Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I should note that Germany was smart enough to realize their... 'controversial past' was not something to be proud of or to hang up monuments for.

10+ Year Old Account
    least no 1 died.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chosenkiwi View Post
    oO Say what? The youngest soldier (assuming the youngest soldiers were 15 at the time) would be 108 today.
    Your reading comprehension skills are lacking.

In 1924, the Confederate soldiers that would still be alive would have been in their 70's and 80's.

The US Civil War took place between 1861 and 1865. Even someone born in 1861 would be 156 years old today.

This was all very clear in the poster's comment, so judging by your confusion, it's you that has the problem not the poster to whom you are responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I should note that Germany was smart enough to realize their... 'controversial past' was not something to be proud of or to hang up monuments for.
    Fairly sure germany has WWI memorials. They were the defeated party and did some rather bad shit in that war. I would say what they did is at-least on par with the confederacy during the war but of course no where near the nazis. That said it should be up to the communitys if the statues stay or not. Taking matters into your own hands only escalates a already tense situation. I would not be shocked if now we will hear about a statue of martian luther king or a civil rights leader being destroyed in the coming weeks by neo nazis.
    Last edited by Rumred; 2017-08-15 at 02:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    oO Say what? The youngest soldier (assuming the youngest soldiers were 15 at the time) would be 108 today.
    18 year olds at Gettysburg would have been born in 1844-45. So they would have been 80 in 1924

1924 was a very rough year in general. The Old Democratic Party's Convention that year is well known as the Klanbake where half the delegates, KKK members, were actively going against the other nominee for being catholic. It was the height of the KKK resurgence. The 2nd day in they crossed into New Jersey and had one of the largest cross burnings ever. After 16 days of madness they finally selected a nominee to get slaughtered up by Coolidge in the General Election.
    Last edited by Seiklis; 2017-08-15 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aviger View Post
    Yeah even though i agree the whole south fetish is stupid, this is just not good.
    History needs to be preserved or we wont learn from it, which is exactly why these nazi/southern/stupid idiots are so prevalent right now.
    Don't tear it down, put a plaque on it explaining why its there, why its a bad sign and teach people.
    Agreed. 100%

10+ Year Old Account
    last known confed one died Dec of 1951, last union Aug of 1956
    south lost that too

ah, too bad I wasn't there to spit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Etselion View Post
    Patriots.

Terrible example given how that ended up for them

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Your reading comprehension skills are lacking.

In 1924, the Confederate soldiers that would still be alive would have been in their 70's and 80's.

The US Civil War took place between 1861 and 1865. Even someone born in 1861 would be 156 years old today.

This was all very clear in the poster's comment, so judging by your confusion, it's you that has the problem not the poster to whom you are responding.

Sounds like youré holding a cup of tea with your pinkie sticking out. But cheers mate, thanks for the clarification!

Problem is that it was erected in 1924 long after the civil war and long after the north pulled out. It should've been brought down when fdr, Eisenhower or lbj was president or jimmy carter or anyone after. The fact its happing now is rather dumb and silly and only serves to show how ignorant our country is. Heck it would've made more sense to happen under Obama since he was a child of white and black.

7+ Year Old Account
    Disgusting. Destroying parts of history like this is unacceptable.

Also, they're only empowering those on the far-right by reinforcing their narrative of the erasure of whites.

Quote Originally Posted by Taso View Post
    Problem is that it was erected in 1924 long after the civil war and long after the north pulled out. It should've been brought down when fdr, Eisenhower or lbj was president or jimmy carter or anyone after. The fact its happing now is rather dumb and silly and only serves to show how ignorant our country is. Heck it would've made more sense to happen under Obama since he was a child of white and black.
    States rights the federal government can't force them to take down any monument it has be done at the state and local level. You have to keep in mind that Mississippi did not even officially abolish slavery until 2013, a lot of these places will always be stuck in the past since their racism runs very deep.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HAcoreRD View Post
    Better go tear down statues of the forefathers for oppressing the native Americans. Or are we 50 years too early for that?
    Don't forget them owning slaves too.

Quote Originally Posted by HAcoreRD View Post
    I don't understand the logic of destroying monuments. You can't erase the past, only hide it. Only people who hide things are either: ashamed or embarrassed.

Also, shameful to destroy a monument. It's dedicated to lives lost or accomplishments, not their ideology
    I dunno how things are in the US, but here in Europe we try to write the past down in books and keep them in libraries or even people's homes. Recently we've been storing the past on computers and making it available over the internet.

Things like statues and other memorials are used for people or events we feel are worth celebrating, on occasion as attitudes change we may feel that some people or events are no longer worth celebrating and we change the statue or other memorials, but that doesn't mean we change or hide the past that we have written down in books or computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Taso View Post
    There is a process called reconciliation that happens after events like a civil war.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Don't care for monuments erected for traitors, but agree that the decision to take it down shouldn't fall to a mob mentality.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Its not being destroyed, its being moved to a museum! You can see history there!"

*Cheers as one monument is being destroyed*

okay....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Do people not realize how stupid they look kicking inanimate metal objects?
    Lol, for real. Look how a n g e r y they are at this lump of metal that isn't doing anything, it's not a good look. I cringed.

Sorry but putting up statues to celebrate people who supported the enslaving of a whole race.....is downright retarded.

gimee one good reason why we celebrate these people whom today would be considered traitors.

every time residents of CA talk about succession everyone on the right calls those silly liberals traitors, i don't see them putting up statues to celebrate them