 100% your GFX card.
    If it works in the other system there may be a plethora of possibilities, one of which is a PSU issue.

Hence why you should test it in anyone else's PC and see if it works, this will rule out a lot of things.
    Just make sure that whomever you poke for it has an OK PSU and not some cheap ass 300W one.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit:

Actually just occurred to me... can you make a screenshot of the tearing in action with the new drivers?
    It could be your graphics card is overheating and may need cleaning or a new layer of Thermal Paste.

Hmmm...

Is there a friend you can test this GFX card with?
    You have to plug it into his/her PC with the power connectors.

Don't worry this is perfectly safe as long as you don't do it whilst that person's PC is powered on.
    Even if your GPU is busted it will not affect his system at all.

If the same symptoms appear it is 100% your GFX card.
    If it works in the other system there may be a plethora of possibilities, one of which is a PSU issue.

Hence why you should test it in anyone else's PC and see if it works, this will rule out a lot of things.
    Just make sure that whomever you poke for it has an OK PSU and not some cheap ass 300W one.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit:

Actually just occurred to me... can you make a screenshot of the tearing in action with the new drivers?
    It could be your graphics card is overheating and may need cleaning or a new layer of Thermal Paste.
    Sorry no friend that I can do that with.

I can try testing it on my dad's old computer but don't know about the PSU.
    The tearing only happens with old drivers. I tried an old driver that was a catalyst driver and not a crimson one and I still got tearing and then I log in, then it goes to black screen. I'll take a picture of the tearing with one of the drivers that amd recommends for my driver since it's a legacy video card now.

I'll also try and see what PSU my dad is running and trying it on his old computer. Maybe try it on his new computer but I don't think he will be convinced to let me do that lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lychee3000 View Post
    Sorry no friend that I can do that with.

I can try testing it on my dad's old computer but don't know about the PSU.
    The tearing only happens with old drivers. I tried an old driver that was a catalyst driver and not a crimson one and I still got tearing and then I log in, then it goes to black screen. I'll take a picture of the tearing with one of the drivers that amd recommends for my driver since it's a legacy video card now.

I'll also try and see what PSU my dad is running and trying it on his old computer. Maybe try it on his new computer but I don't think he will be convinced to let me do that lol.
    Like I said it's perfectly safe provided you do it when his PC is off and don't physically abuse the thing.

You just need to install it, see if drivers install, and if it does a game that is relatively graphically intensive (more than 3 minutes, like 15 - 30 minutes).
    If it works 100% fine on the other PC like that then it means, at least, that your graphics card is fine and that the issue is in your local rig.

From that point tests can eliminate things later, let's focus on the obvious first.

Also there's no colours being off or green/pink dots in the screen BEFORE you get to Windows?

Like I said it's perfectly safe provided you do it when his PC is off and don't physically abuse the thing.

You just need to install it, see if drivers install, and if it does a game that is relatively graphically intensive (more than 3 minutes, like 15 - 30 minutes).
    If it works 100% fine on the other PC like that then it means, at least, that your graphics card is fine and that the issue is in your local rig.

From that point tests can eliminate things later, let's focus on the obvious first.

Also there's no colours being off or green/pink dots in the screen BEFORE you get to Windows?
    Ok will do. Just need to find out the PSU for my dad's computer and I'll install it and see. Any game you can suggest I can download quickly that is relatively graphically intensive in the case that the graphic card boots up? I don't wanna install WoW on his computer and test it. It'll take too long. I can install D3 but I don't know if that is graphically intensive.

Also, no pink or green or any kind of dots on the screen. Just a black screen with no cursor after windows logo.

- - - Updated - - -

What did you mean by the power connectors? The wires that go from the video card to the motherboard or something else?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh do you mean the wires that connect from the graphic card to the PSU? Just noticed there are no wires from the card to the motherboard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok will do. Just need to find out the PSU for my dad's computer and I'll install it and see. Any game you can suggest I can download quickly that is relatively graphically intensive in the case that the graphic card boots up? I don't wanna install WoW on his computer and test it. It'll take too long. I can install D3 but I don't know if that is graphically intensive.

Also, no pink or green or any kind of dots on the screen. Just a black screen with no cursor after windows logo.
    Overwatch will do f.ex. as long as Vsync isn't enabled etc.
    Push the card to work 100%.

- - - Updated - - -
    What did you mean by the power connectors? The wires that go from the video card to the motherboard or something else?

- - - Updated - - -
    Oh do you mean the wires that connect from the graphic card to the PSU? Just noticed there are no wires from the card to the motherboard.
    I mean the cables from the PSU to the graphics card.

I can't test it on any computer. My dad's new computer is under warranty so I can't open it. My brother's computer is moderately new so I can't open that. The old computers are missing components so it's pointless to use that.

I did get some suggestions from my brother. He is a computer debugger or something to do with quality assurance. He did computer engineering in Uni.
    Anyway, he suggested to try the old drivers and see if they work. I remember being on the catalyst version and not the crimson one. So I'll try those ones. I don't remember the exact version I had before the black screen started happening unfortunately. But anyway, I'll test those versions and let you know.

- - - Updated - - -

Well. I tested MANY of the Crimson ReLive drivers, the Crimson drivers and the Catalyst ones. Both the Crimson ReLive drivers and the Crimson ones had the black screen after windows logo. The Catalyst drivers let me go to the windows logon screen and let me log in but they were many tears on the screen. Some tears were kind of colourful, I just noticed. So I think I did see the pink and green dots and other colours. What does this mean?

Anyway, if there is no other solution, then I have to buy a new graphic card. I am going to wait until tomorrow for responses and after that, there are no solutions, then I'll research into getting a new video card.

if it looks like below pic, your graphics cards is as good as dead and you need a new one

15+ Year Old Account
    I can't test it on any computer. My dad's new computer is under warranty so I can't open it. My brother's computer is moderately new so I can't open that. The old computers are missing components so it's pointless to use that.

I did get some suggestions from my brother. He is a computer debugger or something to do with quality assurance. He did computer engineering in Uni.
    Anyway, he suggested to try the old drivers and see if they work. I remember being on the catalyst version and not the crimson one. So I'll try those ones. I don't remember the exact version I had before the black screen started happening unfortunately. But anyway, I'll test those versions and let you know.

- - - Updated - - -

Well. I tested MANY of the Crimson ReLive drivers, the Crimson drivers and the Catalyst ones. Both the Crimson ReLive drivers and the Crimson ones had the black screen after windows logo. The Catalyst drivers let me go to the windows logon screen and let me log in but they were many tears on the screen. Some tears were kind of colourful, I just noticed. So I think I did see the pink and green dots and other colours. What does this mean?

Anyway, if there is no other solution, then I have to buy a new graphic card. I am going to wait until tomorrow for responses and after that, there are no solutions, then I'll research into getting a new video card.
    Like I said before... show me.

But so far it does sound exactly what I thought it was.

Also whilst you're in Windows (if you can do anything) .. load up a programme like MSI afterburner and show me the GPU's temps.
    And if the tearing goes away if you set the fan to 100% speed with it as well.

Like I said before... show me.

But so far it does sound exactly what I thought it was.

Also whilst you're in Windows (if you can do anything) .. load up a programme like MSI afterburner and show me the GPU's temps.
    And if the tearing goes away if you set the fan to 100% speed with it as well.
    https://ibb.co/gnmJPv
    Here you go. Forgot that you asked me that. There is flickering as well. Like the lines are flickering. Also, the lines have some colour in them. Like a rainbow of colours, can't specify which colours.

I can't go into windows normally in the first place so I can't use afterburner in it. I can go into safe mode, which is the only way I can get into windows to uninstall the video card driver. I don't think running afterburner in safe mode is going to work, is it? I can't see the device status for it in safe mode either through device manager. It says that that status is unavailable while in safe mode.

15+ Year Old Account
    https://ibb.co/gnmJPv
    Here you go. Forgot that you asked me that. There is flickering as well. Like the lines are flickering. Also, the lines have some colour in them. Like a rainbow of colours, can't specify which colours.

