Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Do you trust reviews from "professiona gamingl sites" (IGN, Gamespot, etc)

I only trust them when the game is either indie or not very well known. I'm still kinda mad that IGN gave DOOM a 7.8.

The main problem with these kinds of sites is that you rarely know who's reviewing what. If you subscribe to a game reviewer like Total Biscuit, or Jim Sterling, etc, you know the tastes of said reviewer, and you get an idea of what kind of games that person likes. IGN and others have a lot "reviewers" in their sleeve, so you don't get to know each one individually as much as you'd like.

So, do you trust them, or not?

Edit: An extra L on gaming, an the L is missing on professional. Not on purpose. Sorry.
    Last edited by Lotus Victoria; 2017-08-14 at 04:42 AM.

No. I trust my own instinct and look at the game. If I want it then I buy it.

I read reviews but I certainly do not take their word as law.

I mean wccftech does some pretty good reviews on games but generally I use youtube to be the judge of the game that I will be playing in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    IGN and others have a lot "reviewers" in their sleeve, so you don't get to know each one individually as much as you'd like.
    IGN nor Gamespot has reviewers reviewing genres they don't like.

The person who reviews Persona 5 is not going to be asked to review Call of Duty.

This is why you either see a lot of high scores for games because they love it, or a lot of low scores for games because it didn't meet their expectations.

Oh, and I would take any on salary reviewer's word over youtubers who live off click bait but that's just me. End of the day an opinion is still an opinion and mine matters more to me then anyone else.

Deleted
    Knowing your own tastes is enough. Reviews can help you to find out if the game matches those.

I prefer crowdsourced reviews a'la Steam, where you can look at many different opinions and decide how much stock you want to put into them.

wtf is a professional gaming site

15+ Year Old Account
    I can't exactly trust anybody that would give god hand a 3 and skyward sword a 10. But further, I don't read reviews because I already know what games I like.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    IGN nor Gamespot has reviewers reviewing genres they don't like.

The person who reviews Persona 5 is not going to be asked to review Call of Duty.
    Actually there has been quite a few cases where people have done things outside of their genre and have been called on it when during the review they said lines like "so this isn't the type of game I usually play so..."

Considering so many write-ups from IGN 'reviewers', who have written concerning various Kingdom Hearts games, have been shown to reveal that they don't always seem to know much about the actual game series I have to say no I don't trust their reviews.

Although, like somebody else already mentioned, if I want a game I won't look for somebody else's approval/disapproval to play or to not play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to watch GameTrailers reviews for no particular reason other than they usually came out before the games came out, but they went out of business.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck no, they are in bed with the very companies they are supposed to be criticizing and political agendas. Their opinions are tainted and mean nothing.
    Last edited by The One Percent; 2017-08-14 at 05:07 AM.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

No. Many of them are just paid by the publisher for a positive review. I'll stick with watching random youtube videos to see how a game is.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    No trust in gaming sites in the pockets of publishers.
    Skim reviews on steam and perhaps find a Let's Play video. Sometimes TB or NL has one showcassing the game. Sticking to the type of games I like tho and when I see something that get's my interest I buy it or put it on the wish list. There's alot of garbage sponsored reviews.. Why not just invest in proper advertisement instead of trying to bamboozle everyone. Not cool.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are just paid up for positive reviews mostly and generally, don't trust them. Same on boat are curators on steam. I am the judge, jury and executioner about my opinions for games.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Actually there has been quite a few cases where people have done things outside of their genre and have been called on it when during the review they said lines like "so this isn't the type of game I usually play so..."
    Sounds like you're talking about random youtube reviewers and not gamespot/IGN. Prove it or don't make such statements.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    They are just paid up for positive reviews mostly
    Prove it champ.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kamov View Post
    No. Many of them are just paid by the publisher for a positive review. I'll stick with watching random youtube videos to see how a game is.
    Same as above... prove it.

Oh these threads are always great. "Paid reviews" are literally the biggest urban legend in the gaming industry and something that should not be perpetrated anymore in the era of social media.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    No trust in gaming sites in the pockets of publishers.
    Skim reviews on steam and perhaps find a Let's Play video. Sometimes TB or NL has one showcassing the game. Sticking to the type of games I like tho and when I see something that get's my interest I buy it or put it on the wish list. There's alot of garbage sponsored reviews.. Why not just invest in proper advertisement instead of trying to bamboozle everyone. Not cool.
    Hate to break it to you but TB and NL are in the same pocket as any gaming site. IE they get access to games for free, and get invited to events.

Unless we're yet again talking about the urban legend above.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I used to watch GameTrailers reviews for no particular reason other than they usually came out before the games came out, but they went out of business.
    Easy Allies is the team from Game Trailers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, they're often complete shit. I check steam reviews and the reddit for the game (if it has one). Zero Punctuation is the only thing I'll check on Youtube for games, the humor and sarcasm along with the overall negativity of it gives me some entertainment and a useful perspective on games; Zero Punctuation is my anti-hype.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Well seeing how IGN or one of those called SWTOR game of the year for the year it was released on the last week of December, it has been hard to swallow the shit they spoon feed. Luckily now you can test damn near any new game or see tons of footage before hand. Make your own choices and go from there.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Sounds like you're talking about random youtube reviewers and not gamespot/IGN. Prove it or don't make such statements.

- - - Updated - - -

Prove it champ.

- - - Updated - - -

Same as above... prove it.

Oh these threads are always great. "Paid reviews" are literally the biggest urban legend in the gaming industry and something that should not be perpetrated anymore in the era of social media.

- - - Updated - - -

Hate to break it to you but TB and NL are in the same pocket as any gaming site. IE they get access to games for free, and get invited to events.

Unless we're yet again talking about the urban legend above.

- - - Updated - - -

Easy Allies is the team from Game Trailers.
    http://www.ign.com/games/mass-effect-2

Do the Mass Effect 2 deserve such notes from IGN? Of course not. Game is great, no doubt but giving 9.6 by IGN and 9.5 by community is too high, and allowed for shit what happend with ME3 ending and ME:A shit this year. Personally i could give ME2 7.5/10 because got few issues like too long harvesting resources to upgrade Normandy. But it is your problem, that you buy every shit they tell you.

Not really. I just look for opinion pieces and raw feature lists in most articles or other forms of exposition.

Everyone hopefully knows that IGN is for all intends and purposes bought reviews in all but actual cash transfers.