Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    I'm not sure I would be willing to take that chance with my firearms, granted it's better than some who put their riffles in a rack in their trucks and then go into store.

A vehicle gun safe can range from $50 to $200 a small fee to dissuade other from stealing it.
    Also have to consider the cost if you try to get it installed in the interior to be more hidden. I'd get one of I had the extra cash but it would just sit under my back seat basically

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Some cars do have safes in them but a glove box works fine since the chances of your car being broken into are slim.
    i'm guessing an offduty police chief will be more likely to have a gun safe installed in their car/truck than most.

regardless of clinic policy, there could be insurance and/or safety concerns that established that policy. in this case its not *just* if the bearer of the weapon might pose a danger, its if the weapon might pose an accidental risk that could have been avoided in the first place.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Maybe you should go back and read my post again.
    Oh your right I miss read it my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    So I you see one of those a morons who walk around in camo with a rifle in there arms you shouldn't feel uncomfortable just cause they have a right to do so? Doesn't seem ridiculous at all to be wary of some one caring around a deadly weapon no matter what there rights are.
    There is a difference between carrying around a long rifle to be a troll exercising their right, and an off-duty officer carrying a firearm. Especially if they are a Chief, its almost dumb for them not to carry. Maybe he should have done conceal carry instead of open carry, but people also shouldn't be so sheltered the very sight of a legal gun owner having a gun scares them. You might be surprised at some area's at how many people around you might be carrying.

I go to a hobby shop to play card/board/miniature games and at any time there can be up to 6 people in the shop(that I know of) that are conceal carrying, and the average person doesn't even know. Everyone else that knows either carrier themselves, former carrier, or just know them really well. Most are also either ex-military, ex-cop, or off duty, I feel safest when they are in the shop, especially on some later nights cause the area the store is in, is slowly having major issues with heroin/drugs.

What if's are pointless
    What if's[sic] are what rational people use to determine rational actions, to consider that pointless - especially when thinking about handling of not on a loaded gun, but a service gun is not what I call responsible.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Is a Police Chief ever considered to be "off duty"?

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Hyperbole is cool and all but yeah just leave your weapon in the vehicle if the building doesn't allow it. Not a big deal.
    Considering it is hyperbole arguments that he might end up shooting people for some obscure reason, just let the off duty police chief carry his weapon. Not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    That clinic might think better of it when they actually need the police and the police take a good bit of time to show up.
    They didn't tell him he couldn't come in nor did they keep an on duty officer from entering. As a patient he wasn't allowed to bring his gun in, which he isn't required to carry at all times. Rational reaction though, a guy can't bring in his gun now you suggest he forgoes his job or commits a crime himself, brilliant.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Findlyn View Post
    There is a difference between carrying around a long rifle to be a troll exercising their right, and an off-duty officer carrying a firearm. Especially if they are a Chief, its almost dumb for them not to carry. Maybe he should have done conceal carry instead of open carry, but people also shouldn't be so sheltered the very sight of a legal gun owner having a gun scares them. You might be surprised at some area's at how many people around you might be carrying.

I go to a hobby shop to play card/board/miniature games and at any time there can be up to 6 people in the shop(that I know of) that are conceal carrying, and the average person doesn't even know. Everyone else that knows either carrier themselves, former carrier, or just know them really well. Most are also either ex-military, ex-cop, or off duty, I feel safest when they are in the shop, especially on some later nights cause the area the store is in, is slowly having major issues with heroin/drugs.
    I miss read the original post I replied to but I still don't see a reason. You wouldn't be uneasy rather its some one trolling with a rifle or some one openly carrying a pistol there both a deadly weapon. It's conceal carry then you don't really have to be uneasy as something you don't know is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    Is a Police Chief ever considered to be "off duty"?
    Of course a Police Chief can be off duty. They might be on-call...but that's not the same as on duty.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Your belief in the police to not sufficiently protect you (from paranoid fears of what I don't know) entirely misses the point. It's probably more likely you'd get struck by lightning than anything happening in a Dr.'s office, yet we don't run around in constant fear of it. Sometimes we have to walk outdoors in the rain and take our (very slim) chances at being struck, but it's better than hiding out in a basement all day.

But I'm willing to bet that if the gun-toters were honest, it's not fear of criminal attack. It's just their wanting to carry guns as an ego trip and/or the hope that some day they'll get the chance to play John Wayne the hero, gun down some "bad guy", and get away with it.

But real life isn't a cowboys & indians movie.
    I lock my doors at night. Does that make me paranoid?

I think you are projecting. Attributing a need to feel powerful as the reason people do things. i think maybe you should take a look at yourself and see if you have any insecurities.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    That's because that is irresponsible, and there are too many irresponsible gun owners out there that make good ones look bad. Yes, some of them are even police officers.
    So not wanting to leave a gun, in a vehicle that you are most likely not going to be seeing for the next 45 minutes to 1 hour+, and if someone sees you leaving the gun in the car realizing it could be an easy steal is irresponsible? other than having a mini armored truck, a gun would be easy to steal in the time frame if someone really wanted to. Highly unlikely? Yeah, of course. But so is the chance of the cop doing anything malicious with it, most likely far more likely to be able to help in a situation if it randomly came up, but at this point we are just spit balling random, unlikely to happen situations.