I can't go into windows normally in the first place so I can't use afterburner in it. I can go into safe mode, which is the only way I can get into windows to uninstall the video card driver. I don't think running afterburner in safe mode is going to work, is it? I can't see the device status for it in safe mode either through device manager. It says that that status is unavailable while in safe mode.
    Yeah that looks like a dying card to me.

What you can try is remove the cooler and clean it, clean the GPU from the current thermal paste and re-apply some new thermal paste.
    See if that changes anything or not, other than that you're basically screwed... time to pucker up for a new card if you cannot/will not do the thermal paste swap.

In which case the follow-up is: What budget and what exact games and possible future games?

ooh that picture reminds me of my old 8800 GT when it was on its last legs.. is it safe to bake a 7870 in the oven? :P

Yeah that looks like a dying card to me.

What you can try is remove the cooler and clean it, clean the GPU from the current thermal paste and re-apply some new thermal paste.
    See if that changes anything or not, other than that you're basically screwed... time to pucker up for a new card if you cannot/will not do the thermal paste swap.

In which case the follow-up is: What budget and what exact games and possible future games?
    I have no clue how to do all that lol, let alone where the thermal paste and cooler are.

I have been meaning to buy a new video card for a few months now. But I was told to wait for a bit for the next generation of video cards for AMD and/or Nvidia.

My budget is between $300-$400 CAN.
    I'll be playing mostly WoW/D3/SC2/SWTOR/Minecraft.
    I would like to play on Ultra settings with 60 FPS while out in the world in WoW like questing/leveling and that kind of stuff... Solo activities. I know in raids my FPS will dip low so that's not a concern for me.
    I'll be playing in 1920x1080 resolution.
    I don't mind whether it's Nvidia or AMD. I just want a video card that is within my budget and has the performance needed to play the games I want to play. Oh yeah. 6GB or 8GB ram for the video card preferably, just so it can last for another 5 years or almost that long.

I have no clue how to do all that lol, let alone where the thermal paste and cooler are.

I have been meaning to buy a new video card for a few months now. But I was told to wait for a bit for the next generation of video cards for AMD and/or Nvidia.

My budget is between $300-$400 CAN.
    I'll be playing mostly WoW/D3/SC2/SWTOR/Minecraft.
    I would like to play on Ultra settings with 60 FPS while out in the world in WoW like questing/leveling and that kind of stuff... Solo activities. I know in raids my FPS will dip low so that's not a concern for me.
    I'll be playing in 1920x1080 resolution.
    I don't mind whether it's Nvidia or AMD. I just want a video card that is within my budget and has the performance needed to play the games I want to play. Oh yeah. 6GB or 8GB ram for the video card preferably, just so it can last for another 5 years or almost that long.
    For those games, I would say a 1050ti would be more then adequate. However, it's well below your budget and only has 4GB RAM. It's really the best option IMO though.
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MF7EQJZ/?tag=pcp0f-20

You could also step up to a 1060, still be in budget and have the 6GB RAM:
    http://www.vuugo.com/evga-video-card...=5108053939762

I think the pricing on the 1060s is still a bit inflated though. Not sure it's worth the cost. Personally, I would grab the 1050ti since it's pretty cheap and just hang on to that until it can't handle what I throw at it anymore. Yeah, it might not last 5 years, but it might and it's far less expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    You could also step up to a 1060, still be in budget and have the 6GB RAM:
    http://www.vuugo.com/evga-video-card...=5108053939762

I think the pricing on the 1060s is still a bit inflated though. Not sure it's worth the cost. Personally, I would grab the 1050ti since it's pretty cheap and just hang on to that until it can't handle what I throw at it anymore. Yeah, it might not last 5 years, but it might and it's far less expensive.
    I'd go with the 1050ti. With your requirements, you're better off buying a budget card for 150 every 2 years, instead of a 300 card every 4 years. Same price in the same time, but your card won't start to feel long in the tooth at the back end. A lot of people make this mistake where they buy a $700 GPU and keep it for like 6 years, when a card half that price in half the time would perform better around year 5.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab