Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    the mermaid myths do come from the greeks and stuff, right?

idk though, she's obviously not asian in the movie, and her father looks more mediterranean than arielle does. ideally, i'd get a red haired italian woman to play the part.

So on the one hand you people did this to yourself by getting so involved in who is cast in what roll. Only wanting certain ethnic groups to portray certain ethnic groups when the whole idea of acting isnt about the actual actor but the character they portray. So you brought this on yourselves in the sense that when you complain about white actors being cast in middle eastern films or chinese films you also get blowback where white looking characters are being portrayed by non whites. It works both ways. When i was a kid i was in a school play. If i remember right there were 3 kids i was one of them. One played by a white girl, another a white guy, and i was a black guy. Yet we were all playing kids from the same family. Our teacher choose us 3 because we were 3 of the better singers in the class, this was like when i was 5 or so years old. No one had a problem with it then and you shouldnt have a problem with it now.

In movies its a little different you cant really have a black guy play a white person and have the audience believe its a white person without alot of makeup. In stage plays its sooooo common for people of different races to be playing all sorts of roles. But again, you guys started this whole thing so now your getting backlash you didnt expect and now this poor woman is getting flak for it. Shame on you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    It's a play version that isn't being seen everywhere. It's not a movie.
    OK then why the thread?

My sister just took my little niece to see a Paw Patrol play and most of the actors in dog suits was multicultural!

Quote Originally Posted by Skayth View Post
    No the term you would be looking for would technically be diversity washing.

I'm all for diversity. It's what ever. But when people bitch about the exact same thing the other side of the coin is bitching about... well then both sides need to realize they are both fucking hypocrits. So what if an Asian is playing a white mermaid. So what if a white is playing an Asian robot.

This garbage needs to fucking stop. The best person who is up for the position should get it, regardless of gender or race. Only hypocrits FORCE diversity or standardization. Maybe I want to see a male Asian Arielle trying to get that sweet male straight (but totes not) eric booty. It would not matter to me, as long as the actors and actresses could pull it off.

The cringe in the comments of that article. The hypocrisy. =.=
    I mean there is a certain limit to this idea though. I wouldn't expect a white person to play a slave in Roots. I wouldn't expect a black person to play George Washington. I wouldn't expect a Middle Eastern man with a beard to play Mulan. Those cases, the person's background is inherent to the role.

I would imagine that people who are defending the casting on social media would probably be up in arms if Sebastian was played by a white man though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by trrujkgklg View Post
    OK then why the thread?

My sister just took my little niece to see a Paw Patrol play and most of the actors in dog suits was multicultural!
    Why are half of the threads on here? I mean have you seen the nonsense Tennisace posts?

Meh, as long as she was legit the best for the role and not to fill some SJWs wet dream, it's proably fine. I do prefer races to stay the way the original creators intended, as no one in their right mind would think Ariel is an asian when watching the cartoon, but it's not the end of the world, especially since it's some random stage play.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post

Why are half of the threads on here? I mean have you seen the nonsense Tennisace posts?
    Sadly yes I even had a conversation with her not long ago privately!

Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    Meh, as long as she was legit the best for the role and not to fill some SJWs wet dream, it's proably fine. I do prefer races to stay the way the original creators intended, as no one in their right mind would think Ariel is an asian when watching the cartoon, but it's not the end of the world, especially since it's some random stage play.
    TBH you can't really even tell unless you're in the front row(unless they do parts in the crowd which I don't know). The pictures are literally zoomed in. If you were really there watching it, the make up and lights make her indistinguishable. I do agree that if it was just for the sake of "diversity" it is disgusting if there were better singers/actors, but if she was the best for the part it's fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Can we all agree random people complaining on social media is not a valid reason for a news article or a thread?
    Oh how much better the world would be if we started doing that.

It's like we went back in time, back when we had fools on town squares and market squares shouting at things that frustrated them. But now on a world scale.

The play has been running for 10 years? It's had a bunch of Arials.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    the mermaid myths do come from the greeks and stuff, right?

idk though, she's obviously not asian in the movie, and her father looks more mediterranean than arielle does. ideally, i'd get a red haired italian woman to play the part.
    Are there even Italians with natural red hair?

10+ Year Old Account
    What a bunch of fucking losers, she's more than fine for the role.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

We all know Ariel was a white supremacist. Can't have non white playing her

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    The racists feeling like they're more accepted need to learn their lesson I suppose.

Can bet they didn't bitch and moan about Ghost in the Shell's casting... In fact, they probably shoot down any complaints about "white-washing" as soon as they can, being the "anti-SJW"-SJW's that they are.

Edit; That woman is beautiful.
    i did complain about the ghost in the shell casting, until i learned that the character uses different bodies and is only originally japanese(and thought to be male).

i also complained about whites playing egyptians in that movie about the egyptian gods.

I'm guessing it's either racism or a reaction to how whitewashing is always bitched about in pop culture media. Can't imagine how this would bother anyone otherwise.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Are there even Italians with natural red hair?
    probably some sicilian people.

Who is virtue signaling? Is this a new buzzword?

people that are complaining probably doesnt even go to broadway plays. just random people that gets outraged on the internet.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Why does the author's origins equate to his character's origins?
    Same as Brother Grimm's tales: they were told from a european point of view. the areas may be far and wide across the landscape, but still not foreign to the recipients, same as the protagonists. And there is even a mermaid statue dedicated to the tale by H.C. Andersen in danmark's capital. Now guess what she lookes like ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Li...rmaid_(statue)

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Can we all agree random people complaining on social media is not a valid reason for a news article or a thread?
    While I agree, I don't think we can ALL agree.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    I'm still not understanding your point. The argument that "The author is from this area therefore a character he writes about is from this area" makes zero fucking sense.
    Little Mermaid was written as a tale for danish children; of course Andersen did not set the plot far away in asia or africa or america or australia.
    Last edited by ranzino; 2017-08-14 at 08:06 PM.