Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Nice leading question. I'm not answering it.

Racism is systemic. White people, in North America at the very least, are not discriminated against and experience no systemic racism. They *might* experience isolated cases of it on a very personal level, but it is not societal and generally they can shut the fuck up about it.

Same re: sexism and women. Men do not experience sexism, and in this case, it applies to everywhere on this planet.

So Blizzard wanting to lift up women and minorities is the right move to combat systemic racism and sexism. If you hate that, fight for a world where said systemic racism and sexism does not exist. Because in 2017, we are nowhere near close to the ideal.
    It doesn't really matter if you want to answer it. What matters is that is it still racism/sexism. And I'm not quite sure how you think men do not experience sexism when you are supporting a sexist practice against them.

I know the noble intentions behind this are, but the fact of the matter is, two wrongs don't make a right. Racism is not going to be solved by more racism. In fact, it often just makes the problem worse than it was before.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Perhaps, but the rhetoric from the left tends to gloss over that. No one wants to advertise the "Help the white males get into college" initiative. No one wants to talk about the "socioeconomically underprivileged white male wage gap".

This is why those voters flocked to Trump and his, "Forgotten men and women" message. Because the left couldn't stop talking about how black women were making 68 cents on the dollar on average compared to white men and how they need our help and white men have it all and so on. All the people that are minimum wage workers or people with medical issues or just generally not doing well financially - who just happen to be white men - hear all that rhetoric and say, "What the fuck? I'm the problem? I'm the privileged one?" and go out and vote Trump.
    Oh I definitely agree. It's idiotic to employ a strategy that alienates and shames the majority, especially when said majority likely has nothing to do with essentially every argument they're creating. But the right isn't exactly sitting on clean hands. The right pushes another side of identity politics that has been engrained to American culture since America's inception--that those below them on the socioeconomic ladder, or those that are different, are the problem. Unfortunately, one side's strategy is more effective than the other despite little difference.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    WHat a load of bullshit. It is giving prefenrential treatment to them based on gender or race. If they had the same qaulifications it wouldn't really be an issue would it? The fact remains women do not tend to get IT related degrees. I work at a software devlopment company and any woman that applies almost gets offered a job so. When I was looking for a job before graduating I had a higher GPA, more work experience, better internships, and still didn't get jobs. While the women I knew all got offers from everywhere they applied. One is on her third job in 2 years. Hell even where I work 2 of the women in our office don't even have degrees and get put on the low knowledge jobs getting paid the same as I do with my degree. It should be the best person for the job, period.
    Oh please. Sorry, that isn't how the world works. You suddenly don't end up relocating to South Dakota because you were displaced by anyone That's like the guys who end up victims of the high turnover rate or ultra-selective hiring process at Amazon but end up working at some shit company in Spokane all the while blaming all of the potential equality hires. Heck, it's like the woman who claims A.A. stole her seat at U.T. Austin only to end at Louisiana State University.

Grow up and accept that somewhere in the mirror, something in you was weak and nothing you presented overcame said weakness. Maybe you were an old new grad. Maybe you didn't know as much as you claimed you do. Maybe your experience wasn't as great as you claim it is.

Realize that if you were a step behind another Amazon candidate, you would have been a Google, Microsoft, etc. candidate, not in the middle of Buttfucksville.

Feels like these ideas and goals are born out of very old viewpoints.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Sounds like they're putting effort into forming channels to reach female candidates better than before, widening the pool they can hire from. That's a good deal and doesn't undermine fair game for male candidates like hiring quotas would.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    You really think places are hiring less qualified women and minorities over more qualified people? Yeah, no one does that you're just victimizing yourself.
    I know they do. It's not opinion, it's fact. (I should clarify, they are hiring any and all women they can due to the low numbers of them in the field. There are tons of minority men, so they don't get special treatment)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by noipmahc-omm View Post
    You suddenly don't end up relocating to South Dakota because you were displaced by anyone
    I relocated to SD because that is where my job is based for now. I'm sorry to tell this but yeah, that is how the real world works. You might not see it, it's all over the IT industry. But please, continue making ignorant assumptions, it's fairly entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I know they do. It's not opinion, it's fact. (I should clarify, they are hiring any and all women they can due to the low numbers of them in the field. There are tons of minority men, so they don't get special treatment)

- - - Updated - - -

I relocated to SD because that is where my job is based for now. I'm sorry to tell this but yeah, that is how the real world works. You might not see it, it's all over the IT industry. But please, continue making ignorant assumptions, it's fairly entertaining.
    I've acknowledge the tech bias against the midwest/south before and they do have quite the validity. You know why they're biased towards people from tech hubs and against South Dakota? They know what to expect. Money pays for quality. Certain regions are indicative of desparation. Desparation is indicative of quality. Low pay, which is highly correlated to locality, is indicative of desparation. A company that is willing to move itself to South Dakota--and a employee that is willing to relocate to South Dakota--is very likely desparate.

