Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Texas police chief kicked out of doctor's office for carrying service firearm

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/13...rying-gun.html

Has the CoP and the right to bear arms gone too far? Or was that clinic too paranoid on the matter?

Assuming that the clinic is private property, I don't see what the problem is here. The clinic was well within its right to ask that the man not bring his firearm into the premises.

He was visiting for an appointment, meaning that he was not there on official business of his department. If he had been called there to act in a capacity to enforce the law, then it would have been a different story; a gun is part of a professional police officer's toolkit and should be brought along when acting in official capacity. It doesn't need to be there when he's off duty.

I don't know any of the legalities involved but the clinic was definitely being paranoid. Do they really believe an off duty cop with his service gun was going to be a threat? I think they were just making an Antigun statement for the sake of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the clinic was being petty. I can see them doing that to a private citizen, but an officer? On the clock or not. He had his badge, checked in, etc. Why be difficult? Its nothing but a power move or someone who was untrained. I can see if they asked him to remove it and set it aside while actually examining him.

His statement is upstanding though.

"These people have the right to do what they did and refuse my service," the police officer said. "Legally, they can ask me to leave because I'm not there on official business."
    In otherwise, what they did was bullshit but he respects their right to do it.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Nasukkin View Post
    Assuming that the clinic is private property, I don't see what the problem is here. The clinic was well within its right to ask that the man not bring his firearm into the premises.

He was visiting for an appointment, meaning that he was not there on official business of his department. If he had been called there to act in a capacity to enforce the law, then it would have been a different story; a gun is part of a professional police officer's toolkit and should be brought along when acting in official capacity. It doesn't need to be there when he's off duty.
    An appointment could have been official business if the reason he was there had anything to do with workmans compensation which depending on the state, your visits are considered work time. If that was the case, private business or not, they were in the wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I think the clinic was being petty. I can see them doing that to a private citizen, but an officer? On the clock or not. He had his badge, checked in, etc. Why be difficult? Its nothing but a power move or someone who was untrained. I can see if they asked him to remove it and set it aside while actually examining him.

His statement is upstanding though.

In otherwise, what they did was bullshit but he respects their right to do it.
    I don't think what they did was bullshit at all, but I do kind of admire the police officer for getting it with dignity and grace. Kudos to him.

Quote Originally Posted by McTroll View Post

Has the CoP and the right to bear arms gone too far? Or was that clinic too paranoid on the matter?
    Stupid of the clinic.

Deleted
    Seems a rather tame story, clinic made a mistake in turning away an officer because of rules, that they should likely have forgone on the premise of a police officer. Both the clinic and the officer seem to have come to terms with the situation.

Also I have to admit, the comments on that story are freaking amazing, makes MMOC look sane

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    That clinic might think better of it when they actually need the police and the police take a good bit of time to show up.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    I don't know any of the legalities involved but the clinic was definitely being paranoid. Do they really believe an off duty cop with his service gun was going to be a threat? I think they were just making an Antigun statement for the sake of it.
    Agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    That clinic might think better of it when they actually need the police and the police take a good bit of time to show up.
    Police better think better of it before they do that and get themselves in prison.

10+ Year Old Account
    In Texas, private businesses are allowed to forbid guns as long as they show a certain sign that follows regulations. If that sign is shown, they are legally allowed to kick people out for having a gun. On duty officers being the exception because its their job. If they pick and choose who they allow to have guns without a direct need of said gun (see: on duty cop), then they cant really kick people out for having a gun. Gotta be all or nothing, keep it consistent.

So this is a whole lot of nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by McTroll View Post

Clinic was following policy. This guy can be without his gun for 30 minutes. The real "paranoid" one is the cop who thinks he needs a gun to go to a doctor's appointment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a pretty insignificant story. The cop doesn't seem upset and the establishment apologized.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    You could say the off-duty cop was making a pro-gun statement for the sake of it. WTF do you need a handgun for in a Dr.'s office - is he paranoid?

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    You could say the off-duty cop was making a pro-gun statement for the sake of it. WTF do you need a handgun for in a Dr.'s office - is he paranoid?
    I assume there's a large amount of off duty cops who keep their gun with them in case an incident occurs. You could say he shld leave it in the car but I've read plenty of people on this site who say that leaving a gun unsecured in the car is dangerous. Why do any civilians need to carry? I think that's the question you are really asking.

Guys, cops are cops on duty or off. If something happens they're expected to jump into action and not say "I'm off the clock" call someone else.

And why he feels he needs a gun in a doctors office? Because no where is sacred to deranged criminals, did you forget the gruntled employee at the NYC hospital who shot 7 people? Shit can go down anywhere at any time and you want to remove guns from the one person who should really be carrying it because he's off duty?

Maybe he does not want his patients being uncomfortable,

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebuddy View Post
    Guys, cops are cops on duty or off. If something happens they're expected to jump into action and not say "I'm off the clock" call someone else.

And why he feels he needs a gun in a doctors office? Because no where is sacred to deranged criminals, did you forget the gruntled employee at the NYC hospital who shot 7 people? Shit can go down anywhere at any time and you want to remove guns from the one person who should really be carrying it because he's off duty?
    Yeah, you can hit the lottery too if you wait long enough...maybe. But most likely never.

It's a bullshit argument, the same one used for illegal spying on Americans because "turruurrism!1". Sorry but in a free society you cannot have 100% safety and security unless you like militarized police states. That's part of the cost of having that freedom.

I doubt anyone in their right minds are worried about "deranged criminals" when they go to see their doctors. Sounds like this guy is just another insecure ego freak that likes to impress people with his "authoritaaah" and handgun dickwaving.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterBeast View Post
    Maybe he does not want his patients being uncomfortable,
    If the sight of someone exercising their rights make someone uncomfortable, that's their problem. Especially in texas and on an officer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Yeah, you can hit the lottery too if you wait long enough...maybe. But most likely never.

It's a bullshit argument, the same one used for illegal spying on Americans because "turruurrism!1". Sorry but in a free society you cannot have 100% safety and security unless you like militarized police states. That's part of the cost of having that freedom.

I doubt anyone in their right minds are worried about "deranged criminals" when they go to see their doctors. Sounds like this guy is just another insecure ego freak that likes to impress people with his "authoritaaah" and handgun dickwaving.
    Aren't you being an "insecure ego freak" by being afraid of a gun being used constitutionally and demanding that no one carries them in public because of your feelings?