Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    If the sight of someone exercising their rights make someone uncomfortable, that's their problem. Especially in texas and on an officer.
    In Texas, private property rights are just as sacred, and Texas allows for this kind of thing. A doctor wont get full info if a patient isnt comfortable, so to a doctor that is his highest priority, not whether someone can wield a gun cause "mah raights", which even Texas allows discrimination against by private property owners.

15+ Year Old Account
    I only think it's the clinic's fault if he was on duty which I think all cops should have their guns when they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I only think it's the clinic's fault if he was on duty which I think all cops should have their guns when they are.
    What do you mean "if he was on duty"? Didn't you fucking read before you posted?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    What do you mean "if he was on duty"? Didn't you fucking read before you posted?
    A little, but I don't care a whole lot about this. You don't have to be so mean.

A gun has no place in a clinic, and I can see people feeling uncomfortable with the situation. The chances of him shooting up the place is as low as some random deranged guy running in, and the cop needing to shoot him. Unless the officer was there on official duty, which he was not, then he should not have brought his gun in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebuddy View Post
    Guys, cops are cops on duty or off. If something happens they're expected to jump into action and not say "I'm off the clock" call someone else.

And why he feels he needs a gun in a doctors office? Because no where is sacred to deranged criminals, did you forget the gruntled employee at the NYC hospital who shot 7 people? Shit can go down anywhere at any time and you want to remove guns from the one person who should really be carrying it because he's off duty?
    What about the off duty police officer that shot his wife dead in front of their daughter in the middle of the street at 11:30am in New Jersey? You can take anecdotes from either side of the issue. That's why the law allows private businesses to make their own decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    In Texas, private property rights are just as sacred, and Texas allows for this kind of thing. A doctor wont get full info if a patient isnt comfortable, so to a doctor that is his highest priority, not whether someone can wield a gun cause "mah raights", which even Texas allows discrimination against by private property owners.
    Im not arguing against the legality of it. If thats the law then thats fine with me. Im just saying being uncomfortable because a gun in texas on a police officer is pretty ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im not arguing against the legality of it. If thats the law then thats fine with me. Im just saying being uncomfortable because a gun in texas on a police officer is pretty ridiculous.
    As someone who actually recently have a sheriff come into her room in a clinic to take a report (cat bite and I live just outside city limits), its really the gun more than anything else that causes uneasiness. Like he was obv on duty and a cop, and trustworthy, but i still felt a bit uneasy about a gun while I'm laid up in a doctor's office. Its kind of hard to explain, because I dont have the same uneasiness outside.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.

Aren't you being an "insecure ego freak" by being afraid of a gun being used constitutionally and demanding that no one carries them in public because of your feelings?
    That's false equivalency. It's simply inappropriate behavior in the context and place. It's like bringing a banjo to a job interview or a hunting knife to a kids birthday party - not illegal but it looks pretty goddamned stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    So everyone agrees this was totally legal and the cop agrees the office was within its rights.

Okay....how is this news?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

7+ Year Old Account
    If the sight of someone exercising their rights make someone uncomfortable, that's their problem. Especially in texas and on an officer.
    Yeah..especially in Texas.

I mean, shit, if I ever go to Texas, I would assume 90% of people are packing heat. Wouldn't bother me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    That's false equivalency. It's simply inappropriate behavior in the context and place. It's like bringing a banjo to a job interview or a hunting knife to a kids birthday party - not illegal but it looks pretty goddamned stupid.
    Why do cops even have guns? Its so rare that they will ever need to use them, that they should just not have em.

Why do people even buy lottery tickets? Its so rare that you will win that no one should even buy them.

The point is, off duty officers carry a gun because something might happen. Just because its super rare doesnt mean it never happens. When it does happen, im guessing the people in the area are extremely grateful that the officer was there and had his gun on him.

Idk where you live so its probably not commonplace for you, but around here, seeing a gun isnt scary at all. Its normal. Most people i know who carry, forget they even have them on them. I know that probably sounds strange to you, but thats how it is here. I highly doubt he took his gun, thought to himself "im gonna make such a big statement by carrying this in here!!!" and then walked in. He probably always has it on him, forgot, and just walked in to get a checkup. When asked to leave he said somethign along the lines of "oh shit my bad", and took it off. Then for some reason this is a news story that we are debating about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    As someone who actually recently have a sheriff come into her room in a clinic to take a report (cat bite and I live just outside city limits), its really the gun more than anything else that causes uneasiness. Like he was obv on duty and a cop, and trustworthy, but i still felt a bit uneasy about a gun while I'm laid up in a doctor's office. Its kind of hard to explain, because I dont have the same uneasiness outside.
    Thats fine but thats still a "you" issue. I've never been afraid of guns so i guess i just dont understand. I honestly think more people need to be around them and then they would be less taboo.

Nothing paranoid or petty about a doctor not allowing firearms or other weapons in the office, no matter who it is.

It's not uncommon for patients to blame the doctor for their misery, and violent outbreaks are not uncommon either. And last time I checked police officers are still humans.

Why is the officer so pissed off? Doctor's offices often do not want firearms within the premises. Being a police officer does not really change anything. They did not tell him to remove it, because he's an officer, they told him to remove it, because it's a firearm on their property.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Because you shouldn't sacrifice freedom from a police state in a free society for "security". If you don't understand that concept then there's nothing more to say.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
    Last edited by Caolela; 2017-08-14 at 08:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    I don't think what they did was bullshit at all, but I do kind of admire the police officer for getting it with dignity and grace. Kudos to him.
    Precisely this.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Because you shouldn't sacrifice freedom from a police state in a free society for "security". If you don't understand that concept then there's nothing more to say.

I feel like you have that backwards though. You are saying no one should carry a gun because theres no need to. If i want to carry a gun for my security, because i dont believe the "police state" will protect me, how is that giving up freedom?

You sound like you want to ban guns because you dont like them. Ban them to increase your "freedom" by taking away my freedom to carry.

Being uncomfortable, because someone is exercising his property rights is ridiculous... especially for an officer.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    He wasn't kicked out they aske him to put his gun in his car an when he refused they asked him to leave. That's not re same as kicking him out and God forbbid some one not want guns around there work place rather he is a cop or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Being uncomfortable, because someone is exercising his property rights,is ridiculous... especially for an officer.
    Im really not seeing how the officer was "uncomfortable" though? He initially refused, but then he did say they have the right to refuse his service. Being uncomfortable would be making a scene and having on duty police officers called to the area to diffuse it.