Given that your choice of words for South Dakota is "stuck in South Dakota", I'm willing to bet my assumptions are right. Let me guess, you were in your thirties when you got your bachelor's and no one was hiring you? It's actually pretty common--it isn't something be ashamed of--and something that's grown with the popularity of CS and MOOCs/bootcamps.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I forgot to mention why your story stinks so much. Interns are practically dead weight. You hire them because you can identify who isn't going to be dead weight. Those who aren't dead weight or show promise typically come into agreement to sign on when they graduate. Even if you’re shop hopping, having good experiences will leave you in a good negotiation position. So, you should never end up “stuck” in the Dakota’s.

The real problem is other woman. Men tend to love geeky girls but it's the other non geeky girls who look down upon them which keeps more out.

Until you fix that nothing will change.

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    The real problem is other woman. Men tend to love geeky girls but it's the other non geeky girls who look down upon them which keeps more out.

Until you fix that nothing will change.
    And you think the geeky girls want to be around socially awkward nerds who don't know how to approach them, let alone people?

This is why they leave the tech field, because it becomes more and more shitty to deal with.

Giving positions to extremely under-qualified people and openly discriminating against white males for no reason other than they exist. No wonder Blizzard hasn't put out a decent game in 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by McTroll View Post
    And you think the geeky girls want to be around socially awkward nerds who don't know how to approach them, let alone people?

This is why they leave the tech field, because it becomes more and more shitty to deal with.
    So blame people for who they are? Yeah ok that makes perfect sense. Why don't you blame people for their race while your at it if you can just place blame for being who they are.

So blame people for who they are? Yeah ok that makes perfect sense. Why don't you blame people for their race while your at it if we can just place blame for being who they are.
    Oh, sure, ask a question and answer it right away in my stead. Never got why people do that.

Unless it's because my answer wouldn't satisfy your rhetoric? Hmm...

Oh, sure, ask a question and answer it right away in my stead. Never got why people do that.

Unless it's because my answer wouldn't satisfy your rhetoric? Hmm...
    You offered no solution besides calling people awkward nerds. So basically admitting there is nothing sinister going on and nothing that can be done to fix it.

Really amazing insight you have there.

You offered no solution besides calling people awkward nerds. So basically admitting there is nothing sinister going on and nothing that can be done to fix it.

Really amazing insight you have there.
    You asked me a question and answered in my stead. Plus, just like you're doing right now, you've put a bunch of words I never said in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    We need equal opportunity for all.
    Yes.

Buy instant level 100.
    Game Time -> Gold -> buy raid gear run

..., except the rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It always has interested me that in any social situation, people are eager to blame everything on "awkward guys" or whatever other stereotypes they've been taught.

Girls never, ever, ever have any social issues or attitude problems or anything else. Never, ever, ever. No sir. If they're having issues in a situation, it's because of a male somewhere.
    Geez, what's with you guys putting words in the mouths of people you don't see eye to eye with?

I'm talking about something that actually happens. It doesn't mean it never happens the other way around. You implied that, not me. But I can tell you, as someone in tech, I see a lot of guys just being awfully awkward when it comes to dealing with the few women in tech. It's shameful. Not saying the ladies are angels 100% of the time, but there is clearly a lack of knowledge when it comes to approach on that level.

Deleted
    Maybe they should work on removing the cultural norms that make people think that video games aren't for girls?

Hiring people who are underqualified because of the colour of there skin or genitals never works out well, see Mass Effect Andromeda.

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Maybe they should work on removing the cultural norms that make people think that video games aren't for girls?
    "Removing" the cultural norm? Those are not toggles you can switch, you know. It's gonna take a LOT of work.

Deleted
    "Removing" the cultural norm? Those are not toggles you can switch, you know. It's gonna take a LOT of work.
    So they should get started on that, instead of doing this.

Ultimately the purpose of a business is to make money, do they think they will earn a more diverse group of consumers because they hired minority/female developers?

People want to buy good games, hire the people who will make the best games.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    I think it's extremely important to hire women in story and design roles, even if not qualified. That type of diversity should be increased whatever the cost.

I don't think it's important to promote diversity in programming roles.
    Exactly what makes this line of thinking problematic. This is not a meritocracy. This is not what we should strive for. We should strive for a landscape where there are zero barriers of entry for any applicant