Page 67 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    If you march with a Nazi, you are a Nazi.

The leftist logic ladies and gentlemen, utterly devoid of nuance.
    This is some funny shit right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    And it would appear they did act on their thoughts. The gentleman who got fired traveled 3000 miles to march with Nazis. His employer thought he did not want to have suc an employer working for him, so he acted on it.
    I meant people who hate X people, "acting" on their thoughts. Just because I despise X group of people, why should anyone care about that? It's not a crime until I actually... act on that thought.

Just because I (personally, I'd find it a waste of time for the aforementioned reason in my quoted comment) march with the KKK, doesn't mean I'm doing anything wrong.

Shows us what not to become.
    We've got that already. It's called History Books. Pick one up. Many have pictures.

Here. These are the things we should never become. Because we've been them already.

We don't need reruns to remember.

Shows us what not to become

Whereas the leftist alternative is to suppress speech and we will never know what is wrong or right because nobody is allowed to talk about it
    The hyperbole is hilarious. We had this discussion in the form of a world war. We won. They lost. There's no need for further discussion on the topic. It's a done deal.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Where did you get those draenei pictures?
    They are very... distracting...

The whole concept of democracy is "the will of the people".
    Or better said, the majority of the people that participate in a vote of some sorts.

If violent and hateful people are in the voting majority - then the democratic will of the people is to behave in such a manner.
    To silence any opinion, no matter how rare or potentially dangerous, is by its very nature anti-democratic.

A beautiful quote from Star Trek (The Drumhead episode):
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied – chains us all, irrevocably."
    Places.

Yes but democracy is also about the free exchange of ideas, ideals and opinions. I know what you mean but I don't think self-destruction is something that should be encouraged in a democracy. Democracy neede defending as it has been defended a multitude of times. It's not a tool with which the demagogues should be allowed to usurp for their own ends.
    At what point does the democracy's freedom of expression end so that democracy can be defended though? I mean if people really don't want democracy, they could indeed vote to end it. But if it's a 51% against 49% vote... The majority's oppression isn't something that democracy should be about.

Did I say that? Nope.

If you march with a Nazi, clearly being around Nazis is not a deal breaker, and you have no problem marching with them.

Nice try.
    Again, utterly devoid of nuance.

You can disagree with people and still have common ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    We've got that already. It's called History Books. Pick one up. Many have pictures.

We don't need reruns to remember.
    Just curious, do you consider everyone in that picture members of the KKK?

What's actually more interesting to me is how these people can all come out and gawk at a dead body like it's nothing, jesus christ nowadays people get freaked out when someone gets kicked off a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Just curious, do you consider everyone in that picture members of the KKK?

What's actually more interesting to me is how these people can all come out and gawk at a dead body like it's nothing, jesus christ nowadays people get freaked out when someone gets kicked off a plane.
    I could have picked a picture of the Klan. I chose one of common people who thought this was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I meant people who hate X people, "acting" on their thoughts. Just because I despise X group of people, why should anyone care about that? It's not a crime until I actually... act on that thought.

Just because I (personally, I'd find it a waste of time for the aforementioned reason in my quoted comment) march with the KKK, doesn't mean I'm doing anything wrong.
    Well, whether it is wrong is very subjective. I think most people would say that marching with the KKK and Nazis is wrong. Of course, that doesn't mean it should be illegal. A person should be free to do such things, but they are not free from the scrutiny of their choices.

At the end of the day, so long as government is staying out of it, and violence is not used, then things are working as I would like them to work. In the case of people being outed and fired, that is exactly how freedom of speech should work. Literally everyone who wanted was allowed to act freely.

Stop talking about nuance when some pages ago you said Charlottesville has entirely the result of the left. :eyeroll:

Quote Originally Posted by niil945 View Post
    The hyperbole is hilarious. We had this discussion in the form of a world war. We won. They lost. There's no need for further discussion on the topic. It's a done deal.
    That would be great if people actually cared about history.

Slave trade? Whitey's fault. Who cares that the people who sold slaves to Whitey were black and there were black slaver owners and the fact slaves still exist today.

The world war wasn't about right vs left, it was about Hitler wanting to colonise all of Europe. To add to that we had a world war just 20 years or so before about similar things and the only reason we've not had a third one is because of Nuclear weapons.

I don't think all of them did, but it's certainly a factor. When you create such a narrative where Nazis exist, there will be people to fill those roles.

What happened in CV over the weekend is entirely the fault of the political left. We've never seen such things happening in the last 8 or so years because people did their own thing and left each other alone, not sure what happened to trigger all this exactly but it sure as hell wasn't Nazis just deciding for themselves that the US wasn't white enough one day

I get this logic, it's just like how America brought 9/11 on itself. The muslims felt backed into a corner and with America's history of holding them down their only option was to become terrorists. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    Stop talking about nuance when some pages ago you said Charlottesville has entirely the result of the left. :eyeroll:
    Then give me examples of why Charlottesville happened? All those closet Nazis just waiting to murder all the non-white people when the time is right?

If you march with a Nazi, you are a Nazi.

The leftist logic ladies and gentlemen, utterly devoid of nuance.
    So what is your take on the matter? It seems that you believe marching in support of Nazis and white supremacists isn't actually supporting Nazis and white supremacists.

I can disagree with people, and still interact with them. But, if I march with Nazis, I shouldn't be surprised when someone points it out, and calls me a racist. That guy traveled almost 3000 miles to associate himself with exactly that. he didn't see too upset about being around Nazis and the KKK.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    I could have picked a picture of the Klan. I chose one of common people who thought this was fine.
    Well, I think we're coming at it from different angles. You make it sound like all these white people are fine with a black person hanging from a tree. I'm coming at it from the people in the picture are fine gawking at a dead body, period.

However, do you think that picture is what the KKK/White Nationalist's want it to become again? Because if that IS what they want, they are even dumber than I thought just at a logic level. It's the same as BLM thinking what they "do" is going to change anything.

Not going to happen, from either group.

Then give me examples of why Charlottesville happened? All those closet Nazis just waiting to murder all the non-white people when the time is right?
    Acting stupid is not a valid form of discussion and in case it's not an act, I don't have the nerve to provide you with examples a third grader could think of.

At the end of the day, so long as government is staying out of it, and violence is not used, then things are working as I would like them to work. In the case of people being outed and fired, that is exactly how freedom of speech should work. Literally everyone who wanted was allowed to act freely.
    TBF, the majority of states are "at will" employment, so getting fired for marching with the KKK is no different in the eyes of the law than getting fired because the guy simply didn't want you there anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I get this logic, it's just like how America brought 9/11 on itself. The muslims felt backed into a corner and with America's history of holding them down their only option was to become terrorists. Right?
    You have no idea how many people try and justify things like this and while it sounds ridiculous with the 0 context that you've presented it in, there are logical ways in which people have determined that 9/11 was as a result of US foreign policy and it's not completely dismissable.

Charlottesville happened, because the racists and white supremacists were empowered by Trump winning the White House. They finally felt like they could speak their minds in a more public setting, because "their" guy was in power.