Poll: Who?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    I think if Illidan was completely serious he'd fuck Arthas up really good.

I haven't read the Arthas novel, but in the W3 TFT cinematic they were pretty close, however Illidan used like no spells when he is a fucking beastly spell-caster and instead relied on his martial prowess, which is also top notch but still only used half his arsenal... He didn't even use Metamorphosis...

I don't think Arthas gained that much of a personal boost by putting on the Lich King helm, he was just granted full control over the Scourge and just a slight power boost.

Illidan on the other hand I believe improved significantly since then, by traveling through the Nether and through Legion, to the point when he can contain Sargeras himself.
    From the Novel : “Hello, Arthas.”
    Deep and sinister, the voice had changed, but not as much as the kaldorei’s body. It was still the
    same pale lavender hue, etched with the same tattoos and scarifications. But the legs, the wings, the
    horns…Arthas immediately understood what must have happened. So that was why Illidan had
    become so powerful.
    “You look different, Illidan. I guess the Skull of Gul’dan didn’t agree with you.”
    Illidan threw back his horned head. Dark, rich laughter rumbled from him. “On the contrary, I have
    never felt better. In a way, I suppose I should thank you for my present state, Arthas.”
    “Show your appreciation by stepping out of the way, then.” Arthas’s voice was suddenly cold, and
    there was no trace of humor in it. “The Frozen Throne is mine, demon. Step aside. Leave this world
    and never return. If you do, I’ll be waiting.”
    “We both have our masters, boy. Mine demands the destruction of the Frozen Throne. It would
    seem we are at odds,” Illidan replied, and lifted the weapon Arthas had fought once before. His
    powerful hands with their sharp black nails closed on the weapon’s center and he whirled it with grace
    and a deceptive casualness. Arthas knew a ripple of uncertainty at the display. He had just finished a
    fight with Kael’thas, and while he would have been the victor had not the elf, coward that he was,
    teleported out at the last instant, he had been taxed by the battle. There was no hint of weariness in
    Illidan’s bearing.
    Illidan’s smile grew as he noticed his enemy’s discomfiture. He allowed himself a moment more of
    uncannily masterful handling of the unusual, demonic weapon, then struck a position, settling in,
    preparing for combat. “It must be done!”
    “Your troops are either in pieces or part of my army.” Arthas drew Frostmourne. Its runes glowed
    brightly, and mist curled up from its hilt. Behind the blindfold, Illidan’s eyes—much brighter and more
    intensely green than he remembered—narrowed at the sight of the runeblade. If the demonicallychanged
    kaldorei had a powerful weapon, so too did Arthas. “You’ll end up one or the other.”
    “Doubtful,” Illidan sneered. “I am stronger than you know, and my master created yours! Come,
    pawn. I’ll dispatch the servant before I dispatch your pathetic—”

Arthas charged. Frostmourne glowed and hummed in his hands, as eager for Illidan’s death as he
    was. The elf did not seem at all startled by the sudden rush, and with the utmost ease lifted his doublebladed
    weapon to parry. Frostmourne had broken ancient and powerful swords before, but this time, it
    simply clanged and grated against the glowing green metal.
    Illidan gave him a smirk as he held his ground. Arthas again felt unease flicker through him. Illidan
    was indeed changed by absorbing the power of the Skull of Gul’dan; for one thing, he was physically
    much stronger than he had been. Illidan chuckled, a deep and ugly sound, then shoved forcefully. It
    was Arthas who was forced to fall back, dropping to one knee to defend himself as the demon bore
    down on him.
    “It is sweet to turn the tables thus,” Illidan growled. “I might just kill you quickly, death knight, if
    you give me a good fight.”
    Arthas didn’t waste breath on insults. He gritted his teeth and concentrated on battling back the
    blows that were being rained upon him. The weapon was a swirl of glowing green. He could feel the
    power of demonic energy radiating from it, just as he knew that Illidan could sense Frostmourne’s grim
    darkness.
    Suddenly Illidan was not there and Arthas lurched forward, his momentum taking him off balance.
    He heard a flapping sound and whirled to see Illidan overhead, his great, leathery wings creating a
    strong wind as he hovered out of reach.
    They eyed each other, Arthas catching his breath. He could see Illidan was not unaffected by the
    battle either. Sweat gleamed on the massive, lavender- hued torso. Arthas settled himself, Frostmourne
    at the ready for when Illidan would swoop in for a renewed assault.
    Then Illidan did something utterly unexpected. He laughed, shifted the weapon in his hands—and
    in a flurry of motion seemingly snapped it in two. Each powerful hand now held a single blade.
    “Behold the Twin Blades of Azzinoth,” Illidan gloated. He flew up higher, whirling the blades in
    his left and right hands, and Arthas realized that he favored neither one. “Two magnificent warglaives.
    They can be wielded as a single devastating weapon…or, as you see, as two. It was the favored weapon
    of a doomguard—a powerful demon captain whom I slew. Ten thousand years ago. How long have
    you fought with your pretty blade, human? How well do you know it?”
    The words were intended to unsettle the death knight. Instead, they invigorated him. Illidan might
    have had this admittedly powerful weapon for longer—but Frostmourne was bound to Arthas, and he
    to it. It was not a sword as much as an extension of himself. He had known it when he first had the
    vision of it, when he had just arrived in Northrend. He had been certain of the connection when he laid
    eyes upon it, waiting for him. And now he felt it surge in his hand, confirming their unity.
    The demon blades gleamed. Illidan dropped down on Arthas like a stone. Arthas cried out and
    countered, more certain of this blow than of any he had dealt with the runeblade before, swinging
    Frostmourne up underneath the descending demon. And as he knew must happen, he felt the sword
    bite deep into flesh. He pulled, drawing the gash across Illidan’s torso, and felt a deep satisfaction as
    the former kaldorei screamed in agony.
    And yet the bastard would not fall. Illidan’s wings beat erratically, still somehow keeping him aloft,
    and then before Arthas’s shocked gaze his body seemed to shift and darken…almost as if it was made of
    writhing black, purple, and green smoke.
    “This is what you have given me,” Illidan cried. His voice, bass to begin with, had somehow grown
    even deeper. Arthas felt it shiver along his bones. The demon’s eyes glowed fiercely in the swirling
    darkness that was his face. “This gift—this power. And it will destroy you!”
    A scream was torn from Arthas’s throat, and he fell again to his knees. Blazing green fire chased
    itself along his armor, seared his flesh, even dulled Frostmourne’s blue glow for a moment. Over the
    raw cry of his own torment he heard Illidan laughing. Again the fel fire cascaded over him and Arthas
    fell forward, gasping. But as the fire faded and he saw Illidan swooping in for the kill, he felt the
    ancient runeblade he still managed to grasp urge him to rally.
    Frostmourne was his, and he its, and so united, they were invincible.
    Just as Illidan lifted his blades for the kill, Arthas raised Frostmourne, thrusting upward with all his
    strength. He felt the blade connect, pierce flesh, strike deep.
    Illidan fell hard to the ground. Blood gushed from his bare torso, melting the snow around it with a
    slow hissing sound. His chest rose and fell in gasps. His vaunted twin blades were of no use now. One
    had been knocked from his grasp, the other lay in a hand that could not even curl around its hilt. Arthas
    got to his feet, his body still tingling with the remnants of the fel fire Illidan had hurled at him. He
    stared at him for a long moment, branding the sight into his mind. He thought about dealing the
    killing blow, but decided to let the merciless cold of the place do it for him. A greater need burned in
    him now, and he turned, lifting his eyes to the spire that towered above him.
    He swallowed hard and simply stood for a moment, knowing, without knowing how he knew it,
    that something was about to fundamentally change. Then he took a deep breath and entered the
    cavern."
    The TFT cinematic is not canon (it was before the release of the novel) , It was retconed in the novel (since the novel IS canon so)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Wrong. Read the book and stop spreading misinformation. Arthas won because he was quicker than Illidan and because of how powerful Frostmourne made him.

Yet we know who actually won the fight.
    Frostmourne moved itself , It has it's own soul according to the book ,"Frostmourne was his, and he its, and so united, they were invincible." ... It said it like that , If it hadn't then we would have had serious lore changes since Illidan would have killed Arthas and that would have meant no BC or WotLK
    Last edited by Reza2001; 2017-08-14 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reza2001 View Post
    Frostmourne moved itself , It has it's own soul according to the book , Frostmourne was Arthas and Arthas was Frostmourne ... It said it like that , If it hadn't then we would have serious lore change since Illidan would have killed Arthas
    "It was not a sword as much as an extension of himself."
    It's written right there. I don't get what you're trying to say.

"It was not a sword as much as an extension of himself."
    It's written right there. I don't get what you're trying to say.
    What i'm trying to say is , If Frostmourne hadn't "urged to rally" (Copy-Paste from novel) then Arthas wouldn't have raised Frostmourne and that would have been his death since Illidan was going for the kill at the same time

Wrong.
    (Yeah, don't bother elaborating or anyting)
    I'm simply stating what happened - hardly makes me wrong.

