Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    0/10 play the lead wasn't even a real mermaid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zequill View Post
    A occidental mermaid played by an Asian and an oriental android played by an American. If both get slammed then I'm all for it.
    Right? I never saw ghost in the shell ... i used to watch the anime though. i thought the laughing man was the shit

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as they don't get rid of her red hair I could care less.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Why not just be upfront and say her bust wasn't big enough?
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by McTroll View Post
    What virtue does it signal? Common sense? Keep in mind we're talking about mermaids here.
    I dunno, mostly the term "virtue-signalling" is itself a form of virtue-signalling letting various folks know they are on the same side against the SJWs, but in this case you seem to be taking the SJW side and saying that an Asian actress is an okay choice for a Danish character. In similar cases (for example Valkyrie and Heimdall in Marvel's Thor being portrayed by non-white actors) people supporting the choice have been accused of "virtue-signalling," I assume the same thing is happening here.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Little Mermaid was written as a tale for danish children; of course Andersen did not set the plot far away in asia or africa or america or australia.
    He also didn't live underwater so this point is non sense. people can write story's without them being about the area they are from.

While the story is of Danish origin, it is still a damn mermaid we are talking about. I don't think it said anywhere that is was a danish/European mermaid anywhere. And even if it did, who cares? The race of the one playing the little mermaid has no negative impact on the original integrity of the story at all. Heck if we wanted to get mad at anyone, it should be Disney for taking so much liberty with the story when they adapted it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    People complain about white-washing, so this must be asian-washing? Is that a thing?
    Sure. The Full Metal Alchemist movie was Asian washed, lol.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Tanaka phrased her response in the form of two questions and a terse statement: "1. Can she sing? 2. Can she dance? 3. It's a friggin' mermaid."

Casale said he attributed the blowback over Huey's casting in the role to a vocal minority who feel increasingly emboldened to express racist ideas.

Japanese girl playing Arial. Little Asian girls are really happy, nobody else cares except for like a dozen people who think the job should've went to a white girl.

On the 1 to 10 scale of "big deals" this is about a 0.01.
    If people can complain that Iron Fist casting was racist because only asians can do martial arts then nothing surprises me at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by lewdest View Post
    You do realize you're making a big deal over people nitpicking a character in a movie no one will care about or remember 10 minutes after it leaves theatres, right? How was that Beauty and the Beast live action remake? LOL
    Uhm that Beauty and the Beast live action remake is the 10th highest grossing movie of all time...

Deleted
    What a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somebody will always complain about something and there will always be a writer there to run the smallest of stories for ad space.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I dunno, mostly the term "virtue-signalling" is itself a form of virtue-signalling letting various folks know they are on the same side against the SJWs, but in this case you seem to be taking the SJW side and saying that an Asian actress is an okay choice for a Danish character. In similar cases (for example Valkyrie and Heimdall in Marvel's Thor being portrayed by non-white actors) people supporting the choice have been accused of "virtue-signalling," I assume the same thing is happening here.
    Then aren't you doing the exact same thing by "putting me in my place"? Just to demonstrate that you're "better than someone else"? By the way, answering "no" could also be interpreted as that too, if we go with your line of reasoning.

That street goes both ways, as you pointed out. And sometimes more ways than just two if we go crazy with that "concept".

Quote Originally Posted by JQuill View Post
    Uhm that Beauty and the Beast live action remake is the 10th highest grossing movie of all time...
    adjust for inflation?

i mean give it 5-10 years every movie will be making billions because of inflation.

Watching Hollywood destroy itself is quite fitting. PC culture is societal cancer.

It was stupid when people complained about apropriation when Ghost in the shell was shot, or the Iron Fist.
    It is as stupid now when people complain about the fact that a japanese girl will play the mermaid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    Watching Hollywood destroy itself is quite fitting. PC culture is societal cancer.
    Hollywood is destroying itself because a Broadway show cast an Asian actress? What the hell does this have to do with anything in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by McTroll View Post
    Then aren't you doing the exact same thing by "putting me in my place"? Just to demonstrate that you're "better than someone else"? By the way, answering "no" could also be interpreted as that too, if we go with your line of reasoning.

That street goes both ways, as you pointed out. And sometimes more ways than just two if we go crazy with that "concept".
    Damn, you feel put in your place? Awesome, usually pointing out someone's flaws in an internet discussion just causes them to double-down. It feels extra good as I was mostly just trying to point out what a nonsense phrase "virtue-signalling" is, and you also seem to have grasped that too.

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    That's where you fail. It's a tale written by Hans Christian Andersen from Danmark and therefore situated in an european scenario. Political correctness may be open for any ethnic heritage, but technically by default Arielle is indeed far from being japanese.
    She's a mermaid. A fucking mermaid. By your logic she should be Greek/Mediterranean because that's the part of the world that had "Atlantis".

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    She's a mermaid. A fucking mermaid. By your logic she should be Greek/Mediterranean because that's the part of the world that had "Atlantis".
    depends on the "storyboard". Disney's Arielle is not a perfect "H.C. Andersen mermaid", the studio took several liberties with the plot. Not mediterran by default, as atlantis is not part of the story.

What is the big problem here with "original mermaid by the book is not japanese/asian" ? it was a european idea and meant to be set in their usual waters. not caribbean, not in the chinese sea, not gulf of aden or bay of bengal. so what ?