Maybe if we stop being so god damn scared of every fucking thing, and just move on throughout our day, we would be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    I don't know any of the legalities involved but the clinic was definitely being paranoid. Do they really believe an off duty cop with his service gun was going to be a threat? I think they were just making an Antigun statement for the sake of it.
    I doubt they were trying to make any statement. Pretty much all hospitals and doctors offices are weapons free with the exception being on duty law enforcement, which this guy wasn't. There is no reason for the gun to be brought in there and for the people there it can easily cause unneeded stress.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    What if's[sic] are what rational people use to determine rational actions, to consider that pointless - especially when thinking about handling of not on a loaded gun, but a service gun is not what I call responsible.
    When you have no info rather the cop had the means to lock his gun in his car stafly and are trying to say people would be in an uproar when some Sincero you made up with no basis in facts happens it is indeed pointless.

I miss read the original post I replied to but I still don't see a reason. You wouldn't be uneasy rather its some one trolling with a rifle or some one openly carrying a pistol there both a deadly weapon. It's conceal carry then you don't really have to be uneasy as something you don't know is there.
    People open carry and conceal carry knives that are very deadly, people don't think twice about that.

Part of the issue with a lot of this, is the cultural difference between those that generally live in cities/high populated area's that there isn't nearly the need. Versus those that live in more rural area's that can have extremely long response times. First group just aren't accustomed to guns outside of media of news and video games they only see a instrument to cause harm and violence. The others usually grow up seeing it as a tool for self protection, survival(hunting), and sport(also hunting or just sport shooting).

When I see someone open carrying a firearm in my state, the only time it puts me at unease, is when I notice others are at unease with it cause I live in one of the few urban area's of the state that is less accustomed to firearms. I recognize that people may feel at unease, but people feel unease at a lot of things. That doesn't mean we should make those people forced to comply with us. It is like the meme of Marge Simpson in regards to watching UFC, she feels since she doesn't like it, no one should be able to do it/watch it.

7+ Year Old Account
    So not wanting to leave a gun, in a vehicle that you are most likely not going to be seeing for the next 45 minutes to 1 hour+, and if someone sees you leaving the gun in the car realizing it could be an easy steal is irresponsible? other than having a mini armored truck, a gun would be easy to steal in the time frame if someone really wanted to. Highly unlikely? Yeah, of course. But so is the chance of the cop doing anything malicious with it, most likely far more likely to be able to help in a situation if it randomly came up, but at this point we are just spit balling random, unlikely to happen situations.

Maybe if we stop being so god damn scared of every fucking thing, and just move on throughout our day, we would be happier.
    you are aware your saying we shouldn't be so damn scared right after saying the cop cant leave his gun in his card cause your scared some one will break in and steal it right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering it is hyperbole arguments that he might end up shooting people for some obscure reason, just let the off duty police chief carry his weapon. Not a big deal.
    Or we could just apply the same policy laid out for civilians on off duty police officers.

When you have no info
    Correction WE have no info, I'm just saying not to make assumptions ... you are making assumptions.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

you are aware your saying we shouldn't be so damn scared right after saying the cop cant leave his gun in his card cause your scared some one will break in and steal it right?
    A regular citizen or an off duty cop with a gun? No problem. Someone who broke into a car to get the gun? Thats a problem.

7+ Year Old Account
    People open carry and conceal carry knives that are very deadly, people don't think twice about that.

Part of the issue with a lot of this, is the cultural difference between those that generally live in cities/high populated area's that there isn't nearly the need. Versus those that live in more rural area's that can have extremely long response times. First group just aren't accustomed to guns outside of media of news and video games they only see a instrument to cause harm and violence. The others usually grow up seeing it as a tool for self protection and sport.

When I see someone open carrying a firearm in my state, the only time it puts me at unease, is when I notice others are at unease with it cause I live in one of the few urban area's of the state that is less accustomed to firearms. I recognize that people may feel at unease, but people feel unease at a lot of things. That doesn't mean we should make those people forced to comply with us. It is like the meme of Marge Simpson in regards to watching UFC, she feels since she doesn't like it, no one should be able to do it/watch it.
    i don't know where you live that people are openly walking around with knifes and no one cares. unless there like a gardener or working on some thing (car, wood work, ect) nothing like that has happend when i lived in a rural area or in a city.

and i don't think people should be forced to comply but i do think it makes sense for people to be uneasy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Correction WE have no info, I'm just saying not to make assumptions ... you are making assumptions.
    wait so i'm making an assumption because i said some one else assumption that the gun would/could get stolen and people would freak out is pointless?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    A regular citizen or an off duty cop with a gun? No problem. Someone who broke into a car to get the gun? Thats a problem.
    how would you know to be scared of some one who stole a gun from a car if you didn't see it happen?