Read the book and stop spreading misinformation.
    I have, that's how I came to that conclusion.
    Last edited by Theoris; 2017-08-14 at 12:42 PM.

Well the Skull of Gul'dan is not that powerful (Compared to Frostmourne) ... It just had Raw Fel Power sucked into it + The knowledge of the most powerful mortal Warlock to has ever existed
    So...you take Illidan(who's already one of the most powerful sorcerers to ever exist) and you give him the power and knowledge of the most powerful mortal worlock to boot? Uh.....yeah. Then you throw in millennia of thinking/training/willpower into that mix.

I'll grant that Arthas+Lich King+Frostmourne is a retardedly powerful combo, but if it really came down to it, I think Illidan has more raw capability. The only way the Lich King wins is if Illidan does something stupid....exactly like he did in the novel.

But again, the power levels are so stupidly undefined. Both characters have plot armor, to a degree. It really just comes down to how the story is meant to turn out by the writers. Because if we really compare a guy who's been around for over 10k years with sorcery at that level....I really don't think the Lich King would stand a chance. He'd be nuked from orbit, so to speak.

Yet we know who actually won the fight.
    Like I said, plot armor. IIRC the fight from the book took place before Illidan or Arthas were at their full power, anyway.

What i'm trying to say is , If Frostmourne hadn't "urged to rally" (Copy-Paste from novel) then Arthas wouldn't have raised Frostmourne and that would have been his death since Illidan was going for the kill at the same time
    It doesn't make much sense to differentiate between Arthas and the sword though because as the book states "It was not a sword as much as an extension of himself." Saying that Frostmourne won the fight is like saying the skull of Gul'dan killed Gul'dan because it's what gave Illidan his juiced up powers in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theoris View Post
    (Yeah, don't bother elaborating or anyting)
    I'm simply stating what happened - hardly makes me wrong.

I have, that's how I came to that conclusion.
    You're not stating what happened. You're stating your interpretation of what happened. What actually happened was that Illidan wanted to deliver a killing blow and Arthas appearantly was quicker and stabbed him with Frostmourne. He won because he had armor and a big fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    So...you take Illidan(who's already one of the most powerful sorcerers to ever exist) and you give him the power and knowledge of the most powerful mortal worlock to boot? Uh.....yeah. Then you throw in millennia of thinking/training/willpower into that mix.

I'll grant that Arthas+Lich King+Frostmourne is a retardedly powerful combo, but if it really came down to it, I think Illidan has more raw capability. The only way the Lich King wins is if Illidan does something stupid....exactly like he did in the novel.

But again, the power levels are so stupidly undefined. Both characters have plot armor, to a degree. It really just comes down to how the story is meant to turn out by the writers. Because if we really compare a guy who's been around for over 10k years with sorcery at that level....I really don't think the Lich King would stand a chance. He'd be nuked from orbit, so to speak.

Like I said, plot armor. IIRC the fight from the book took place before Illidan or Arthas were at their full power, anyway.
    Perphaps I'm missing out on some information regarding Illidan but how did he increase in power after their last encounter?
    Arthas on the other hand became incredibly powerful once he placed the helm of domination on his head. You're of course right in saying that these fights are somehow influenced by each characters plot armor (and it's also written by Christie Golden). We also know that Arthas didn't even actively use magic at any point during the fight and just look at what the Lich King is capable of in other encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post

Very True , But since I'm a fan of both of them it's hard to decide who wins (or who is stronger as the OP asked) ... The Lich King is strong no doubt , He killed us with only one spell from frostmourne saying that he was toying with us the entire time , It only takes very huge raw light power to destroy ONLY his sword , With raw Fel/Arcane power from Illidan ? That's an entire different story
    Illidan can mix the 2 magic types (just like how med'an did , but since he is non-canon can't say illidan can do it too) for a stronger magic spell , But as far as I know the Lich King's armor (The Plate of Damned) Is nearly invulnerable to all type of damage

Deleted
    Who has more power? Illidan. Arthas is dead and corpses don't have much power unless reanimated. Which he isn't.

Back when both were alive, Arthas was stronger.

Deleted
    I'd say Illidan is stronger than Arthas based on what people have said is in the book, but the Lich King could probably dumpster Illidan, just like he did with us in ICC, and we were strong enough to beat Illidan in BLack Temple.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Considering Arthas completely fucking dead this should be an easy question for anyone who's not a moron.

