Page 1 of 54
... LastLast

Protesters destroy confederate monument in Durham

I don't think they had a permit for that. Seems like the left is in total control of the streets now. At this rate, the center will not hold...
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I don't understand the logic of destroying monuments. You can't erase the past, only hide it. Only people who hide things are either: ashamed or embarrassed.

Also, shameful to destroy a monument. It's dedicated to lives lost or accomplishments, not their ideology
    Last edited by HAcoreRD; 2017-08-15 at 01:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like the toppling of Saddam.

How fitting.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where's the police to protect public property? Literally vandalism.

If you believe a statue should be taken down, start a petition or some shit like that.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Do people not realize how stupid they look kicking inanimate metal objects?

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Seems like the left is in total control of the streets now.
    So melodramatic.

A United Daughters of the Confederacy website says the Confederate Soldiers Monument was erected in 1924.

Mmmm, I don't think tearing down public statues is a good idea.

1924 there still would be living Confederate soldiers around, they'd be in their 70-80's.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by HAcoreRD View Post
    I don't understand the logic of destroying monuments. You can't erase the past, only hide it. Only people who hide things are either: ashamed or embarrassed.

Also, shameful to destroy a monument. It's dedicated to lives lost or accomplishments, not their ideology
    Like the accomplishment of oppressing people because it fits with their ideology.

Quote Originally Posted by Lartok View Post
    Like the accomplishment of oppressing people because it fits with their ideology.
    Better go tear down statues of the forefathers for oppressing the native Americans. Or are we 50 years too early for that?

Have to disagree. It's not a memorial to those who lost their lives. It's literally dedicated to the confederate states of America. It serves no purpose other than to glorify the confederacy

I don't understand the logic of the people who started punching the statue after they pulled it down.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Looks like the toppling of Saddam.

How fitting.
    That's frightening considering the genocide that followed.

Nothing is being hidden. The past is still there. There is no need to glorify it though. See no Hitler statues in Germany,

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Have to disagree. It's not a memorial to those who lost their lives. It's literally dedicated to the confederate states of America. It serves no purpose other than to glorify the confederacy
    I always saw it like particerpation trophies. Like "here is a statue for getting ruined on day 3 at Gettysburg, or here's a monument since we went wild and Sherman torched most of the city."

If there is truly glory in defeat, maybe I can't see it.

10+ Year Old Account
    So now we're probably going to get armed southerners guarding statues showing up at the remaining statues.

Lovely

Wonder what will happen with those two getting removed in Kentucky? I think it's Kentucky

Edit: Yea it's Lexington KY
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/13/us/ken...nts/index.html
    Last edited by Seiklis; 2017-08-15 at 01:54 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    1924 there still would be living Confederate soldiers around, they'd be in their 70-80's.
    oO Say what? The youngest soldier (assuming the youngest soldiers were 15 at the time) would be 108 today.
    Last edited by mmoc472a5d728c; 2017-08-15 at 01:56 AM.

Yeah even though i agree the whole south fetish is stupid, this is just not good.
    History needs to be preserved or we wont learn from it, which is exactly why these nazi/southern/stupid idiots are so prevalent right now.
    Don't tear it down, put a plaque on it explaining why its there, why its a bad sign and teach people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chosenkiwi View Post
    oO Say what? The youngest soldier (assuming the youngest soldiers were 15 at the time) would be 108 today.
    He meant in 1924

Quote Originally Posted by chosenkiwi View Post
    oO Say what?
    Well the last veteran of the Confederacy died in 1950's so yeah there were prob a decent amount still around in 1924.