Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollowlithic View Post
    Lefties would want it controlled. Righties would want it not controlled.
    Unless it was against what they were saying.

Quote Originally Posted by toxicrusader View Post
    I don't know which tone you took to read my argument but here we go...

While punching people is wrong, the nazi salute is more dangerous, don't you think?
    One held his hand in the air and made a gesture. The other made a fist and hit someone else in the face.

Only one of these actually hurt someone.

While punching people is wrong, the nazi salute is more dangerous, don't you think?
    Not even a little bit.

If I did a nazi salute right now, how badly would it hurt you?
    If I were to punch you in the face, how badly would it hurt you?
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't know which tone you took to read my argument but here we go...

A Nazi salute is not dangerous by itself. A good analogy here is burning the American flag. Maybe it hurts someones feelings, but that's not an excuse to outlaw an expression.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    no, people that don't want to be in a fucking orwellian fascist nightmare want it not controlled.

i'm left leaning on the majroity of everything i believe in, and that SHOULD include protecting freedom of speech.

so what's worse? controlling it obviously, it's the path to fascism and dictatorship.
    MFW the entirety of Europe is an Orwellian fascist nightmare dictatorship.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowlithic View Post
    Lefties would want it controlled. Righties would want it not controlled.
    No, thats not quite true. Extremists on both sides want to control what you say and do. The left and the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Not controlling it is worse than controlling it.
    Right, as long as the correct people are controlling what is acceptable to say and think everything will turn out wonderfully...
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Yeah these points are consistent, multiple entities, multiple narratives. The only way that gets reduced to one is with some type of futuristic Borg technology.
    You are talking about a totally different subject than I am.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispraise View Post
    The discussion is about which is worse, control or lack of control. Two extremes. Presenting only half the argument fails to illustrate the whole picture. If you're going to list the extreme of lack of control, I'm going to list the extreme of control. You say slander, threats, verbal abuse, inciting to riot. I say ideological boxes, censorship, thought policing and the suppression of ideas. Discourse is not healthy under the former, but it doesn't exist at all under the latter.
    Okay have fun being contrary I guess?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Controlling of freedom of speech.

/looking around MMO -C forums

Yeah, definitely Controlling of freedom of speech.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    If people want speech controlled they should move to North Korea. plenty of that going on there.
    Or every nation on the planet. Because every nation controls speech in some way or other.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Okay have fun being contrary I guess?
    If you can't be assed to present an argument there's not much to discuss.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Or every nation on the planet. Because every nation controls speech in some way or other.
    The US government does almost zero controlling of citizen speech. Practically every case is based around a non-speech charge, such as threat of violence or financial damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can't be assed to present an argument there's not much to discuss.
    What's to argue?

You didn't start the thread. I didn't respond to you. I don't give a flying fuck what you think.

The OP asked for opinions you have one, I have one, great whatever there's no intelligent value to these threads. I said my piece, you can like it, you can hate it you can not give a shit about it. I really don't care but I'm sure as hell not going to engage in an argument with some random dude on the internet.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The US government does almost zero controlling of citizen speech. Practically every case is based around a non-speech charge, such as threat of violence or financial damage.
    Any free speech absolutist should be appalled at those.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Any free speech absolutist should be appalled at those.
    Why? The charges are not based on speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Like by that I mean what's worse.

Say someone writes a feminist article and moderates all reader comments to his/her liking or, regardless of how hateful or cruel, leaves it be. Just an example.
    There is a disconnect between the title of the thread and the example you give. Censorship thru moderation in that regard is not a free speech issue.

With regard to the example you give, can you imagine scenario where you kick a nonviolent person out of your house (including a stranger) or do you think any person at all should have the right to do and say what (s)he wants while in your home because of free speech? For the same reason, online communities can and should be able to do as they please with regard to filtering content. This is way different from this other person having the right to say what they want in their own home or elsewhere, and doing it at all might still have consequences.
    Last edited by elaina; 2017-08-15 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balrogix View Post
    One held his hand in the air and made a gesture. The other made a fist and hit someone else in the face.

Only one of these actually hurt someone.
    Not even a little bit.

If I did a nazi salute right now, how badly would it hurt you?
    If I were to punch you in the face, how badly would it hurt you?
    A Nazi salute is not dangerous by itself. A good analogy here is burning the American flag. Maybe it hurts someones feelings, but that's not an excuse to outlaw an expression.
    People get punched in bars everyday worldwide and nobody bats an eye, but you guys had to stand up for this one cause you know, freedom of speech?

Why? The charges are not based on speech.
    Any words coming from someone's mouth is speech.

- - - Updated - - -

People get punched in bars everyday worldwide and nobody bats an eye, but you guys had to stand up for this one cause you know, freedom of speech?
    I really don't get why Nazis is the hill freeze peach advocates want so desperately die on.

The paradox of tolerance, first described by Karl Popper in 1945, is a decision theory paradox. The paradox states that if a society is tolerant without limit, their ability to be tolerant will eventually be seized or destroyed by the intolerant. Popper came to the seemingly paradoxical conclusion that in order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.