If you wanted to argue about when Arthas was still alive, this should be "who had more power"
    Are you serious? How about you answer the question instead of arguing semantics.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it was an MMA match, Illidan wins in the later rounds via Kimura.

Since it's not the goddamn MMA and who's physically 'stronger' doesn't matter: Arthas wins just by being f*cking Arthas.. I don't how that would even be close given what we've seen in world.
    Last edited by Lulbalance; 2017-08-14 at 01:28 PM.

Well one is now dead so...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconja View Post
    I'd say Illidan is stronger than Arthas based on what people have said is in the book, but the Lich King could probably dumpster Illidan, just like he did with us in ICC, and we were strong enough to beat Illidan in BLack Temple.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you serious? How about you answer the question instead of arguing semantics.
    Being undead isn't semantics.. that's like an adult fighting a 5 year old kid and arguing afterward that the fact he's a child is 'semantics'.

Arthas the dk or Arthas the Lich King? The former was weaker in DBZ power level than Illidan but the latter was stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulbalance View Post
    Being undead isn't semantics.. that's like an adult fighting a 5 year old kid and arguing afterward that the fact he's a child is 'semantics'.
    But he wasn't talking about Undeath. He was making the point that the discussion is obsolete because Arthas is literally dead (not undead) which is either pretty retarded or a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Alright, since you're one of those people I mentioned.

Illidan, because he's still alive.
    We get it, you're a fun guy.
    Last edited by Nerovar; 2017-08-14 at 01:33 PM.

DK Arthas << Illidan
    LK Arthas >> Illidan

I will not be surprised if this continues, in the future, Illidan >> Any being born on Azeroth

Deleted
    if illidan had his cool warglaives he will have beaten him good, equally fight is equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconja View Post
    We didn't fight Illidan when he was at 100% though. According to the Illidan novel, the device he used to harvest souls in Auchidoun (for his Mardum/Argus portal) took a lot of his own energy/soul while he and his orcs were being attacked. Hence him being "weakened" when we fought him at the Black Temple. He didn't recover yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulbalance View Post
    That's not what he was saying though.

He's saying Illidan would win because Arthas is dead in-game, beaten, defeated, NOT undead, he's gone to the Shadowlands to face endless torture and agony for all eternity.

That's like saying Mike Tyson would beat Mohammed Ali in a fight because the latter is dead, AKA fucking stupid.

You have to be a special kind of idiot to not get that OP meant when both were still alive and at their peak. And in this case the person I responded to is just that.

- - - Updated - - -

But he wasn't talking about Undeath. He was making the point that the discussion is obsolete because Arthas is literally dead (not undead) which is either pretty retarded or a troll.

We get it, you're a fun guy.
    Eeeexactly this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dirk123 View Post
    We didn't fight Illidan when he was at 100% though. According to the Illidan novel, the device he used to harvest souls in Auchidoun (for his Mardum/Argus portal) took a lot of his own energy/soul while he and his orcs were being attacked. Hence him being "weakened" when we fought him at the Black Temple. He didn't recover yet.
    Oh I see, I was unaware to be honest, nevertheless when ya boi LK can do what no other boss has done before or since, I reckon he could probably beat Illidan.

You're not stating what happened. You're stating your interpretation of what happened. What actually happened was that Illidan wanted to deliver a killing blow and Arthas appearantly was quicker and stabbed him with Frostmourne.
    I suppose I should have elaborated (I suppose that makes us even). Instead of simply blasting Arthas with magic and finishing him off from a distance, Illidan opted to get close and personal and end it using his glaives. He underestimated Arthas' bond with Frostmourne, and he lost because of it.

Very True , But since I'm a fan of both of them it's hard to decide who wins (or who is stronger as the OP asked) ... The Lich King is strong no doubt , He killed us with only one spell from frostmourne saying that he was toying with us the entire time , It only takes very huge raw light power to destroy ONLY his sword , With raw Fel/Arcane power from Illidan ? That's an entire different story
    Illidan can mix the 2 magic types (just like how med'an did , but since he is non-canon can't say illidan can do it too) for a stronger magic spell , But as far as I know the Lich King's armor (The Plate of Damned) Is nearly invulnerable to all type of damage
    The armor the Lich King is currently wearing isn't the Plate of the Damned. It's unclear what actually happened to it, since there's no reference to it during the WoW timeline, and Arthas isn't wearing it during the events of WotLK.

As for the Lich King's power....you need to remember that the raid where he smacked everyone down with one hit was done at the heart of his power: The Frozen Throne. Try attacking Illidan at the height of his power where he has something like the Well of Eternity to draw upon, and see what happens. XD