Poll: Are you in favor of altering your pets to give them the classic breed look?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Spaying/neutering is fine by me.
    Declawing is also fine.
    Cosmetic surgeries are a little much though, unless it's a show animal.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Spaying/neutering is fine by me.
    Declawing is also fine.
    Cosmetic surgeries are a little much though, unless it's a show animal.
    Declawing fine?

I thought we were pals....

I'm all for declawing. The other stuff seems rather pointless.

I'm generally in favor of neutering pets if you're not gonna use them for breeding, since accidents aren't cool with me. Also prevents some other possible health problems, so yeah. I had to get my dog neutered because he was a crypto, and I wasn't gonna breed him, so he got snipped.

That said, I'm staunchly 'pro-choice' first and foremost when it comes to neutering, since there's no real danger to not fixing your pet, I'd just personally prefer to have it done so accidents don't happen, and to prevent possible health issues related to it, but that's me, and I entirely understand why others think differently.

Anything aside from that, no, not in favor at all, and don't even get me started on the cruelty that is de-clawing or squelching. If you want to go that far, get rid of the animal instead, re-home the poor thing, since you don't actually want it in the first place if you want to mutilate it to such an extent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kamov View Post
    I'm all for declawing. The other stuff seems rather pointless.
    So you're ok with removing the outer joint of their paws, causing them trouble and pain while walking, ok. Please don't ever get a cat. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    So you're okay with mutilating their private parts, but not other parts of their body? Also, its not really mutilating the dog when its done early when they are puppies imo. Its like circumcising a child at birth, its a quick snip procedure and its done.
    Which should be illegal apart from actual medical reasons, so it's a great comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Which should be illegal apart from actual medical reasons, so it's a great comparison.
    No it should not be illegal. Its the parents choice to give their child a better life in terms of personal hygiene.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see declawing a cat but anything else seems wrong to me. I love dogs with tails and ears.

No it should not be illegal. Its the parents choice to give their child a better life in terms of personal hygiene.
    No, it should be the kid's choice when they're old enough to make it for themselves, as it also has cons. Like dulling feeling during sexy times.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    I can see declawing a cat but anything else seems wrong to me. I love dogs with tails and ears.
    https://www.aspca.org/about-us/aspca...declawing-cats Educate yourself. De-clawing is needless cruelty unless there literally is no other way. I'd personally put the poor thing down rather than de-clawing it though.
    Last edited by Halyon; 2017-08-14 at 10:47 PM.

Spaying/neutering, yes. Declawing, tail/ear docking... hell no... breeding of 'desired' physical traits just to make a dog more attractive. Definitely not. For instance, people who breed German Shepherds to have a dipped back when they should be straight and box shaped. It ups their chances of hip dysplasia.

Declawing pisses me more than anything, especially if the cat is an outdoor cat. Good job at taking away one of their natural defenses. It's like getting your fingers chopped down to your knuckles.

getting the duclaw removed is ok i think, they seem to be more trouble than they're worth.

other than that, no, cropping and declawing is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    https://www.aspca.org/about-us/aspca...declawing-cats Educate yourself. De-clawing is needless cruelty unless there literally is no other way. I'd personally put the poor thing down rather than de-clawing it though.
    Castration is also needless cruelty under most of the reasons listed on that website.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it should be the kid's choice when they're old enough to make it for themselves, as it also has cons. Like dulling feeling during sexy times.
    If people are okay with killing the child (abortion) before birth and taking away ALL choice from the child, i think its safe to assume its the parent's choice to give their child a better life by getting them circumcised when they are infants, or for religions reasons.

OT:

I am considering buying a new mini schnauzer puppy, and I haven't found one seller that HASN'T cropped the tail and duclaws. Its a common practice for mini schnauzers and its culturally accepted, at least here in the United States.

7+ Year Old Account
    Leave those poor animals alone as they are.

What the actual fuck? Having been circumcised recently for medical reasons I can tell you that even with a not working properly foreskin I was perfectly able to keep my fella clean. Sure it's maybe 10 seconds faster to clean it now but I don't think personal hygiene is any sort of reason to circumcise a child who has no say in the matter....

(Also it's far less sensitive than it used to be so there goes that common talking point about circumcision too)

Enough on the Off topic now and on to pets, if you wouldn't do it to your child then why would you do it to your pet? Other than spaying / neutering if you don't want to breed from them I think it's completely wrong to alter your pet to suit your tastes...
    Last edited by Attackrabbit; 2017-08-14 at 11:04 PM.

If people are okay with killing the child (abortion) before birth and taking away ALL choice from the child, i think its safe to assume its the parent's choice to give their child a better life by getting them circumcised when they are infants, or for religions reasons.

OT:

I am considering buying a new mini schnauzer puppy, and I haven't found one seller that HASN'T cropped the tail and duclaws. Its a common practice for mini schnauzers and its culturally accepted, at least here in the United States.
    Good thing abortions don't kill children then! Voiding your little bait there.

OT: It's 'culturally' supported to do a lot of shitty things to pets. So that's not really an excuse.

10+ Year Old Account
    The surgery involves the risk of anesthesia, excessive bleeding and postoperative complications, including infection, and is accompanied by pain that may last from several days to much longer unless appropriate pain control is provided.
    So you'd rather kill your cat than give it some pain killers? I'd like to have a cat that I know won't claw the shit out of someone.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are you in favor of altering your pets to make them look better? IE: some dog breeds look much better when they have their tails cropped, and ears cropped, which gives them the classic look. For example:

Miniature Schnauzer:

This is the classic look for miniature schnauzers, and this one has its ears cropped (so they stay up straight), as well as its tail cropped.

I will add a general poll to see the results of the community's opinions.
    Fucking hell nay. They're animals, not accessories.

no, of course not. if a person wants to deform themselves in the misguided belief that it'll improve their looks then that's up to them, but inflicting it on another person or animal with no ability to consent is obviously wrong

7+ Year Old Account
    Unless it benefits them in a healthy fashion, no. In my eyes, those people are monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Declawing fine?

I thought we were pals....
    While it's a gruesome procedure, most people use it as a last resort. I'd never declaw my cat personally, but if it came down to giving her up (i.e. most likely her ending up put down) or declawing her to stop the damage, I'd choose the latter.

If it's cosmetic - then definitely no.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis